• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

A couple of poling vid's

This video was taken by a friend at a little-known local play spot, near the end of a rather tiring run. I know...excuses....Anyway, it was my first time on a wave like this and it took a few tries to make it stick. I hope to spend more time in that spot next summer....

Wow what a nice wave for canoes!! Our local wave is a bit shorted and not as friendly!! But this coming spring, my goal is to focus on poling, I think we have a great section here in town on the Yukon river, Just at the end of our street!!

Sorry, I've been slacking on the videos. I'll try to do better.

Either I've improved since last summer, or this is a better wave...

Last edited:
Envious skill levels ! I wish I'd have tried that years ago​.

Thanks !

Here's a video from another friend. This was taken on the same run that the video from five posts up came from, and ends with another angle of the same wave play. Sadly - I have been informed that this wave no longer exists (haven't heard why), so all we have of it now is memories...

Last edited:
Nice bowspirit. Were you waiting on the wave for an inflatable to come downriver?

The floaters mostly get pushed into the froth on the other side of me. It's more fun for them there anyway. But - the thought has crossed my mind. ;)

The Weiser River flows enough to run without abusing your boat for a few weeks most years. Last year was an anomoly - it lasted a good two months, and quite a bit of that was at or above 3k cfs. This year was more normal, but we got in a couple trips at 2k cfs and 1k cfs. It's a 24 mile roadless canyon stretch that interests us most. We've done it as an overnighter, but this last trip at 1k was a single 7-hour day. Lots of class 2 with some rock gardens. A little class 3 at higher flows. With a single day run, not much time to spend going upstream, although a little surfing was done (not filmed this time). I love doing a little standing wildwater!

A compressed ten minutes of some of the best parts here. Starts out in normal speed at first, but early on, I accidentally put it in slo-mo. I kind of like the effect. I still need to learn how to fade from scene to scene.....

Last edited:
Now that looks like a fun river! Wish I had something like that around here. I do love using a pole for running WW, you make it look pretty easy. Hoping my back will be strong enough by the end of the summer to start poling again! Thanks for sharing Steve!

dougd

Yeh, that is a nice river. Can you go up something that fast?

Can I go that fast up something? Nah. :D

Can I go up that fast of a river? Maybe. Depends a lot on what is or isn't obstructing the eddy water along the banks, or how closely spaced the mid-river boulders are. I couldn't say for sure with this particular river, 'cause I haven't tried it, but I think most of it, if not all, has the necessary attainment routes that would get you around the pushy current - at this level.

24 miles between access, and it's several miles from the bottom to the first significant rapids, so I don't know if I'll ever try. Could happen though. It would make an interesting multi-day trip.

So, it turns out, that you *can* pole a Mad River Guide. I just *had* to give it a try and played around with it a bit on a mountain stream......

Back