• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Bent Paddle Brew pub, Duluth, MN

Reaction score
My tripping partner and I recently returned from our annual BWCA trip. When possible, we always try to stop either on the way up or back as we pass through Duluth at the Bent paddle tasting room. They expanded operations last year and moved to a new location I block away from the original spot. They out did themselves! The building is an old turn of the century 3 story brick building that formerly housed a family owned furniture store. They don't serve food, but on weekends there is normally a food truck parked out front and there are several neighborhood restaurants that offer delivery service. Hanging as decorations on the exposed wooden columns are handmade paddles from local craftsmen. They offer about a dozen of their beers on tap. Attached is a photo of their coaster.....

Mike

Attachments

• photo10576.jpg
    photo10576.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 1
We just started getting their beer here, and I've had it at a few festivals in the past. I'm also a big fan of Fitger's in Duluth.

I have not been to the new space but I like their beer. I've found it at liquor stores in WI, MN, and ND. My favorite all summer has been their session pale ale which is named "Kanu" and, of course, features a canoe on the can.

The other excellent session pale ale I see distributed here in the upper midwest is from Founder's in Michigan and named "All Day IPA". It also features a canoe on the can...

One should not speak about beer from the North Shore without mentioning Castle Danger's "Cream Ale". Most all bars in the area have it on tap, which means a lot. They also have a tap room in Two Harbors just a few blocks south of 61. I have found it in cans but I don't remember if there was a canoe on the can or not.

My favorite way to pack beer is in a stainless steel vacuum insulated growler, filled fresh at a tap room en route (see above). Usually the half gallon of beer is consumed on the first night. While not an ultralight option (we are talking about packing beer, after all) the growler does serve further purpose as a nearly indestructible thermos. In the summer I leave water filtration bags hanging overnight so I can fill the growler with the cool water in the mornings. During the shoulder seasons I've used the breakfast fire to prepare soup or chili for a hot lunch on the go. I take it ice fishing filled with coffee. It is an incredibly versatile, rugged container. And great for beer.

I've been to Fitgers and felt kind of "lost". The place is so big and compartmentalized. Too big for me though my tripping partner loves it. I did stop at Castle Danger in Two harbors a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Mike

Back