• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Atikaki P.P. Park in Manitoba-Wallace Lake to Leyond, Berens and Pigeon Rivers

Reaction score
With all the fires in the upper mid-west and Canada some may be interested in exploring some new unburned canoe routes. This is a report on some of my travels in the area.

Attachments

• Wallace to the Leyond etc. pdf.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Outstanding trip report Marten! I can not trip this year, after reading your trip report … and remembering past travels with you, I realized how home sick I am to travel the back country again. This was a welcomed read for me as I sip my morning coffee and day dream of shining times.

Bob.

We had another Snowdown event last October and with the drought, low water and back country entry restrictions this year it is likely there is much tree damage on the Wanipigow R/ Broadleaf route as well as on the Mothers. We have not been in the area since 2017 thus have not done any portage maintenance and from our history, only ourselves and Marten have done the serious portage chainsaw work so the portages could be messy.

We had the big fire in the northern area of Atikaki this year which affect the middle and western portions of the Bloodvein, Leyond, Pigeon and Barrens Rivers. The Bloodvein/Leyond section is considered under control now at 108,000 hectares in size and the northern fire is being monitored at 369,000 hectares.

We allow nature to takes it's course with fires here as it is natural for the forests to burn occasionally. Structures, camps, the main road into the reserves and such are protected but otherwise the forest needs to burn and it has. The area south towards Aiken's is still prime for a large burn and with the fuel on the floor it is possible it will burn as our drought continues.

We travelled the area for 9 years and enjoyed all it had to offer including the wildlife, bears, caribou and cougar to name a few, as well as the quiet, high and low water, peaceful nights and bountiful lakes and rivers.

I'm sure it will beckon others in the coming years and more will stay and enjoy rather than just passing through to the Bloodvein River.

Karin / Christine

Thanks for the update on conditions and a heads up about the snowdown last fall. I well remember the WCPP snowdown of 2012 and spending three weeks with two chainsaws clearing through endless kms of severely blocked portages. Hopefully the damage will not be that bad this time. WCPP has pretty much burned up in the last few years and part of that is that the trees were so impacted from the snowdown and losing their tops that the insects moved in and finished them off leaving a massive amount of fuel to burn extra hot. We need the fires but its nice when they are spaced out over a few decades and keep a nice patchwork of varied age trees. Some do not like the fire in Quetico right now but if it stays about like it is will be good for the future and provide a firebreak for years to come.

Back