• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Canoe floor

Reaction score
I found these on Craigslist a couple months ago and finally got to put them to use. They worked great for a day trip,but don't think they would work for a fully loaded trip. I'm worried the additional height added would throw our center of gravity off. They did give me a great spot for my water and coffee and they make a great patio outside our tent.

Just thought I would share in case anyone was thinking of making a removable floor for their canoe.

Attachments

• 20200725_123057.jpg
    20200725_123057.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200725_130155.jpg
    20200725_130155.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200726_073735.jpg
    20200726_073735.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 0
The slatted floors were used in both traditional rib/canvas canoes and the Grumman canoes I started with in the 1950's. They keep your canvas packs and tootsies from getting wet in the bilge water. It is a HANGING OFFENSE to use a blue barrel in a traditional rib/plank canoe.

That's the first thing my girlfriend said. " My feet will stay dry"

it's only a water sport is my basic reply.

That's the first thing my girlfriend said. " My feet will stay dry"

it's only a water sport is my basic reply.

(Pssst . . . tell you a secret.)

Traditionally, canoeing was much more than a water sport. Slat floors in European and American canoes had much more practical uses than holding canvas packs. In fact, almost no one lugged 100+ pound Rob Roy, Rushton or wood-canvas canoes around in the woods. Folks had more stimulating activities to do in these new recreational vessels. A word was even coined around 1900 to describe these . . . traditional . . . activities.

H9hd5AK.jpg

H9hd5AK.jpg

XdCB3p4.jpg

(Don't tell anyone in the modern generation about these canoe floor traditions. It might draw pantywaist outrage those lemming social media sloughs that I hear about on the telegraph.)

Thanks Glen. The truth about the Golden Age of canoeing. Before cars were popular, canoes were the way to get away from people and gain some privacy.

In our younger days paddling naked was lots of fun. We did a couples trip with 4 couples and 4 canoes in the Boundary Waters. Skinny dipping every day and paddling naked was a blast. Now I mostly paddle with old men and dogs.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that canoe decks were made bigger and bigger so that couples could legitimately sit closer together. also, my scout troop used to put their frame packs in frame down to keep them dry.

Last edited:
Back