• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

2023 ICF U23 Canoe Sprint World Championships

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2023 ICF Junior and U23 Canoe Spring World Championships were held last week in Auronzo, Italy. I will post in this thread some videos of the races.

The first video has something that amazed me. The winning Spanish (ESP) C2 team in the C2 U23 men's 1000 meter final both paddled the same side of the canoe. They are in lane 6 (from the left). I've never seen that before.

Is that common, and how is it even possible? Rudder? No! ICF Sprint Rule 3.4.1 for canoes states: "Steering rudders or any guiding apparatus directing the course of the canoe are not allowed." (Rudders are allowed on kayaks under Rule 3.3.1.) Are the Spanish C2 paddlers preventing yaw and crabbing solely with correction strokes?

The Planet Canoe channel on Youtube is amazing, I have watched it for years. It covers all, or most?, of the canoe sports, SUP, Marathon, Sprints, Wild Water, and my favorite, Slalom.

I especially enjoy the World Cup Slalom series for C-1 Men and Women. They run a full program during Northern hemisphere summers. Great production values, very professional broadcasts, (at least for the slaloms).

My highest recommendation.
https://www.youtube.com/@PlanetCanoe/featured

The 2023 ICF Junior and U23 Canoe Spring World Championships were held last week in Auronzo, Italy. I will post in this thread some videos of the races.

The first video has something that amazed me. The winning Spanish (ESP) C2 team in the C2 U23 men's 1000 meter final both paddled the same side of the canoe. They are in lane 6 (from the left). I've never seen that before.

I follow sprint racing somewhat, and yes same-side paddling C2 is done, just not real often. You'll see it both men and women. It usually happens when two really good C-boaters want to race together but they paddle on the same side. More correction, but they still make the length of the course, and some place high. Not sure you'll see it in very long races, mostly 1000 meters and under?

Back