• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

​BandAid B#$%@

G

I spent the last 4 weeks working to winterize the grounds and buildings of a departed friend’s conservation organization. I am weary, bruised and bloodied. To the latter I am reminded that I have long had complaints about Band-aid packaging.

90 percent of the nicks, cuts and slices I have experienced in while tripping or camping have been on my fingers, knuckles or somewhere else on a hand. And the fingers most often in need of bandaging, my thumb or index finger, are typically dripping blood.

That being the most often case why do the should-be-simple tear off wrappers on Band-aids (brand) require the use of both hands, reading glasses and tweezers to find and grasp the teensyweensy wrapper separation on the paper packaging?

I just measured the short side of the pull-apart tab with a caliper – it is just over 1/16[SUP]th[/SUP] of an inch of flap to grasp. Seriously, I’m freaking bleeding here and working semi-one handed - gimme something obvious and easy to pull apart dammit.

Anyone have a preference in simple band-aid strips?

In our shop we use a few. Band-aid brand tough strips purchased by the 100 count box do the trick. The shorter tab is more than 1/8". Could be better...

Nu skin or balsam sap. I'm sure the latter is hard to find your way. 2x2 and narrow duct tape works for more aignificant cuts

I used to get nicks and cuts constantly on my fingers at work. Not lately though. I hated those plastic "waterproof" bandaids. They'd pucker and peel and slide right off, way too soon. I prefer the fabric kind. They stick well, but not waterproof. I even considered trying KrazyGlue. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/treatinginjuries/a/supergluecuts.htm
I never got the lid off. I figured I have enough trouble not sticking my fingers together when I'm fixing table lamps and coffee mugs, who knows what trouble I'd get into actually trying to get some on my fingers.
As far as the oh so tiny mere suggestion of a pull tab...yeah, I just ignore it and tear the bejeezus out of the paper packet. Some have a tiny red thread too. No thanks. By the time I find my glasses to see the tiny red thread, I'll have been healed by then. Or worse.
Sap. I'll remember that. Sappy fingers means never having to say you're sorry - you dropped it...because you can't.

Remove all band-aids from box upon purchase. Then remove all outer wrappings of the various contents. Store them in a zip-loc style bag, the kind with the plastic slider which is easily manipulated with banged up digits.

Back