• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Wollaston Lake to Goose Lake (Nunavut Border) and back

Alan, I know you said Sadie didn't like long days in the boat, was there ever an opportunity to let her run along on shore while you paddled?

I was only on one trip with a dog and the two things I remember were that loons don't like dogs and that they catch on pretty quick. By the third day of portaging the dog didn't join us on the trip back for the second load. He would be waiting in the boat when we got back.

20160827_370 by Alan, on Flickr

20160827_371 by Alan, on Flickr

I am really curious about the purpose of that cut-down gas can.

The top was nearby, so it was modified in the field. It isn’t much good for holding fuel anymore, so ??????

With the missing nozzle screwed back on it could be used to easy dunk/fill from the lake and pour water, but if it was used for gas on the trip in not for potable water.

Maybe it came in filled with potable water and had some field surgery to make it a lake water fetcher? Easy spout to fill a gravity filter?

I never thought about the possibility of using a virgin plastic gas can as a hard sided water carboy. I wonder how plasticiee the water would taste? That could make for a cheap and ubiquitously available water container, with a nice handle and directional pour spout.

The last thing I need is another red plastic gas can, but for $10 it might be worth the experiment.

A bear with a hand saw?

On closer inspection it certainly does look to be cut off, doesn't it? The can was sitting next to some trees that had been cut with a saw so I just figured the can had been forgotten and when the bear bit through the handle and gave it a yank, the plastic perhaps being old and brittle from UV exposure, the top came off and he carried it as far as the grassy knoll. It was beginning to thunder and lightning so I didn't give it a real close look. Just snapped the pics and hustled back to the tent.

It is curious as to why someone would cut it off. And where did the cutting take place? On the hillside and then the handle was carried down to the grassy area (by a bear or other animal?) or vice-versa?

The North holds so many enduring mysteries. :rolleyes:

Alan

Alan, I know you said Sadie didn't like long days in the boat, was there ever an opportunity to let her run along on shore while you paddled?

Unfortunately, no. When we'd stop at a sand beach I'd let her jump out on the near end and I'd paddle to the far end but those were usually just a 50 yards or so.

I was only on one trip with a dog and the two things I remember were that loons don't like dogs and that they catch on pretty quick. By the third day of portaging the dog didn't join us on the trip back for the second load. He would be waiting in the boat when we got back.

I didn't notice anything in particular with the loons in relation to the dog but I've hardly ever tripped without a dog so maybe I'm just used to it. We had some get quite close to the canoe and they didn't looked too concerned. Sadie didn't sit out any portages this year as she was more than happy to run but last year, when we were working a lot harder, there were times she'd just curl up at the landing or stay to hunt frogs while I went back for another load. Like you said, they catch on quick.

We left Kasmere Lake at the north west corner and took the Little Partridge River up to the height of land and then lake hopped across to Kasba Lake

Wow, that must have been quite a trip. From the few accounts I've heard it's a tough slog going up the Little Partridge route.

Alan

Yes the Little Partridge had a lot of shallow rapids that we had to drag the canoe up . I did find the section from Roosevelt Lake across to Kasba lake more difficult though . One of my partners on the trip posted a whole series of pictures of the trip on myccr . I think the title was ( 2015 Kazan River trip ) if you are interested . scouter Joe

Alan, thank you for sharing your story and pictures, I can't wait to hear about the next part. It's like me being a kid in the 60's watching Batman having to wait until the next day to hear what happens to the Capped Crusader and Robin!

I didn't notice anything in particular with the loons in relation to the dog but I've hardly ever tripped without a dog so maybe I'm just used to it. We had some get quite close to the canoe and they didn't looked too concerned.

It was early Spring when they were on the nest and we unknowingly got too close. It freaked out and came right at the boat (dog) and got up on its feet with its wings out looking like he wanted blood. I've heard they can cause some damage and I believe it. Very impresive display but I don't want to piss one off again.

It was brought to my attention today that my posts have been missing some apostrophes. I'm writing the story in another program and pasting the text here. Apparently they're getting removed in the process. I'll try and correct them from here on out.

