• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Can the Great Salt Lake be refilled from the ocean?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Scientists have studied the possibility of filling the receding Great Salt Lake with water from the Pacific Ocean, through an 800-mile ocean pump—and the results do not look good.

"The Great Salt Lake, in Utah, has seen a worrying decline in water levels in recent years. In November 2022, the lake reached its lowest level in recorded history at 4,188.2 feet, 17 feet below the level it should be."

I've never paddled the Great Salt Lake but I swam in it in 1982. The next time I was there was in 2004 when I was driving from Connecticut to California to pick up my custom Huki outrigger canoe, and it had receded quite a bit. But I didn't have the canoe on the trip out and I returned on a more northern route. I have paddled in other saline terminal lakes, such as Mono Lake, and it's too bad so many in the western U.S. are drying up.

We have an 800 mile pipe, that’s a big undertaking! I doubt it will get very far due to environmental concerns over the damage caused to the bourgeon population of Desert Dung Beetles or some other such critter. 😳

Back