• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Wollaston Lake to Goose Lake (Nunavut Border) and back

Do you have a track log showing your route? I tried to follow along with your SPOT posts, but switching between the SPOT map and topo maps got me lost!
I'd love to see details of the places you paddled and camped...

Unfortunately I don't. Maybe when I get a chance I can put something together. Any recommendations for where to do such a thing? I don't have any digital topos. There's so much water and so many different watersheds that it's a tough route to try and follow until you get familiar with it.

Alan

Alan, once I get home I could pull together the Manitoba portion much like I did in the SPOT thread with the topo maps.

Alan - Thanks so much for bringing us along. You're blessed to have such a wonderful companion on these adventures. I miss my dog terribly for many of the same reasons it seems you enjoy having Sadie accompanying you. One thing I will note though...our last dog was a cross between an Irish Setter and a Black Lab. She looked like a setter but had the lab coloration and temperament. Long story short, she never warned me when a bear was nearby. In fact, she and one particular black bear in PA spent about 5 minutes just looking at each other. She didn't bark and the bear just sat down and watched us. Luckily my dog was by my side and we were about 25'-30' feet apart. After a few minutes of them looking at each other I got a bit edgy so I began to yell at the bear. Once my voice was heard he turned tail and ran back into the woods; luckily my dog didn't follow. Anyway, I'm glad for you that you have an early warning system as mine didn't ever work.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Awesome trip and reporting. I am thoroughly enjoying it. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

This trip stirs in me a deep desire and provides an incentive to do something similar... maybe not the 40+ days but I could see going for 20 days somewhere up north.

I didn't consider the condensation issue. I wonder if Cooke would add storm vents? When I'm ready to commit I'll check it out.
I'm not sure that more vents would alleviate the condensation problem, it might, but you will still have some and it will still drip on you with a gust of wind or heavy rain. I think the idea is to have a liner like these guys offer for there tipi https://seekoutside.com/liners/...It could be only on the roof part from front to back... Does Dan com on here sometime??

Last edited:
I love that tent, and have been mulling over getting one for shoulder season trips (October-ish). I didn't consider the condensation issue.

I like the concept of a lean shelter; tall enough to stand up in, large front view with the awning/door affixed up, sapling “poles” where ethically applicable and single wall sil-nylon weight.

The downside that always put me off was the lack of a sewn in floor as a sleeping area in areas with lots of critters hopping, slithering or crawling. Ticks especially. I know a groundsheet is put down inside, but I prefer the sealed sarcophagus of a tent so I don’t wake up with an inquisitive toad on my face or a rattlesnake nestling me for body heat.

I had not considered the single wall condensation issue. Or, moreover, the size of the footprint required. If I am reading the CCS dimensions correctly even the Lean1 is five feet wide x 10 feet deep.

I have been forced to squeeze the 4 foot x 7 foot Hubba Hubba into areas not-quite-big enough, and to forgo staking out one vestibule. My tarp may get set up in some rocky, uneven or poorly drained area, but I can usually find space to cram a small tent.

Watch that first step out the door.

A lean also runs counter to my SOP when making camp. Whenever possible I set the tent up first and stock it with a complete nighttime complement ready for bed. Inflated pad, sleeping bag, water and pee bottle, spare clothes, reading light and book. My bedroom is set and I don’t need to go in or out again until sleepytime. The less often I track debris into the bedroom or open the door to let in mosquitoes the better.

Then I set up a living room tarp. Chair, food barrel/side table, essentials day use bag, change of shoes, journal and maps, other water bottle, axe or saw. Some of that goes in a vestibule at night, but all my daylight and next morning stuff at the ready in the living room. I will cook and eat under the tarp when it is rainy, not sure I want to do that in my bedroom.

I am simply too accustomed to having a separate and distinct bedroom and living room. Mixing the two would take some getting used to.

And that’s on a solo trip. Sharing a Lean2 or Lean 3 as a combined living room/bedroom with a companion? Nuh uh!

I go to bed early, but wouldn’t want to enforce my bedtime in a shared living room. I like my sleeping quarters readied early, and night gear arranged in a familiar find-it-in-the-dark pattern. That’s probably not happening with a shared living room.

And, in all honesty, my favorite tripping companion is messy*. He is a light packer and yet somehow manages to strew gear everydamn where. That is tolerable under (and around) a tarp, but not in my bedroom.

I like the concept of a lean, or even better a idea of a canvas Baker tent set up near the fire, but the latter is more of a romantic dream. I have carried my last canvas tent.

Small tent. Medium size tarp. All the bedroom and living room bases covered and never the twain shall meet. Unless I opt to sleep “out” under the tarp.