It rained a little more overnight and was still heavily overcast in the morning with an ENE wind. I decided to wait and while to see what the weather would do and it started raining again at 10:00am. Hard for a while and then just lightly on and off until 1:00. While the rain had quit the skies didn’t look any better. Spent a lot of time inside the shelter reading, napping, and snacking. I wasn’t happy. I was tired of short days. Since the day I gave up on Nueltin Lake and headed back up the Thlewiaza I’d been taking it easy; lots of short days both because of afternoon rains and me lacking ambition. I missed traveling hard and was ready to do it again but now the weather was holding me back. At 2:15 I decided to break camp and get to “The Hammer” on Fort Hall Lake where I’d camped on my way north (the place with the corral). I was able to sail part of the way down Thanout Lake but with the rear quartering wind it was still work keeping everything going in the right direction. It started to sprinkle as we entered the narrows between Thanout and Fort Hall lakes and as I passed Kasmere’s Hill, which would have to wait until next time to be climbed, I could see heavy rain clouds moving in the from the east and there was no way we were beat them to the camp site. With about 1.5 miles to go it started to rain hard and we got soaked. It was now that I realized my waterproof wide brimmed hat had blown out of the canoe somewhere back on Thanout Lake. At 6:15 shelter was up and we were crawling inside. Sat inside and wondered if it had been worth it to spend 4 hours to break camp, paddle 8 miles, set up new camp, and get soaking wet and cold in the process. I decided it had been. These short days I’d been taking, because I had extra time to use up, were starting to feel forced. Without a goal, something to shoot for, I felt at lost ends. I was ready to start traveling hard again.

It rained all night long and then it rained all morning. Everything was still wet from yesterday and despite wanting to put on some miles I was reluctant to shove off in this weather. It quit raining mid-morning so I put my wet clothes out on the line to dry. It started raining again within two minutes. It quit again around noon and I thought perhaps I’d be able to break camp and paddle. I set the clothes out on the line again and walked down to the shoreline for a better look at the lake. The near shoreline, for the first time since I’d arrived, wasn’t covered in a white mist. I looked to the north and Kasmere’s hill, a few miles away, showed bright and clear. But a little farther north I could see the tall ridges that made up the shoreline of Thanout Lake disappearing behind a white veil. I watched as tree line after tree line was enveloped and soon Kasmere’s Hill turned white and then the near shore. I gathered the clothes off the line and crawled back in the tent again. It rained for the rest of the day. I didn’t have the ambition to go process wood to build a fire for cooking dinner and for the first time of the trip I used my little alcohol stove. I also broke my rule about no food in the tent when I cooked and ate it all inside. That cheered me up some.

The rain quit overnight and other than some light drizzle early in the morning it wasn’t a bad day at all. It remained cloudy but the wind was light. We started paddling and portaging over the esker lakes and this was a welcome break for Sadie who was growing very tired of spending all day in the canoe. I’d forgotten how clear the water was on most of these little esker lakes. I never get tired of peering down into clear water, looking for fish, and noticing rock formations and old waterlogged trees lying deep down at the bottom of the lake. We made it to Smith House Lake where we took a nice walk in the evening at the spot where I’d chosen to build my imaginary cabin. That evening the NE wind died completely and it was a gorgeous evening looking out over the calm water.

Light rain and drizzle on and off until early afternoon the following day but the winds were very light. Oddly enough I sometimes enjoy this weather. It never rained hard enough to get wet and the wind was soft enough to hardly be noticeable. The heavily overcast skies obliterated shadows and because of the dampness anything with color really popped. The moss was a deep rich green that stood out against the dark water soaked wood and the golden birch leaves were in stark contrast to the black earth.

