• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Blood alcohol and death in cold water

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The recent thread on swimming in winter waters reminded me that I've read that most people drown in frigid waters from the "cold shock response" rather than hypothermia. I'm not going to take the risk of that. So, maybe getting bombed would save me, as it supposedly did for the only person to survive in the water after the sinking of the Titanic.

You can read about how chief baker Charles Joughin survived drowning in the frigid North Atlantic, physically and mentally, because of his high blood alcohol content, here:

I'm not convinced by this explanation, as this author from McGill wasn't:

In any event, I haven't had any booze in 35 years and don't ever plan on imbibing again, so I'm not likely to be saved in cold waters by Jack Daniels. I'll just follow my current age instincts and avoid paddling in cold water or cold air. I had plenty of both when I was under 65.

I've read that most people drown in frigid waters from the "cold shock response" rather than hypothermia.

This topic was discussed at some length in the Wooden Boat forum many years ago. The response at https://forum.woodenboat.com/forum/misc-boat-related/160972?p=4981286#post4981286 has a good summary. The short version is that a person who demonstrated survival suits and knew exactly what to expect still could not prevent the involuntary reactions to cold water. Be careful out there,

Benson

Back