• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Advice on Possible Surplus Auction Purchase (MR Reflection 17)

Fantastic! The wood bits don’t look bad either. May still be worth tearing down and making sure the butt ends and holes are in good shape and coated, and if not coat them.

I had a MR Reflection 17 which is over 17 feet. They are a great big water boats. They are pretty fast and carry a load, and pretty dry in waves.
There is no reason you cannot paddle these boats solo. Bring a dog or two and put them in the bow for ballast.

I would paint over the US Army part.

Last edited:
Finally had the maiden voyage of the surplus canoe today on the historic, if not terribly scenic Rock River. I got my son Luke to go along, and he asked if we could take his friend Kam. Sure, why not?

We live on a bluff overlooking the river, but not right on the river. So we portaged the half mile or so down our driveway and down the road to put in. The river is pretty low so we had to walk through calf deep mud to launch.

As we got underway, we ran into a bit of a problem. My son really wanted to take our two dachshunds. Not really a big deal, because at least one of them has traveled in our inflatable kayak. Well, today they had a case of what we call RWS. Restless Wiener Syndrome. They happily jumped in the canoe. Then back out the other side into the river. We hauled them back in and pushed off. We hadn’t made it very far before the dogs started acting like they were going to jump out again.

At that point we called my other son and had him come down the hill and meet us while we dropped off the dogs with him. Of course at that point they wanted back in, but we figured the other son would get them back home. Not so. After going another 1/4 mile or so down river, we heard a bark and saw a couple wienies looking longingly from the bank. So we pulled over and they jumped back in.

The rest of the trip was relatively uneventful. It was a lovely day on the water. My wife met us at the takeout about five river miles downstream. She snapped a few pictures of the intrepid voyageurs coming in to shore. A good time was had, lessons were learned and the surplus canoe performed admirably.

Attachments

• 76A430D4-EF41-40DF-B54C-C514C6142ACA.jpeg
    76A430D4-EF41-40DF-B54C-C514C6142ACA.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 17
  • BEC73831-8E2E-481A-AA82-7EC427C9C16E.jpeg
    BEC73831-8E2E-481A-AA82-7EC427C9C16E.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
Back