20160831_375 by Alan, on Flickr

20160904_414 by Alan, on Flickr

It had been getting colder and my toes were numb as we paddled down Lovell Lake but the portage got the blood flowing again and then we were back on the Cochrane River. The sun started to shine now and again and it looked like the weather was finally improving. There was good current flowing and it was enjoyable work paddling back upstream to Spencer Lake. Stopped at the first sand beach we saw when entering the lake and was surprised to see what appeared to be an old grave atop the small berm just inland. Looks to be used fairly regularly for quick stop overs. There was a large fire pit and an old tangled up gill net nearby but no good place to camp. Paddled down the shore a ways to the next beach and again found another grave marker on the berm just behind the beach. At least that’s what I assume they were. Same fences as the other sites I’d seen. This site had plenty of good camping areas and open woods behind that made for nice walking and also some decent blueberry picking to boot.

20160831_391 by Alan, on Flickr

20160831_392 by Alan, on Flickr

With the improving weather I was in good spirits again. This had been my idea of a nearly ideal day. We’'d had a solid mix of paddling and portaging; none of it all that difficult but enough of a challenge to keep it interesting. The weather was comfortable and when we arrived in camp around 7:00 I set out to make new spruce poles and set up shelter, changed into dry shoes, cooked dinner, and made a hot chocolate which I enjoyed on the beach looking out over a perfectly calm lake toward the setting sun. Geese were calling on the opposite shore and a flock of ducks came whistling in just over my head and skidded into the reeds along shore. A day full of activity that left me feeling like I’d earned my food and sleep. Day 30 had been a good one.

Evening on Spencer Lake:
20160831_393 by Alan, on Flickr

The next day would be a hard one as I needed to ascend some large rapids and make it back to Charcoal Lake to where I knew there was good camping as I didn’'t remember seeing any good spots between here and there. It began raining off and on overnight but quit around 7:45am and the skies looked like they were going to clear. Cooked breakfast, broke camp, and shoved off from the beach to start our day. Less than two minutes later we rounded a corner that gave us a view to the west and saw ugly clouds moving in fast.

20160901_402 by Alan, on Flickr

Knowing I wasn'’t likely to find good camp sites for quite a few miles I stopped and thought for a few minutes as I watched the clouds rolling it. Then I turned around, paddled back to the beach, and setup camp again just as it started to rain; which it continued to do for the rest of the day until around 6:00pm. Being stuck by the weather is no fun but this was about as good of a spot as it could happen. The woods were open so you didn'’t get wet from the underbrush when walking around and the thin layer of moss over the sandy soil never turned into a wet sponge. I don’t normally build open fires but did that evening just to give me something to do and for the satisfaction of starting a fire after it had been raining for days.

A couple days ago the wind had been from the NE and had now been coming from the SW. The rain looked like it had quit and the skies were brightening a little when the wind again switched to the NE and the dark clouds began to roll back in. It was like the same rain clouds just kept getting pushed back and forth over us. This was the 8th straight day it had rained at some point and things weren't looking promising when I went to bed.

Alan

When I get back up your way, we'll have to take some picks of your sail rig in action !

Still lovin your report !

Jim

It was brought to my attention today that my posts have been missing some apostrophes. I'm writing the story in another program and pasting the text here. Apparently they're getting removed in the process. I'll try and correct them from here on out.

I think the disappearing punctuation may be due to the font used. When I cut and paste from CT the font is Helvetica.

This was typed in Helvetica:

Unsin’ Helvetica it’s seems that punctuation’s appear as typed – apostrophes’, dashes and such all appears as typed when posted. I don’t know if that is the case with some other fonts.

This was typed in Tahoma:

Usin’ Tahoma it’s seems that punctuation’s don’t appear as typed – apostrophes’, dashes and such seem to vanish when posted. I don’t know it that is the case with other fonts (I’ll use Tahoma for most other things)

EDIT: Well that didn't work. I have no idea what the punctuation glitch is.

Last edited:
I think the disappearing punctuation may be due to the font used. When I cut and paste from CT the font is Helvetica.

This was typed in Helvetica:

Unsin’ Helvetica it’s seems that punctuation’s appear as typed – apostrophes’, dashes and such all appears as typed when posted. I don’t know if that is the case with some other fonts.

