• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

A new Bird in the fleet

That's a nice looking canoe, and I like the outfitting. You've given me ideas for improvements of my own. Thanks Conk.

Very cool outfitting. I've never seen a forward mount carry yoke before. Believe that's the way I'd go if regular portage was a part of my reality.

By the way, I'm lovin' my Conk seat. The factory Magic seat has a nice contour but yours is more progressive and the contour wider. Nice to move around on when the water grows active. My skinny butt and thighs don't get on well with many canoe seats but we're all happy campers with this one :)

Ok, I can view the link in Chrome but not Firefox.

Alan

Nice work Conk ! I like the yoke.
The decks are useful, as well as good lookin.
Thanks for sharin !

Jim

I like what you've done with the outfitting. I've done the same for paddle carrying, and once made an arched thwart to accommodate sliding a pack under it. Some people wonder why mess with a perfectly good boat. I say - and I suspect you'd agree - that the boat isn't perfect until it meets the user's specific needs.

Last edited:
Conk,

I particularly like your elongated balls...
So what is the total weight? The 7 1/2 lbs that you captioned is the total for the trim, right? Not added to the advertised weight, I hope.
As you might already know, I'm a smaller guy, getting smaller all the time, I need all the advantage I can get.

I have not been to a certified scale yet; I'm waiting to get the knee pads installed, not that they will add much to the overall. Near as I could tell the hull alone was in the realm of 19# (a difficult floppy thing for my beam scale) for a 26.5 overall. This jives with the wife's bathroom scale but it's touchy and does not read ½ # increments consistently. However, I do get consistent 4 to 5 # differences between the two canoes and that was my target objective. Four and a half pounds is very close to the weight of a six-pack of beer. Less hull = more beer.

I have elongated my balls into barrels and keep them spaced with a length of rubber tubing

You younger guys wouldn’t understand, but when you get into your sixth decade….

Oh, wait, we’re talking about paddle restraint. Yeah, I like that idea too.

I like the outfitting touches. Where’s the Spirit Sail mount?

I have not been to a certified scale yet; I'm waiting to get the knee pads installed, not that they will add much to the overall. Near as I could tell the hull alone was in the realm of 19# (a difficult floppy thing for my beam scale) for a 26.5 overall.

Conk, after years of trying to weigh boats on a bathroom scale I borrowed an idea from Robin and bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Vertical-Industrial-Hanging-70-Pound/dp/B002HDJHZW

I can just hook the scale to the shop ceiling and hook the canoe yoke to the scale. No more floppy jiggly floor scale business.

Conk, for some reason I thought you already owned a Kestrel. In any event, how does this Kestrel compare in size and weight to your Curtis/Hemlock Mayfly, and what will be the division of tripping labor between those two lightweight hulls.

Glen, what's correct, we are a two Kestrel family, His & Hers. The Mayfly at 12.5', 23# will remain my go to bushwhacker for small water pond hopping. If I seek the luxury of additional cargo capacity or the safety of a larger hull for big water, I have the option of the Kestrel or Solo River Tripper. The division of tripping duty will depend on the destination.

Conk - thanks for the carry yoke idea! I'm going to use that. Great looking outfitting.

Oh - I apologize in advance. Couldn't resist - this thread almost demands it...

Back