• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe/SUV question

Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any still any SUVs where you can open the rear hatch almost fully with the canoe on the roof? I used to have a Jeep Liberty and that had a flat back. It was great. I could open the rear hatch and get to gear easily without having to remove the canoe from the roof. I "Upgraded" to a Jeep Grand Cherokee and didn't think about this feature at the time. The hatch back on the JGC has a curve to it and a spoiler at the top which makes it impossible to open the hatch at all when the canoe is on the roof. Any recommendations on models to look at if I decide to get rid of the Grand Cherokee?

Thanks

Sure. The base 2019 Subaru Forester does not have a spoiler. Its kind of a trade off.. the spoiler dissuades dirt from sticking to the rear window. No spoiler=dirtier rear window.. We are thinking of the spoiler no spoiler debate as we live on dirt roads.

Other SUVs may also have a base spoilerless model.

My wife just purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback and you can adjust the rear hatch to open as much or as little as you want....designed just for the purpose you described....With that said, I am not a big fan of the factory Outback roof rack.....If you get the Outback touring edition, it comes with a set of rails to accommodate after market racks, Specifically Thule, though I am sure you could find other manufacturers that would fit the rails....

Mike

The rear window on my 4Runner is electric and slides down out of the way so you can get to the stuff in the back without opening the hatch...you can open it using a key from the rear just like an old station wagon. 4Runner is kind of a love it or hate it vehicle...it's an older design but that's part of what I like about it. Current design has not changed since 2010 but the sales do not decline.

I have the same problems you describe. 2009 and a 2019 Mazda CX-9. Each with a spoiler on top of the rounded gate. I can generally open it enough to pull a pack/bag out, but otherwise I have to loosen the rear canoe strap and lift it up a bit to fully open the gate. It's annoying, but I deal with it, and I liked the car enough to get a new one this year. Perhaps you could solve it with a taller rear roof rack?

Wagoneer.JPG
07-11-2017-003_6e49b066-998b-4d9a-92ac-0e7759e69c25_520x.jpg

Rear window rolls down into rear door, and the door drops toward you when opening. Nothing opens upward other than the hood. Same for the old, full size Cherokees.
And no, this beaty is not part of my fleet. :(

This is why I loved the old Isuzu Trooper so much - doors that open like...doors. I wish they were still making it. It's also part of why I have left SUV's behind and gone to a pickup with shell. With the four door option so common now, it's the best of both worlds.

DSCF1670.jpg

Last edited:
Back