This was typed in Tahoma:

Usin’ Tahoma it’s seems that punctuation’s don’t appear as typed – apostrophes’, dashes and such seem to vanish when posted. I don’t know it that is the case with other fonts (I’ll use Tahoma for most other things)

EDIT: Well that didn't work. I have no idea what the punctuation glitch is.

It was a nice thought at least.

It's interesting that not all the apostrophes are removed. When I went looking for them in the last update I'd guess it was 50/50.

Alan

Just read through the whole trip so far and I'm jealous. I always wanted to take a trip way north. There is still time but......
Thank you so much for writing up this trip report. It sure stirs the imagination.
Jim

A little rain overnight but there was no precip when I got up at 7:30; though you wouldn'’t have guessed it from looking at the sky. From my position the wind appeared to be coming from the east, never good. Ate breakfast and thought real hard about what to do. Really didn’'t want to spend another day stuck in place but also knew if I traveled I couldn’'t expect any good camping for a long ways. It hadn’'t rained in 3 hours so I decided to go for it. Twenty minutes after setting out it started to mist/drizzle and didn’'t stop all day; some light rain was mixed in too.

20160902_408 by Alan, on Flickr

I was worried about getting up the rapids exiting Spencer Lake but it turned out to be an easy job lining up the inside corner. It sure was nice to be gaining a little confidence and ability with this skill. I was able to sail a couple miles up Allnutt Lake which, even in a barely noticeable current, is a good feeling. The rapid exiting Allnutt Lake was a long affair that I managed to track, drag, wade, and trip my way up. By the time I got to the top I was soaked to the waist. There were a few more rapids that took a mix of lining, wading, and portaging to get up. Everything was slick from the rain and I narrowly avoided a couple bad falls, mostly due to luck.

It was a really miserable day, perhaps the worst I’'ve ever paddled in. My glasses were nearly always covered with mist which made it hard to see. I was already chilly even before getting soaked wading up the rapids and my feet were nearly numb all day. Stiff wind didn’'t help any. Bad day for Sadie too being stuck in the bow of the canoe. When we’d come to the rapids she’d have to get out and rock hop her way upstream while I worked the canoe. She took a couple good soakings when slipping off wet rocks. I was beginning to regret bringing her along. This wasn'’t her kind of trip and besides being unenjoyable for her it made travel harder on me too. On days like this I felt guilty to be traveling as I watched her shiver in the bow all day as she looked longingly at the shore wanting to get out and run. There were other days I would have been willing to subject myself to paddling in ugly weather but I wasn’'t willing to put her through it. But she was a trooper through it all. She always did what needed to be done and never once balked at jumping back in the canoe, which I expected to happen more and more each day.

I would have liked to quit earlier in the day but since I was already soaking wet I was determined to make it up Caribou Rapids and the small unnamed rapid above it. This would give us clear paddling the rest of the way to Charcoal Lake. By the time I portaged over Caribou Rapids it was 5:45 and of course I couldn'’t find anywhere to camp. Everything was either low and boggy or steep and rocky. At 7:00 we finally stopped on a tiny island that was straight out of the Canadian Shield; just a chunk of granite with a thin layer of moss and some trees hanging on by their toenails. But it had a nice landing which is more than I could say for anything else we’d paddled by. It didn’'t take long to walk over the whole island and it was not very tent friendly. I finally decided there was one spot that would work good enough. The ground sloped in two directions and there were lots of humps and bumps so the sides of the tent didn'’t always reach the ground but it was late, still drizzling, I was cold, and it would have to do. It would be interesting trying to sleep on that ground but at least it was somewhat protected from the east wind. As soon as I quit paddling I started to get quite cold and it felt great climb inside and put on dry clothes. Had no desire to cook so just sat in the tent and ate almonds, fruit, M&Ms and lemon drops.

At 9:00pm the weather was unchanged except the east wind seemed to be increasing. Despite what had been a pretty bad day I was in surprisingly good spirits. Better spirits than had I stayed in camp all day. It felt good to have worked hard and made some real progress. Except for the Bigstone portage this day put most of the hardest work behind us. Ninth straight day with rain.