I like the concept of a lean shelter; tall enough to stand up in, large front view with the awning/door affixed up, sapling “poles” where ethically applicable and single wall sil-nylon weight.

The downside that always put me off was the lack of a sewn in floor as a sleeping area in areas with lots of critters hopping, slithering or crawling. Ticks especially. I know a groundsheet is put down inside, but I prefer the sealed sarcophagus of a tent so I don’t wake up with an inquisitive toad on my face or a rattlesnake nestling me for body heat.

I think this depends a lot on where you travel. I rarely took the time to properly tuck the sod cloth under the ground cloth and nearly anything that wanted could have crawled in. Many nights when it was dry I didn't even bother putting down the ground cloth. Never had anything come in other than a couple moths when I was sitting up with my headlamp on. But I'd certainly have cause for concern if I was camping in the south where there were poisonous snakes or other creepy crawlies. The ticks we see up here wouldn't give me much worry. There are some areas heavily infested with ants up there and even they didn't venture into the tent.

Or, moreover, the size of the footprint required. If I am reading the CCS dimensions correctly even the Lean1 is five feet wide x 10 feet deep.

This didn't come into play too often though there were a couple times. The lack of sewn in floor makes it more possible to use some questionable sites. Nice place set to setup other than that big rock or small bush? Just set the shelter up over the top of them.

I did miss having a separate tarp. I have a pretty strict rule of no food in the tent but later in the trip when the weather turned to absolute crap I got lazy and started cooking in there. The bug netting on the front wall isn't vertical, it tapers out giving you about 3' of bare ground between the edge of the ground cloth and the front edge of the netting. So when you walk into the tent you're not tracking dirt and mud on the ground cloth. It's also a nice area to sit out of the rain and cook a meal over my small alcohol stove. If I'd had a tarp I would have used it instead for that purpose.

One thing the Lean does provide over a tarp is bug protection, and that's a pretty big deal when you start heading north. I got by fairly easy but earlier in the season that would not have been the case. Most people seem to use the Lean as a tarp replacement rather than tent replacement. I don't believe most people use it as their main shelter.

I think these pictures are public. They're shots of the Lean in use on Dan's Kazan trip from last year above the tree line. They slept in tents and used the Lean 3 as group hangout and dining room. Notice the shots of the bugs and why a tarp might not have been very pleasant.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10153269223460318&type=3

Small tent. Medium size tarp. All the bedroom and living room bases covered and never the twain shall meet. Unless I opt to sleep “out” under the tarp.

By the end of the trip that's pretty much what I settled on. I'll be tent shopping over the winter. The Lean has its place but not as the only means of shelter on such a long trip in that country. But still, we survived just fine and quite comfortably. For the most part the only complaints were annoyances. I'll write up a proper review one of these days.

Alan

One thing the Lean does provide over a tarp is bug protection, and that's a pretty big deal when you start heading north. I got by fairly easy but earlier in the season that would not have been the case. Most people seem to use the Lean as a tarp replacement rather than tent replacement. I don't believe most people use it as their main shelter.

Bugs are a pretty big deal if you are headed south, or out in swamp or marsh country, even in what you hope is the “off season”. As a tarp alternative I can see the Lean having great value beyond just the buggieproofiness; wind block, sideways rain protection, front “door” to shut if need be.

I hate revising a tarp drape in the rain when the wind is changing direction; dashing out and getting soaked only to retreat under cover to suddenly to discover that the dang wind is still changing direction. I’d rather sit in the shrinking 3 foot square dry part that remains and wait it out. Walls would be nice. Freaking wind.

How was the lean in the wind?

By the end of the trip that's pretty much what I settled on. I'll be tent shopping over the winter. The Lean has its place but not as the only means of shelter on such a long trip in that country. But still, we survived just fine and quite comfortably. For the most part the only complaints were annoyances. I'll write up a proper review one of these days.

Annoyances in design can be corrected. Sometimes DIY’ed.

I’ll be interested in where tent shopping leads you. And Sadie. Would you continue to bring the lean as your shelter tarp?

I am very pleased with the performance and ridgeline set up simplicity of a CCS Tundra Tarp. Or, in very windy locales, a true catenary cut parawing.

BTW, I hope Sadie is saving the best for last and will contribute parts of the trip from her perspective. “My human is so strange at times. He walks back and forth on the same trail repeatedly, and he can’t even smell a pungent bear”

I too am enjoying this report of your trip, great writing about a very interesting trip, and the pictures really help tell us what it was like. Thank You for sharing your story with us, makes me feel like Canoetripping.net has really taken a big step forward with such a quality "tripping" thread.

