• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Allagash Lake Loop June 2020

Very nice video production. Thanks for taking the time, and effort, to do it.

I like the scenes where you are paddling away, except I panic and yell, "hey, wait, you forgot the camera!." Evidently you remember and go back for it--you went to some effort to make your video.

Perhaps I didn't pay close enough attention. It seems at one point you are working your way up Caucomgomic stream, you go off portaging, and the next thing I noticed was you are launching onto Allagash Lake, which is about 5 miles as the crow flies. No Ciss Stream/Round Pond? How'd you do that?

Very nice video production. Thanks for taking the time, and effort, to do it.

I like the scenes where you are paddling away, except I panic and yell, "hey, wait, you forgot the camera!." Evidently you remember and go back for it--you went to some effort to make your video.

Perhaps I didn't pay close enough attention. It seems at one point you are working your way up Caucomgomic stream, you go off portaging, and the next thing I noticed was you are launching onto Allagash Lake, which is about 5 miles as the crow flies. No Ciss Stream/Round Pond? How'd you do that?

Chip, after the portage from Caucomgomoc stream to Caucomgomoc Lake I did in fact paddle Ciss Stream. I captured some Moose footage on Ciss Stream and I tried my up side down photo of the mirror like water on the stream and skyline. That was Ciss Stream. I then paddled Round Pond hoping to find a campsite at the north end of the pond but they were all occupied by car campers. There was only one decision to make at this time and it was to hoof it for 2.25 miles to Allagash Lake. Thanks for watching the video!

Nice trip report ! Dave.

Hope you are back out on the water !

Any advice to new builders wanting to follow in your foot steps of building and Tripping with their first Home Built canoe ?

Jim

Nice trip report ! Dave.

Hope you are back out on the water !

Any advice to new builders wanting to follow in your foot steps of building and Tripping with their first Home Built canoe ?

Jim

I think the best advice that I can offer is to determine what type of canoe tripping can be accommodated by the desired to be built canoe. A new builder would need to identify what is the most important factor in regards to boat design....for me personally I needed more speed which I gained by shortening the beam to 34" (per Wabnaki design) from my customarily wide beamed 38" canoes and secondly was stablility considerations. I honestly did not know how the canoe would respond until I wet the hull, but now that I have canoe tripped with this canoe solo (Allagash Lake Loop) and tandem (recent trip with my son to Seboeis Lake...video to be posted on this forum tonight) I am very pleased with the performance, speed and stability. Very comfortable canoe and handles like a dream.

The weight management is also a factor though and through advice on this forum I learned the different ways in which I could reduce the weight of the canoe for portaging. In all actuality, the best advice that I can offer to a new builder would be to engage in conversation on this very forum and learn from the kind community that it hosts. The canoe tripping part that follows the actual build is all about the passion for wanting to do it in the first place so I would have to assume that a new builder would already have that passion. What they are lacking and what I lacked building my first canoe was experience, knowledge and the many craftsmanship tricks that are so kindly shared by this community. In summary, new canoe builders should indeed engage with this community and start developing those relationships as the wealth of knowledge is priceless!

Back