No announcement yet.

2020 St.John River Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the St John will have to wait another year for us, too. Maybe a Moose River Bow trip to take the shuttle out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlingPitt View Post

The late guide Alex Hall used to lead trips on the Thelon, via the Clarke. Did you go with him? Kathleen and I paddled the Anderson River, just west of the Horton. Great country.
      I wasn't aware Alex died. That is sad news. I never met him, but he had quite the reputation - wildlife biologist maybe? He used to pull pups out of wolf dens and play with them. YIkes!

No, we have never used a guide on a trip. We do the best we can all by our lonesome. So far no casualties! Like you I do love the barren lands. But, consider one of the trips in the Werneke Mountains (Yukon) someday if you haven't been able to get over there. Gorgeous.
      Last edited by rpg51; 04-26-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yaricoy View Post
        I guess the St John will have to wait another year for us, too. Maybe a Moose River Bow trip to take the shuttle out of the equation.
        Received a voicemail from Norm L'Italien just the other day. His message was relaying Mills extension of the quarantine to June 1st. The Allagash, Penobscot River Corridor and St. John are closed until at least June 1 (at least for overnight camping). He was kind enough to shoot me a voicemail letting me know that the St. John trip will will not be possible for our target date. I hope to give him some of my business later on in the season as I am sure this has impacted his establishment greatly as well as the many other outfitters that make our lives much easier getting on and off rivers in Northern Maine.

Comment

Please say hi to Norm. Tell him Rob Gerety will be back for another shuttle sometime in the near future. Norm is a great guy.

Comment

Originally posted by rpg51 View Post
            Please say hi to Norm. Tell him Rob Gerety will be back for another shuttle sometime in the near future. Norm is a great guy.
            Norm is one of the good ones for sure. Hard worker and indeed a great guy! I will be talking with Norm again on Wednesday. I will be sure to let him know you said hello.
            Last edited by dcloots; 05-11-2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Per Mills order today North Maine woods will be open May 18. So for some a St John River trip is right on schedule.

Comment

We've spent a lot of great time in Maine. Family vacations, canoe tripping and deer hunting. I've often thought I'd be happy living there, and this year I wish I did!

Comment

Very tempting to head out at midnight on the 17th. Too bad the moon is in the wrong phase.

Comment

Originally posted by goonstroke View Post
                    Very tempting to head out at midnight on the 17th. Too bad the moon is in the wrong phase.
                    Don't forget to get your permit online.. The checkpoints will not be staffed.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post

Don't forget to get your permit online.. The checkpoints will not be staffed.
                      My Dad "Pistol Pete Cloutier" and I will be tackling the mighty St. John on May 18th. Probably head up sooner to spend some time at Norms place. Very excited.

Yellow Canoe, online permits obtained at NorthMaineWoods?

Comment

Working...
                      X