The next day we quickly reached the end of Charcoal Lake and set off down the Cochrane River. We hit a fair number of rapids that day, 4-6 if I remember correctly, but for the most part there was little current with some lake expansions. Some of the rapids we were able to run and a couple we had to portage. It was a relief to see that not all the rapids and portages were like Bigstone. Most of the rapids weren’t overly long and the portages were in logical and easy to find locations. The trails were short and easy to follow. Things were really starting to look up and the weather was perfect with lots of sunshine and just the slightest of breezes. As we were paddling down Allnutt Lake I noticed a decided lack of suitable looking campsites and made a mental note to not get stuck there on the return trip. We ran the final rapid into Spencer Lake around 6:30 and began looking for a campsite but it wasn’t looking a whole lot more promising than Allnutt was. Scanning with the binoculars I spied a couple short sand beaches a couple miles up the lake and when we arrived at the first one found a pleasant landing with a small esker rising just behind. Sand is too messy for me to camp on so we climbed to the top of the esker where we found a wide flat top and set up camp there. For the first time this trip I didn’t have to put on warmer clothes or a stocking cap as the evening wore on.

This was the apex of the Cochrane River. Just a mile away the river exited Spencer Lake and took a sharp turn to the south to head for its final destination of Reindeer Lake. We’d only be following it a few more miles before we jumped off and began our portage over to the Thlewiaza watershed.

I slept in and took time breaking camp as I was planning for a short day. Someone had come through the area a few weeks earlier and reported having some of his food taken by a bear at the end of the portage into Smith House Lake. The bear was finally convinced to leave with a face full of bear spray. Even then he said the bear seemed reluctant to go. So the plan was to fall a bit short of Smith House Lake tonight. It was 10:00 by the time we hit the water. There was a fairly stiff South headwind but since we also had a current pulling us I couldn’t complain.

Eighty years ago when Downes came through this area he was looking for the same portage to leave the Cochrane River. He paddled up and down the river and missed it twice before finally finding it. This is what he recorded in his book, Sleeping Island: "I saw a small opening in the willows that looked very innocent and natural...We had twice passed this spot before...going ashore here, more from weariness and discouragement than expectation, we found to our surprise and delight a trail."

20160811_145 by Alan, on Flickr

I’m glad I had a more specific location of the portage as it doesn’t appear much has changed in that time. Once ashore I set off with two packs and promptly became lost in the maze of caribou trails that criss-cross through the woods. It turns out I walked past the turn-off for the correct portage trail but in my defense I saw a piece of survey tape on the incorrect trail that led me astray. I began walking through the woods in what I thought was the correct direction and every time I rounded a corner the trail would split off again. All the trails were well worn and seemed plausible to follow until they would split off a few times and slowly dissolve into the forest. I kept going until I finally saw water through the trees. I wearily walked to the water’s edge and dropped my packs. I was looking at a long skinny lake, the first of the “Esker Lakes”. But then I noticed to my right there was moving water flowing into the lake. That shouldn’t be. I checked the compass and found the lake running E/W. That wasn’t right either. Not really having a clue where I was I picked my bags back up and hoped I could find my way back to the canoe. It was just as confusing heading back but when I recognized familiar landmarks that were close to where I’d landed I dropped the packs, still thinking I’d originally headed in the right direction, so that I could save myself carrying them any farther than I had to.

When I got back to the canoe I pulled out the map and compass, which I should have done from the get-go, and quickly realized where I’d gone wrong and that the “lake” I’d portaged to was the same river I’d started on, only 1/2 mile (.8km) farther upstream. I grabbed the other pack out of the canoe and this time headed down the correct portage trail, in the almost opposite direction of where I’d dropped my other packs. The main portage trail was still intersected by numerous caribou trails but following it wasn’t too hard. At the end the steepest hill I’ve ever seen on a portage dropped down to Lovell Lake. Crawling my way down the hill with the pack I had the same thought all canoe trippers are familiar with, “How the heck am I supposed to do this with a canoe on my head?” Usually the answer turns out to be, “slowly and carefully”, but in this case I was able to come up with a different solution. I just had to hope I didn’t trip and that the knot held. Then it was time to see if I could follow that wrong trail back to where I’d dropped the first two packs. It only took a little bit of searching to find them and after that one last carry we were back on the water again.

20160811_158 by Alan, on Flickr

The Esker Lakes, as they’ve come to be known, are a chain of small and mostly narrow (some extremely narrow) lakes that straddle the Cochrane and Thlewiaza watersheds. They’re bordered almost entirely by an esker on one, and sometimes both, shores with other small bits thrown in as islands and peninsulas. Most of them have exceptionally clear water and most of the portages between are short and steep as you climb up the esker out of one lake and down the other side of the esker into another. It’s intimate and picturesque paddling.

