• Happy Willie Mays' Circus Catch of Vic Wertz (1954)! ⚾

Recent content by Gamma1214

  1. Gamma1214

    World's deadliest river: 2 meters wide, 65 meters deep

    Hmm... doesn't sound very deadly to me... It would be awesome to see but I'd make absolutely certain that I was in no danger of getting close enough to fall in. I mean, who's dumb enough to throw a boat in something like THAT?!
  2. Gamma1214

    3 Days in the Sylvania

    Awesome. Glad you made it out & thanks for the pictures!
  3. Gamma1214

    Questions and requests for advice as I'm starting out

    It is, indeed, a learning process, but you're doing great and asking questions when you're unsure is the best move (IMO). I'll echo the above; you can just varnish & it'll be fine. Just be careful when re-varnishing in a few years (if you want to remove deeper scratches) and try to remember to...
  4. Gamma1214

    BWCA Trip #2026-02

    How far in advance do you need to schedule the tow? I'm thinking that, maybe you could contact them through an inReach (or other PLB) to make the arrangements from the field. (?) I'm planning on doing that for the next 2 Canadian trips if I need an extraction. I'll make arrangements with a...
  5. Gamma1214

    Videos from Down the Bloodvein and Back

    Alan, watching these videos, 3 things come to mind: 1) thanks for taking the time. They weren't boring at all and I feel that I learned from them as well as being entertained for a bit. 2) One of the things that I've learned is that I'm glad I put my Bloodvein back in the boat shop last week...
  6. Gamma1214

    Hello from Michigan

    Welcome. 123 miles is pretty ambitious for a first-ever trip. What made you choose the Au Sable?
  7. Gamma1214

    Four Days on the Manistee River

    Awesome. I'm curious about what prompted you to travel from NC to paddle the Manistee? I mean, I'm used to people traveling long distances for the BWCA or the Adirondacks... what drove the decision to do this trip? That always make it worth it.
  8. Gamma1214

    Camping on the Oswegatchie

    I'll agree. Looks like a nice area. Thanks for taking time to post it
  9. Gamma1214

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    Cool part (IMO) is that there's no wrong way to do it. And, yes, I'm certain that there are some who appreciate shuttling options (me included at times. Glad that you got out and enjoyed it- looks like a good trip.
  10. Gamma1214

    Kidney Pond, Baxter State Park, Maine

    Well, climbing out onto a dock is always a bit sketchy IMO and certainly not what you've become accustomed to on trips. Probably something you'll get better at with practice.
  11. Gamma1214

    Kidney Pond, Baxter State Park, Maine

    I'm glad to hear that it went well and I too hope that your next adventure offers more paddling opportunities. I haven't tried cabin camping yet though I've often thought it would be a great way to sit out a heavy snow storm. (maybe too early in the year to think of such things) Glad you're...
  12. Gamma1214

    Make a Lamoille lighter

    Some here may take you up on that offer but I can't for the forseeable future. In keeping with the (deliberately narrow) scope of this site, it's probably best if all pics & linked articles remain related to canoes & canoe trips.
  13. Gamma1214

    L.L.Bean no longer sells, canoes, kayaks, paddles, PFDs or canoe accessories

    That's it in a nutshell. We had a perfectly good grocery store in town until the Super Walmart opened. Suddenly, people could buy socks & eggs in the same store... The local grocery closed & Walmart raised their prices. (funny how that works). I now drive to one of the neighboring towns for...
  14. Gamma1214

    Make a Lamoille lighter

    Google translate seems to work well. Your pictures don't transfer but her text does. (I guess we may have to settle for switching back & forth if she does a canoeing article). I've often wondered how well such things work. Google Kääntäjä näyttää toimivan hyvin. Kuvat eivät siirry, mutta...
  15. Gamma1214

    Make a Lamoille lighter

    Welcome. You seem to be doing just fine in English & it's always good to watch another project / adventure take place. Best of luck getting published. If you succeed, you can always post links to the article(s). We have many here that post external links (not my preference but I'm not making...
Back
Top Bottom