• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Bowron Lakes Aug 25-Sept 1 2017. No wind. No rain.

There are some great campsites throughout the chain! I paddled the chute last September in my solo (Wenonah Encounter)--started making the turn at the bottom and got blinded by the sun--couldn't see what I was avoiding, but avoided it. Rangers were watching, so I guess I had to make it.

The first two times I paddled the chain (1984, 1988) we could line the boats up Babcock Creek the whole way. Now there's a long portage.
its a nice 1275.. Lining is now prohibited. Apparently people disturbed fertilized fish eggs/

Thanks for the TR. Sounds like a great trip, but it needs to be a little closer to the east coast.

We went out West for all summer. Figured at our age if we didn't start on doing the bucket list, the bucket would arrive too soon.. It has suddenly and seemingly unexpectedly for my sister in law and her husband who now are looking at nursing homes.

Hi everyone - just received the invitation for preliminary planning to go to Bowron Lakes in late June/early July.

Yellowcanoe - any specifics on what we can expect? Your trip report here and the pictures are going to be very helpful. I'll pass this information along.

Specific concerns are more about bugs and bears....

Also, is it okay to bring a composite canoe along? I just saw a 43 pound Northwind 17 come up on Craigslist. My lovely Prospector isn't cut out for this type of duty, nor am I up for pulling her up the inclines described here.

What else?

Thanks in advance!

Bugs probably. I dont worry about them as I have repellent bug jackets and taxtical plans and have mire at hone than on a typical canoe trip
Bears there are But bear lockers there are too so dont worry about packing heavy bear canisters that eat into your allotted sixty lb limit per canoe
We used an 18 foot 45 lb Kevlar canoe but that weight doesnt matter in the 60 lbs
The boats they rent are heavy beasts
Do keep an eye in the BC wikdfire page
We put off our trip a few weeks as it was closed due to fire that July

We used an 18 foot 45 lb Kevlar canoe but that weight doesnt matter in the 60 lbs

No, but it will make a difference on the portages... last time I checked, I gave up draft horse work some years back on the farm. I'd like to work smarter and not harder on this trip.

Do keep an eye in the BC wikdfire page
We put off our trip a few weeks as it was closed due to fire that July

Great idea! Thank you. :)

The portage trails are fine for portage wheels. If you don't have them, you can rent a set at the outfitter there. They're highly recommended, especially if you're packing a heavy boat. It's a great trip--I've done it 4 times over the last 35 years, but always in September.

We carted but granted the second long portage was full pf deep potholes and would have been easier not to cart

Ironically, the first/only time I used my cart, I had my lightest boat, and I actually missed the extra walking!

Yellowcanoe, those photographs are quite stunning. Thanks for sharing this beautiful paddle trip with us. Were you kidding about no wind or rain? Can't imagine a canoe trip with no wind or rain, sounds like a little slice of heaven. Mama

Yellowcanoe, those photographs are quite stunning. Thanks for sharing this beautiful paddle trip with us. Were you kidding about no wind or rain? Can't imagine a canoe trip with no wind or rain, sounds like a little slice of heaven. Mama

Not kidding. WIldfires were all around that dry summer.. Many people lost their homes and many others had to spend weeks evacuated. Bowron Lk PP was closed for over three weeks.

Nice report, lovely photos, thank you.
Do you (or Mason?) know whether there is a limit on number of days? I'm wondering about extending the trip to 10-12 days with some layovers for hiking.

Do you (or Mason?) know whether there is a limit on number of days? I'm wondering about extending the trip to 10-12 days with some layovers for hiking.

I don't think there is any limit on days.. We got our permit by trip and it took what it took. You don't reserve campsites or lakes There are a couple of short hikes I am aware of but I don't know about going in the mountains.. Bushwhacking?

On the pdf brochure (link follows) the limit is 14 nights. I couldn't find reference to the limit on the basic website. Hiking is pretty limited w/r/t trails. The only hike I know of, and listed on the maps, is a short trail to Cariboo Falls off Unna Lake. Off trail (bushwacking) would be difficult, as the area is heavily forested with a lot of lower understory.

For some reason, that link doesn't cut and paste correctly. Go to the Bowron Lakes site, and download the "Pre-trip Information Booklet" pdf.

Somehow I missed this TR too. YC we had the same zero wind three weeks earlier. One of the most memorable trips ever. Can't go back though, it'll never be that good again.

Back