20160811_149 by Alan, on Flickr

The South wind I’d fought in the morning was, now that I’d changed direction, a tail wind and I was finally able to put my sail to use and got a free ride down Lovell Lake for a couple miles. What a great feeling. It was a day taylor made for travel and despite our late start we were making good progress. So good that it was still pretty early in the day when we reached what should have been our stopping point trying to stay short of the Smith House Lake portage. Not wanting to stop I decided to press on and get over the portage and well into Smith House Lake.

The portage into Smith House Lake is about 3/4 of a mile long and one of the most pleasant portages I’ve ever done. Other than a little climb on both ends the trail is well worn, wide, and flat. The woods are open jack pine with little in the way of obstacles. Mushrooms, like the rest of the land we were traveling through, were prolific. This is the kind of paddling Sadie and I both like best, a steady mix of paddling and portaging on intimate lakes and rivers. We got across the portage in good shape and were well up the lake, hopefully off the beggar bear’s normal path, before we stopped to call it a night. Another beautiful campsite and another beautiful view over the lake at sunset. We were having perfect autumn weather with warm, but not hot, days under blue skies and crisp nights. It was strange to think fall could come in the middle of August but sure enough, if I looked hard enough, I could see some leaves starting to change already.

20160811_168 by Alan, on Flickr

20160811_161 by Alan, on Flickr

Old fire ring. Think it's been a while since this site has been used:
20160811_162 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Last edited:
The second "C" is CCS stands for Custom so I'm sure he'd be willing to accommodate.

FWIW I have sent a couple of CCS items back to Dan after discussion so that he could make custom alterations that I found design desirable for my purposes.

I don’t sew, and I certainly don’t sew sil-nylon, and Dan’s alteration charges were very reasonable.

Too soon the esker lakes were gone. Always my internal conflict of keep paddling or stop and do more exploring. I like paddling so that’s what usually wins. Besides, I’d be coming back this same way in 2-3 weeks for another look. The last portage from the esker lakes into Fort Hall Lake is interesting. It’s only about 25’ (7.6m) long but the difference between lakes’ elevations is about 6’ (1.8m). No rapids or anything exciting like that. Just pull your canoe up on shore, drag it down a dirt bank, and suddenly you’re eye level with where you were paddling 2 minutes ago. Coming into this portage there was a strong tail wind and I was really looking forward to getting onto Fort Hall Lake and putting up sail. But in the 10 minutes it took to complete the portage the wind completely died off and instead we found ourselves floating on a perfectly flat sheet of glass. If I couldn’t have a tail wind that was the next best thing. After paddling out into the middle of the lake to get away from the bugs we spent about 10 minutes just sitting motionless listening to the absolute silence. A Pacific Loon may or may not have flown right over us, twice.

It was still relatively early and I decided to paddle the last few miles and stop at “The Hammer”, which is the name I gave the peninsula located mid-lake for obvious reasons, hoping I’d find a good place to camp for the night. Since it was so peaceful and I was in no hurry I was just plodding along when all of a sudden the wind started to pick up again. Next thing I know I’ve got the sail flying and we’re making good headway up the lake. It pushed me for a couple miles and then died again just as suddenly when I was 200 yards away from the hammer. Between the odd wind and the foreboding clouds I found the most protected site I could on the north side of the peninsula where the hammer meets the handle. Pulling ashore there was a nice path through the alders to higher ground that led immediately to an opening in the woods that would make a wonderful campsite. I took a little tour and found these sites scattered all over the peninsula. It was like someone laid out a campsite for a new national park and then no one ever showed up to use them. There was no garbage, no cut down trees, and after searching I was only able to find one old fire ring. This seems like the most obvious place to camp on the whole lake with sand beaches and nice camping but you’d never know anyone had.

Well, except for the old corral that took up half the peninsula. I was quite surprised when I came across a section of fallen down fence and the more I looked the more I saw. Originally it was quite extensive with multiples gates and chutes. It probably stood close to 6’ (1.8m) high with square steel mesh covering the whole thing. At first I figured it was to trap caribou that walked out on the peninsula to swim the narrow channel but if it was for caribou why the steel mesh? The whole thing was built with local materials except for the mesh and nails. I wonder when it was built and how long it was used? Some pretty good work went into it.