A few sprinkles overnight and then a thunderstorm came through around 7:30am and rained pretty hard for a little over an hour. When I cooked breakfast at 9:30 the wind was still blowing hard from the NE but by 10:00 it was completely calm and peaceful. I hung my wet clothes on the line to hopefully get them damp instead of wet and immediately it began to rain. Decided if it cleared off by noon I’'d break camp and paddle to Charcoal Lake to find a better site, otherwise I'’d stay put. No desire for a repeat of yesterday.

The rain quit again late morning and things were starting to look up but soon afterwards that heavy mist/drizzle from yesterday settled in and by mid-afternoon it was raining again. Looked like we'’d be spending another night on our rock. Spent the afternoon in the tent and after some thunderstorms moved through the area late that afternoon the rain abruptly quit at 5:45 and the sun peaked out from behind the clouds for just a minute. I checked the wind and it had moved to the S/SW. The clouds were quickly breaking up and big patches of blue sky were starting to show. Jumped up to go outside and get things set out to dry. Hung the clothes up in the breeze and set some wet gear out on the rocks in the sun. In no more than 5 minutes I heard a rumble and turned around to see dark blue clouds rolling in that took away my beautiful sunshine. I spent the next 1 1/2 hours anxiously watching the sky and snatching clothes up when it started to rain and hanging them back on the line when it quit again. Some heavy rains skirted us just to the north and at 7:45 I gave up and packed everything back inside the tent. Just after that it began to rain in earnest and the wind became very strong. I was thankful my tent site was just below the ridge of the island which did a nice job of deflecting most of the south wind. This was the 10th consecutive day with rain and again, just as it looked like it might clear, the wind had switched 180 degrees and brought all the moisture back for another round.

Around 11:30 that night, as I was half asleep, I started to wonder why I could suddenly feel a breeze on my face. The strong south wind had been shaking the tent a bit and stirring the air but this was stronger. I wrote it off and figured it would go away; but it didn’'t. It took me a few moments to fully wake up and realize something had changed and that it probably wasn'’t good. I turned to look out the entrance of the tent and saw the awning puffed up and looking like a parachute. The wind had swung around to the west and increased in velocity; we were now completely exposed to it. It came whipping off the river, followed the steeply sloped hill we were on, and scooped up underneath the awning. The only good news is that 5 minutes ago it had been raining and now it was only a driving drizzle as I stumbled into the night in my thermal underwear and headlamp.

Once outside it took a minute to figure out just what was going on and what I needed to do to fix it. The wind was blowing directly into the opening of the shelter and puffing it up like a balloon. The air was then escaping under the edges of the walls. It was like trying to blow up a huge leaky balloon and it essentially turned the tent into a wind tunnel. Outside I found a dry bag that had been blown out from under one of the walls. Somehow I needed to get that awning pulled down all the way to shut off the opening. There was nothing to tie out to so I went looking for rocks. I found a few big ones and got them placed. It was a little tricky undoing the tie downs that were holding it all together and retying them in this wind, which I’d guess was blowing steady at 25mph (40kph) and gusting to 35-40 mph (56-64 kph). This was the strongest wind I’d ever been camping in and the first time during the trip I actually got a little nervous about what was going on. Just what exactly was I going to do if the shelter should rip, or even just get blown down?

I got the awning closed down as good as I could and then used a combination of more rocks and food barrels to weigh down other parts of the tent to try and keep everything held together. It was as good as I could do so I went back inside, chuckling at how ridiculous this whole thing was, and tried to sleep while the wind shook and snapped the tent. It started raining again just after midnight. The rain quit at 2:00am but the wind persisted. It was strange how the wind would suddenly die down to almost nothing and you could hear the waves crashing on the shore and the rain falling on the ground. Then you’'d hear a roar coming from up the river and it was like a freight train slammed into the tent as every other sound was obliterated. The tent held together through the night with no damage and I even managed to get a little sleep.

