• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

“Across the Everglades” by Willoughby, a canoe journey of exploration , published 1898.

Thanks for sharing this @Woodpuppy, we lived in Miami back in the 50’s and early 60’s and i’m familiar with what the glades were like from that time. This goes way back and im sure it will be a good read. I doubt it would be recognizable today.

Thanks for sharing this @Woodpuppy, we lived in Miami back in the 50’s and early 60’s and i’m familiar with what the glades were like from that time. This goes way back and im sure it will be a good read. I doubt it would be recognizable today.

I grew up off mm89 on Plantation Key, and we visited the glades by car and boat. That was in the 80s, so different/worse than you remember but I bet we’d both be horrified at the state of things now.

As i’m reading; i like the author mentioning (page 61) the encroachment of civilization pre 1900! What they must have seen during this early time period.

As i’m reading; i like the author mentioning (page 61) the encroachment of civilization pre 1900! What they must have seen during this early time period.

Can you imagine? No algae or hyacinth spoiling spring-fed waterways. No tilapia or zebra mussels… no stinking monkeys on the Silver River. No melaleuca, Brazilian pepper, lead tree…

Just finished redoing the expedition for the 125th anniversary.

CharlieA, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I have also edited your linked Willoughby URL so it would "unfurl". You can read how to do that in this thread:

Back