• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

​Another use for reflective tape

G

I have reflective tape on the stems and rudders of my boats, and one the food barrels, tarp poles, ends of large stakes and pretty much everything else I want to make nighttime apparent.

Or so I thought. The last couple of trips I had some where the heck are they moments trying to find my glasses case in the jumble of tent or truck.

All of my glasses cases are dark, brown or green or black. Not easy to spot amongst the detritus of gear.

A couple pieces of reflective tape should help.

Nice idea, how about on the tent stakes.

Makes them easier to see at night and find in the morning.

Nice idea, how about on the tent stakes.

Makes them easier to see at night and find in the morning.

Yup. The large mil-spec stakes I use for the tarp in windy areas have a square of reflective tape on the heads.

I have 78” crossbars on the truck rack. A piece of reflective tape on the front and back of each end of the crossbar is helpful there as well.

Thanks Mike! Over the time I've been reading your posts about this idea and that one, you sure have helped me improve my kit. One by one the ideas aren't "earth shaking" but rather, gently make the fusses in camping smooth out and let us enjoy the trip!

Thanks again!

Rob

One by one the ideas aren't "earth shaking" but rather, gently make the fusses in camping smooth out and let us enjoy the trip!

Rob, likewise here. I’ve adopted a number of ideas and fixes from things I’ve learned on Canoe Tripping. None of them were earth shaking revelations, but rather an accumulation of little stuff that, taken together, help make a trip smoother and more enjoyable.

I am fairly set in my ways when it comes to the big stuff, tent and tarp, boat and paddle choices and etc. It is the little niggling things that see constant improvement and help smooth the way.

This is a good idea. A lot of equipment like flashlights, wallets, glasses cases, etc seems to come in black nylon. It is very annoying trying to find that stuff in the dark. I like bright colors so equipment does not get left behind. Reflective tape on tent stakes is a great idea. I have used some surveying ribbon on stakes and guy lines with some success.

We are putting different color 3M reflective tape on our Zaveral paddles to make quick identification and some night visibility.

I have used a variety of reflective tapes, and the 3M stuff that REI sells is near useless for reflectivity. SOLAS tape works if you can find it in the cost/quantity desired. This stuff, Waterports High Intensity Reflective tape is excellent, and available in 10 ft or 15ft rolls in a variety of colors.

http://www.comfykayak.com/rtape

For comparison these small food barrels have both (red) 3M tape and (green, not the best reflective color) High Intensity tape on them. The only thing shining back is the High Intensity stuff.

Same green High Intensity tape on a green canoe.

That stuff blazes bright in flashlight or flash, and the several pieces bow and stern help me identify different family boats by their reflective pattern.

I need a reflective,neon stake bag for my hammock tarp. I have left it twice!
Turtle

I need a reflective,neon stake bag for my hammock tarp. I have left it twice!
Turtle

I’m gonna guess that the bag is some earth tone green or brown or etc.

Color choice is a dilemma. I don’t like my site to look like the Vegas Strip, but I’d prefer that some of my gear, especially the small stuff, not be unintentional camo.

As I have replaced gear over the year some things have become more visible, not just reflective tape on the boats and barrels (and toilet system when I use one…I really want to be able to locate that puppy in the middle of the night with a flashlight); some pouches and ditty bags are now can’t miss it bright yellow or orange, especially that stuff I’m likely to be using at night or tossing aside mid-use.

Finding the toiletry pouch or dishwashing ditty isn’t as much of an earth tone Easter egg hunt.

Just got our new paddles labeled/color coded. Not traditional paddles, sorry. But now we know which one is ours and which is the spare. Happy Easter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 1
Back