• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Adirondack new member

As I think about it, I have a wood strip solo boat, a J Winters designed Kite, that I rarely use.
You’re certainly welcome to try it out to see if that sort of hull suits you. It’s a comfortable, maneuverable, seaworthy hull that’s not the fastest, but fast enough.
let me know if you’d like to try it out, I’m in the town of Colonie in the capital district.

Stripper - just took a look at them on the Green Valley site, sweet looking boat. What does it weigh? I'm looking for light as possible as I have 2 heavy kayaks that aren't fun to load on the car. Will keep you in mind during my search and appreciate the offer. We're in Chatham when not in Westport so in your area. Thanks again

Well, I have two of them.
My red Kite is the wood strip version, built extremely strong at 39 lbs. I rarely use it.
I also made a carbon copy of the same hull at 29 lbs, still heavier than it should have been (I blame the bias woven carbon gunnels) but that's my go to solo now.
Feel free to test paddle the red Kite when the water gets soft again...I'm mostly on your way up north to the ADK's.

Here's the Red Kite

ACtC-3dOMaeF-tp5u9UUkNkG89N7XsVrR3zmj4EvHvTi1Q2hzQyJVr4T9P25EVBdWcIscAcOE4JDrAe_TfC5uNkrN5Eb6BqPoM6T-B0RGhT8DfZWZDuOLxNJnBQIQzvdIBKl_QEELMqtEB2-dCuP2qwx8JCYUg=w590-h882-no?authuser=0.jpg

And here's the Carbon Copy

ACtC-3cojCvn6s8YN9ji8GZNSax0FNRr2vYe6t2gFjaDoJRKDcueExOOuNZeEZixfGX69iRej6ZfQg9U6i4Jh0q4W_5ylhZ7tzjrv1szhmxXMxpltqfb5ldhJTxyJTsumycT-wtOh7n8owEV-LvalP5w5Y0fJA=w1318-h882-no?authuser=0.jpg

Well, I have two of them.
My red Kite is the wood strip version, built extremely strong at 39 lbs. I rarely use it.
I also made a carbon copy of the same hull at 29 lbs, still heavier than it should have been (I blame the bias woven carbon gunnels) but that's my go to solo now.
Feel free to test paddle the red Kite when the water gets soft again...I'm mostly on your way up north to the ADK's.

Here's the Red Kite

And here's the Carbon Copy

Sounds good!

WooHoo! Scored a flawless Keewaydin 15' today. Gentleman bought it a couple years ago and literally used it once. Been taking up space in his garage so he decided to let it go.

Drove out to see it this morning and it has absolutely no scratches or signs of use so I could believe it was only used once.

Lots of extras: sling horses, cherry yoke, adjustable seat, foot braces, carbon fiber rails, storage cover, strap on seat back, and....oh yeah - an awesome cherry Fishell paddle with sock - perfect condition, almost too nice to use, but I will try it out.

I plan on using a kayak paddle - probably try my graphite one but not sure it is long enough. Looking at the Bending Branches and Werner adjustable length paddles.

Soo... I'm set for now. Got my lightweight (29#) solo Swift canoe and can't wait to get on the water.

Thanks to all of you for the help and suggestions. Timing is everything and just happened across this one so took the plunge!

Attachments

• photo18715.jpg
    photo18715.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo18716.jpg
    photo18716.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 2
Maiden Voyage!
Last Saturday was picture perfect day to get her wet. 70* calm waters and quiet water - doesn't get any better.
Getting used to the new boat and gear - paddles like a dream albeit a little tipsy entering but I need to get my sea legs back after a long hiatus from the paddle.
29# is so nice for carry, load on the truck.
Looking forward to a great season and maybe even catch a few fish!

Attachments

• photo18888.jpg
    photo18888.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18889.jpg
    photo18889.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18890.jpg
    photo18890.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 0
Jackpot! Finding a good used Swift is like winning the lottery. The Kee doesn't have the greatest initial stability but that's what makes it so manueverable though. The secondary stability is great though do still plenty stable enough. Not sure how it will do with your dog though. My Kee 14 was kinda tippy with mine, hence the reason I bought the Prospector.

Jackpot! Finding a good used Swift is like winning the lottery. The Kee doesn't have the greatest initial stability but that's what makes it so manueverable though. The secondary stability is great though do still plenty stable enough. Not sure how it will do with your dog though. My Kee 14 was kinda tippy with mine, hence the reason I bought the Prospector.

Thanks for the insight on your experience and I agree it might not be the best for the dog. Definitely is tippy as I found out first time out. Didn't push it to the secondary but look forward to testing it out as i get used to it.
I originally was thinking the prospector but couldn't pass up the deal on a virtually new boat. Might be a prospector in my future - or Hornbeck as they are made nearby and I want to check them out.

Back