• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Allagash 17-23 June

I aam leading a trip there with the NH AMC Paddlers Memorial Day week if
I get enough people right now there is other besides me. My wedding aniversary is the 20th not sure it would go over too good if I took off :)

For the paddle, we drive in on Telos Rd to Indian Stream, Norman shuttles the cars out.

Not much into group thingys .. don't need a leader for that trip.. but will sure say hi if we see you.

I'm not looking to lead, just offering an opportunity to someone who might not otherwise go. It's kinda hard to get lost on that river.

Let me make a correction here, IF all you want to do is show up and spend a great week paddling and not have anything else to worry about, we can do that also for you. This will our 11th trip on some part of the Allagash Waterway (and I know that still put us in the newb category) but we know how to paddle the river and where to stay.
We have 5 of a total of 12 spots open. It's an 80+/- mile, one carry trip, in an area rich in history. We paddle heavy with lots of creature comforts.

I'm so bummed out, I'm making plans to go there around July 1 when school ends, :(

[QUOTE This will our 11th trip on some part of the Allagash Waterway (and I know that still put us in the newbi category) but we know how to paddle the river and where to stay.[/QUOTE]

Geee, if this is going to be my first time then what catagory do I fit in?

Mind if I send you a pm asking some info? Thanks
PS, You know that Cold Handle pan will be travelling with me!

PM away.

Rookie Newb?

How about one of those fortunate enough to know and went is the important one. I've met so many people that have told me that they always wanted to go but never did. I always relied with an invitation to the next paddle, and watch their excuse as to why they couldn't possibly do that.

Sounds like a nice trip.
Is it common to run into many other paddlers on a trip like that, on the Allagash?
Never been there myself.

Not usually then. There is a reason.. Its got six legs and bites and herds.. The campsites usually are large but 12 is the number limit per cell. Some sites have one cell some more.
One of the threats to the Allagash is actually under use. It used to be much more used in the 70's. There still are periods of heavy use among camp groups but camps start up about the time of this trip so they wont be canoe tripping for a few weeks.

The six legged biting pests can be dealt with. June is a good season to see moose.

Sounds like a nice trip.
Is it common to run into many other paddlers on a trip like that, on the Allagash?
Never been there myself.

It's a great relaxing trip.

We haven't met a whole lot of people on the Allagash. We general go the last week in June and there aren't a lot of people on the river at that time. If think we have only had three time in all the trips that the site we planned to stay at was occupied. A lot of Scouts are on the river that week. One year I counted 60 between Long Lake Dam and Round Pond. Fortunately a Thunder Storm to the north kept them on the Pond while we escaped ahead of them.

The six legged biting pests have never been a problem either.

Well then it sounds like you going at the right time.
Unfortunately school still in session for me then.
Maybe Coldfeet and I play hookie 'n join you 😉
Enjoy!

CF's looking to go the beginning of July

I have a small window this year my grandson graduates on the 16th and is going into the Army on the 5th of July and wants his grad/leaving party on the 22nd.

I'd be interested in such a trip. Never done it. However, I usually don't know whether I can go until the time is near. War takes preparation.

Glenn there is plenty of room and we don't need a commitment any times soon.
Beginning of June would be good. Same with anyone else, we're going anyways, join us if you can.

Glenn there is plenty of room and we don't need a commitment any times soon.
Beginning of June would be good. Same with anyone else, we're going anyways, join us if you can.

What's the shuttle plan -- leave cars at put-in or take-out, and how much does it cost?

Leave the cars at the put-in $150/car (as I remember it and if the rates haven't change in the last two years) split by the total # in the group. We're looking at just 2 cars right now.

Edit: just checked $180/car from Indian Stream 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Back