Very cold in the morning. Thought it might have froze but the water on the tent was still water. Wind was still blowing hard from the west. Neither Sadie or I were in any hurry to get out of bed but a little after 8:30 the sun started to shine off and on. Climbed out at 9:00 and was greeted by the sun ducking behind clouds and blowing drizzle, which soon blew away. Did some more work on the shelter tie downs, set clothes out to dry, and got water to cook breakfast. Didn’'t take long until my hands were cold to the point they didn'’t work well anymore. Skies began to clear around 10:00am. Was warming up nicely inside the shelter but still cold outside. Was anxious to see what the weather would do as I really wanted off this dang island.

By noon my clothes were all but dry and I started breaking camp. We shoved off at 1:00. The wind was still blowing hard and even though the river wasn'’t very wide here there were plenty of whitecaps. I was pretty apprehensive about paddling in this wind but it turned out to be not as bad as I thought. As I got away from the island the wind seemed to drop to a more respectable level and when I gained the opposite shore I was protected enough to have a relatively easy paddle. I think my island was in a bad location and that the way the wind was channeled down the river and around the landforms had increased its velocity in that small area. As soon as we hit Charcoal Lake we stopped at the first esker would could find to get Sadie some walking, which she certainly deserved after the last few days. This was the 11th day with rain.

Tent before the wind started. Note the use of rock flaps (great addition) and the wrinkles caused by the less than ideal setup location:
20160903_410 by Alan, on Flickr

Awning closed down as good as I could get it. My mom added the center tie out on the awning. It was coming in very handy in this picture:
20160904_412 by Alan, on Flickr

Rocks and food barrel helping hold things in place. Note the lack of wrinkles in the tent. Despite the awning being nearly completely closed off the wind is still getting into the shelter and blowing it up like a balloon:
20160904_413 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Last edited:
This was the 11th day with rain.

Alan, that “11[SUP]th[/SUP] day” really struck home with me. In ’88 I was on the Olympic peninsula, backpacking and (planning to go) boating.

It started raining when I got there and it was still raining 11 days later when I fled the area. I managed one short, sodden, otherworldly backpacking trip and never put the boat in the water. Everything I owned was wet from the start, and stayed wet.

Trying to wait it out was the most miserable I have ever been while travelling. The locals telling me “You shoulda been here two weeks ago, it was beautiful” didn’t help.

And I was never more than a day’s hike from my truck; not a week of paddling miles from making an escape. On day 11 I said “Screw this” and decided that I would drive south until the sun came out.

I was in Arizona before that happened, and even that was challenging. I couldn’t get over the mountains due to early winter snowstorms when I finally did get across in northern California and it kept snowing and freezing raining on the other side.

I abhor motels, but I threw in the towel in Beaver Utah on day two of a Rte 50 windblown ice storm that caked the right side of the truck with three inches of ice. The truck was tilted to one side with accumulated ice weight.

When I told the motel clerk “I’d like a room for the night” his querulous reply was “Are you sure you don’t want to see the room first?”. Nope, just gimme a room.

Mold on the ceiling, bullfighter on velvet painting on the wall, questionably laundered bedding. Gawd but it was nice to be inside and dry.

I’m hoping your weather improves, but at the same time thinking it’s not done with you yet.

For future reference it is easier to batten down the hatches on the tent sides if you bring beer. Three cases of so will do.

I am convinced that a tent with a deployable, roll-out sod cloth on the rainfly would be advantageous at times.

Mem.... whatever the highest designation is that yoiu have for your Outers, I think you need to create a new one and bestow it on our worthy friend.

Two things. #1. You will not forget about these kinds of trips and someday you will look back fondly on it. #2 It is on these trips you learn the most.

We had run into unseasonable damp, cold and hale on a trip. The first day I got very very cold but on the second day, although colder I was dressed for the occasion. I had a dry bag full of terminal Hale Hansons and rain gear that I put on before even leaving the tent in the morning. I posted a link to a short video of the hale storm we encountered.

P.S. Man I love your account of the trip. Keep it coming.

Back
Top Bottom