• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

16' OT Guide, 1959, AA grade, lightweight construction, for sale, $1050.00

Reaction score
I have given up my dream of doing a family float trip with everyone in w/c boats, and am thinning the herd. I purchased it in the spring of 2017 and used it a few weeks a year for a couple years at the cottage, and it has been stored indoors ever since, with only occasional use. The boat had been restored, probably in 98, judging by some photos that came with it. It originally was built with thwarts in place of the seats, but now has cane seats. There is a rib repair on the inside and an issue with an outwhale near the stem that was repaired and appears stable. It is not the fairest boat I've seen, but I've read this is common with the lightweight construction. Although it isn't a "perfect" boat it still gets lots of compliments and is a pleasure to look at. It paddles nicely, is relatively fast and light enough not to be a burden on the portage trail. It's watertight and the canvas appears to be solid.

The boat is located on a lake in NE Pa. near interstates 81, 80, 84 and the NE extension of the Pa turnpike. Anyone interested is welcome to take it for a test paddle. I'll post some photos from my phone. Thanks for looking.

What was made lighter or thinner

This commonly indicated that the planking, ribs, and canvas were all thinner as found in the Fifty Pound models. The ribs would be 1/4 inch thick instead of the standard 5/16. The planking would be 1/8 inch thick instead of 5/32. The canvas would be number ten instead of the standard number eight (or number six canvas on many of the Guide models). The weight difference was probably about ten pounds originally including the thwarts in place of seats. I have an eighteen foot Otca model that was built this way as shown below but I've never weighed it to compare with a standard build.

The light weight builds are generally less fair than the standard construction, especially after many years of use. This is also unusual to have white Maine cedar planking instead of red Western cedar and as an AA grade when the grades were last listed in the 1956 catalog. This is clearly a custom order that was made to the customer's specifications. Let me know if this doesn't answer the question.

Benson

OTC-167442.jpg

Last edited:
If I lived closer I would buy it. My OT Guide 18 has served me faithfully for over 30 years, but never looked that good.

I’m bumping this up to lower the price to $1250.00. I am also going to throw in two Old Town paddles. A 57” and 63”.

I will also sell the paddles separately for $200.00 for the pair or the boat separately for $1050.00.

Al, would you like me to edit the price in the thread title from $1400 to $1250 or $1050?

Back