• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Boat paint

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Need to paint a couple composite boats. What's everyone using and why?

I don't need anything fancy but if something is really that much better would probably be willing to spend the money. Not looking for a beautiful finish since I know the canoes are going to get beat up. Mostly just something to protect the hull from UV. I would just get an oil based deck/porch paint but I can't find any in the stores. The only oil base paint I can get locally is regular old Rustoleum and I don't know how that would do on a not so rigid non-metal surface.

Alan

I use the high end marine paint because that is what I have in the shop for the 'yachts' I work on all the time. I'm sure a good porch and deck paint would be fine. I only use oil base paint so would have to do some searching if I didn't have the yacht paint.
Jim

I've used the rustoleum marine topside paint on a few boats and been satisfied with the results. I've also been satisfied with the price. It seems tough enough, and easy to spray or roll. I wouldn't be surprised if the reg. rustoleum was pretty much the same paint.

Quinn

I used rustoleum on a couple oar blades, the paint was pretty soft in the beginning and chipped off easily. After a couple months it seems to be much more resilient, so just give it plenty of time to fully cure before you take them out on the water. Folks use that paint on polyester skin on frames, so it should be flexible enough for a composite.

I've been using Rona's floor and porch paint reinforced with epoxy here in Ontario, white base tinted to the right color at the store.

This might be available in the states at Home Depot, seems similar...

http://www.glidden.com/Products/Int...FloorInteriorExteriorOilAlkydPolyurethaneGlos

Others have written about using Tremclad/Rustoleum or car paint, with good results on canoes. If there's any doubt about the paint bonding well to the canoe try some of the new paint on a small patch and let it sit for several days... it should be difficult to remove by scraping with a knife. You probably know how to surface prep to insure a good bond... wash, rinse and sand well before painting.

I have had good luck with Interlux Briteside, both on a wood canvas and Fiberglass. This canoe was in *poor shape but looked good after 2 coats of Interlux with a lite sanding between coats. (4 " foam brush)

tzOR7oUBE3ODTpeOO0dqMZ-2zFBivbjfrjpRZFZA3gB1XK_UaNoxfF7XhujDJwmjSS-_1VMZOyxyuNXyQXNpjFcHlQN1AHlTrioJhtVgSO-Rg_ZQfk-CJvwCUW52XOLdk9_9N0I5FMW4_lnTrQzu8AqSikMOEoMdL74vXpLz5tBX-0yk2v2zTuJA8ZmIT0Ij_ThSAIDh-Y7fQXeuEFn9aM-ygttfBiKiqIgtHvEM6NUtzm6UjF4wmEzYE_akz7nUqcjGVo0q7TUrn_qXIQYSXdNxvWslo1GDqTY0b_tURfGfr9ADXS3fA70nFJHSpcTl68mFLs6g3EgXuzIu0-bN-c3CJEgmi2qokDuZqINn7JJwiL5mnj0Fotxd3P7UwR-SGyMBxfqKL4NZ-A-3Y0b50-_NxPkTcm8c5ZFTED2414-9Kq8iX_FKi2kuW25qTNvRf1jSpm3WFCsAQ-rdprU5P4Svt8yts8PrcEmaFPVTOdh_zF73pDKbRsb7c6CFlNGQUTgFqApc_FKZ-qpm06uKm6ry7F7ptTZGDNtwHlaZYVW-MfsbDfwg-lSOUGMddWhkXpOTN4MHPUi9L6WKmi6pswUfG1z2Y2x9PUrL1pkDEvX0IoV7knNs=w640-h480-no

* light fading, some scratches, no cracks

We use Tremclad on most all our boats, actually somewhat converted to the Home Hardware rust paint version. It does work well but don't use it on something that will be left in the water all the time, it actually will eventually peel off if it sits in water. Brightside is good as well, touch pricey here and if you like a super shiny finish that is what you need.

I believe Rustoleum bought Tremclad so it may be the same paint.

Inturlux Brightside, is a great product! I've used it many time on boat repairs and it seems to last the best!!

Another vote for Interlux Brightside!!
Did my Kite with it, it's holding up well, and the Kite gets abused! I rolled and tipped it, came out great.
Also, used Brightside on the sailboat that I built. It's been 14 years and it still is hanging on there. That boat was sprayed...roll and tip is sooo much easier!

View attachment DLqpqf5uyiTABPU3ZoeX7-UDzrZC9d7AttfWrB4KAfj88k9Fb7AmqZ2wgu_IFxMf25vq-sTEuQHIDGHs1lfhA9yX4l1dcNIJfaLP

View attachment yB7xlM4Wgjq_woLItiikenMzuDIUbZwDqPDYcbK6PlYi0MfBNqQVmDGKjFoknhl9vg2RbOoOMmgPFryjihjh5b6kM5xvTgZaMJF8

Back