• Happy Scream Day! 😱

A tool recommendation - SawStop....and maybe other tools?

Reaction score
I have no connection to those who make or sell the SawStop table saws, other than having bought one.

I just have to put this here for anyone who might be in the market for a new table saw. Having had mine now for most of a year, I think I can safely say that I would not consider buying any other for a home shop - and it would be high on my list for commercial use as well.

You can learn all about it here.....

https://www.sawstop.com/

Many of you might remember my little saw accident a few years ago. It would never have happened (even with my moment of carelessness) with this saw. I had to get one when I could swing it, just to ease my mind - having experienced that pain one too many times. The safety aspect is reason #1 for having the SawStop. Not just for me, but also for those others who might also be using my shop - as I have always wanted to have it available for friends and family who don't have the collection of tools or shop space that I do. But I have found that there are more reasons to go with this saw......

The first thing you notice when the packages are delivered and opened (the cabinet version comes unassembled - as it would be impossible to deliver otherwise), is the quality of the packaging. All the small parts are in blister packs and labeled by name and number, and grouped by color. Then you see the manual with assembly instructions. Folks - I have never seen anything come with assembly instructions this good! The manual is loose-bound and printed in full color on heavy glossy stock. The instructions are written in plain English - obviously not translated from another language - by someone or some group who obviously has actually done the assembly (probably more than once) themselves, and established the proper sequence for every step. There was no looking forward or back, undoing or redoing, or any head-scratching involved. Assembly took the better part of a day, but went as smoothly as I could ever imagine. At the risk of repeating myself - I have never seen anything like it! Not even close! And the operating instruction s are just as good.

Operating instructions? Yeah - there's more to operating the SawStop than your typical table saw, partly because of the safety features. But also because of some of the convenience features (such as the quick-change riving knife). At first glance, the main safety features may seem to be time consuming and superfluous for the safety conscious woodworker. But in practice, they don't really change much, time-wise. Other things, like the ease of accuracy with the fence, or the design of the on-off operating switch make up for any of that.

I have yet to find a thing to complain about. Accuracy is a breeze. Dust management is excellent. The built-in retractable dolly system works great. The cast-iron table top and wings are flat and smooth (although I've seen a little better on high-end commercial stuff), and mate perfectly with the extension. The T-bar fence is first-rate. BTW - long before I bought, I also saw a live demonstration of the portable contractor's version, and I almost couldn't believe how well that saw managed dust - even without being hooked up to a collector.

Needles to say - I am impressed with the whole line. Mine is the 3hp Professional Cabinet saw (I'm no pro, but I believe in having more than I need, when I can afford it). A friend and former coworker has the same in 1.75 hp, and loves it. As mentioned, I saw the portable Jobsite saw in action, and was so impressed, I initially was tempted to just buy that. This saw replaced my old Powermatic 66, and while that Powermatic is a great saw (now belongs to my BIL), I am not missing it one bit.

That's it. I know you shop guys already have your tools, but I just had to put this here for anyone who might be shopping for a great table saw. Feel free to ask questions. And maybe if you have found a truly exceptional power tool, this would be a good thread to post it.

We recently acquired one for the school. The guy who installed it offered to use his own finger to demonstrate how safe it was, but me nerves just couldn't handle that. I will be using it for the first time soon, to cut up all the strips for my freighter, so i'll give a review sometime next week probably.

I've had my Sawstop 3hp cabinet saw for about 5 years now I suppose. Been very happy with it. What prompted me to buy one was my cabinet maker friend in Minneapolis. He has one and owes half of his finger to it.

Alan

My friend who has the 1.75 hp version advised me to get mine before I had my little accident. I should have listened then. :eek:

I mistakenly resisted, on the basis of a misguided belief that the device might lead to complacency. Even without the obvious failure on my part, I have come to understand that the knowledge of basically tossing a $100 bill every time the cartridge is fired will keep that from happening.

As much confidence as I have in the safety feature, I wouldn't use my own finger to demonstrate. :eek: They generally use a hot dog. But there have been stories.....

We replaced our old table saw at work with the Sawstop. Just under 10k for the one we got and it is used every day. Gone through more cartridges and saw blades than we would like since the operator keeps forgetting to disable it when running foam with the foil. At least he has not done it yet with the dado blade.

Gone through more cartridges and saw blades than we would like since the operator keeps forgetting to disable it when running foam with the foil. At least he has not done it yet with the dado blade.

Have you tried sharpening the blades after pulling them out of the ruined cartridge? Mine have appeared undamaged and the guy I sent the blades to for sharpening never said anything about them.

Foil faced foam got me one time too. I knew it was trouble as soon as I brought it into the shop and sure enough one day I was in a hurry, went to make a quick cut, and BAM! The blade disappeared. Took me a couple seconds to realize what had happened.

Carbon fiber will get you too.

Alan

We replaced our old table saw at work with the Sawstop. Just under 10k for the one we got...

That must be the commercial model. Mine was 3k.

Thanks for mentioning carbon fiber, Alan! I probably wouldn't have thought of that.

Our local Woodcrafters tells us that they can sometimes save the blade.

A little perspective....
Not counting the pain and less than perfect function after recovery (surprisingly good though), the cost of repair to my hand was right about $50k.

Back