20160813_185 by Alan, on Flickr

20160813_188 by Alan, on Flickr

That evening there was some thunder in the distance and the wind switched to the West but thankfully it was only a small rain shower that passed through. In the morning it was warm, humid, and dead calm again. The mosquitoes were out in force and I couldn’t get out on the lake fast enough. After paddling a few miles we passed the tall overlook between Fort Hall and Thanout Lakes where old Kasmere was buried. His request was to be buried standing up, on top of this hill, so that he could watch over his people as they traveled through. I’d planned to climb the hill (no quick task) but knowing it would be crawling with hungry mosquitoes and wanting to take advantage of the calm wind I kept paddling on. There was always the return trip to take a visit.

We stopped for a rest in the middle of Thanout Lake and a curious loon swam to within 20’ of the canoe before stopping to stare at us. It began to call and then dive. It repeated this about 6 times before losing interest and moving on. I’d been seeing more loons than I could shake a stick at but this was pretty special.

20160813_193 by Alan, on Flickr

About then an east wind suddenly sprang up. There’s a lot I don’t know about reading and predicting weather but one thing I’ve learned is that nothing good ever comes from an east wind. I picked up the pace and headed for the ruins of Fort Hall, an old Hudson’s Bay trading post a little over a mile away. Looking over my shoulder I could see the far hills being shrouded in a white haze from the incoming rain. Every time I checked it seemed one more ridge had been taken over. We hit the beach just as the rain started to fall in earnest. I pulled the gear up on the beach and turned the canoe over the top of it before Sadie and I ran up the shore to find some trees to hide in. Thankfully the storm soon passed but the clouds were still threatening. I decided to spend some time exploring the site while I waited to see what the weather would do.

I believe the post was abandoned in the 20’s or early 30’s and then burned down when a fire came through in the early 90’s. All that’s left now is a grassy hillside, some charred logs, and a lot of rusty tin cans. It’s a beautiful site and easy to see why it was chosen. There were multiple fire rings on the site and shelter poles piled here and there with bones and antlers from moose and caribous scattered around. Apparently it’s still a popular place. By far the best part of the exploration was finding a bunch of ripe raspberries which occupied about 30 minutes of my time.

20160813_207 by Alan, on Flickr

20160813_202 by Alan, on Flickr

20160813_203 by Alan, on Flickr

The skies still weren’t pretty but it wasn’t raining so we set off back up the lake. I wanted to get over the portage around Kasmere Falls and onto Kasmere Lake itself. I’d been making good time now that the weather had improved I thought if I could get across big Kasmere Lake without being held up by wind I might be able to make Nueltin Lake after all. The weather remained touch and go all afternoon but the rain missed us and soon enough we were beginning the long, but fairly easy, portage around Kasmere Falls. I’d guess it was about 1.25 miles (2km). From the landing a well worn path led up the hill where I promptly lost it as it split off into multiple caribou trails. Wandering around trying to figure out where to go I came across what must have been a couple old cabin sites. Small depressions in the ground surrounded by 4 berms which were the remains of the log walls. The logs from one wall hadn’t quite disintegrated yet and were still visible. Lots of tin cans and old stove parts scattered around the area.

Sadie in the cabin:
20160813_212 by Alan, on Flickr

What's left of a wall:
20160813_214 by Alan, on Flickr

Stove:
20160813_217 by Alan, on Flickr

I re-found my trail and also discovered a key that would help me traverse some of the other portages. This whole time I’d been keeping my eye out for white man trail markers like blazed trees or survey tape. What I really needed to be looking for was broken tree branches and other make-shift markers. Once I realized this following the trail was a breeze.

Trail markers:
20160813_216 by Alan, on Flickr

20160813_222 by Alan, on Flickr

After getting everything over we ran the rapid just downstream, got a nice gouge in the side of the canoe when we bounced off a big exposed boulder after taking evasive action around a submerged boulder, and made camp at the first suitable site we found. It rained on and off a little while setting up shelter and cooking dinner but not bad. The mosquitoes forced me to put on my head net for the first time of the trip. Saw a flock of Bohemian Waxwings and went to bed hoping for favorable conditions to cross Kasmere Lake the following day.

It rained on and off all night and when I woke in the morning I could hear the wind blowing hard. I was almost afraid to go outside to see which direction it was coming from. Thankfully it was still from the south as any other direction would likely have left us wind bound for the day. It looked like it could start raining again at any minute so I decided to wait a while and see what the weather would do. After 3 hours of no rain we left at 10:00. It started raining again in an hour and would continue to do so sporadically all day. We were mostly hidden from the south wind but although we were mainly following the south shore it was able to reach out and mess with us more than I would have liked and made for some difficult paddling at times. There was a mile long crossing across Southeast arm that would be exposed to the wind and waves. As I started the crossing I looked a few miles down the arm to the south and saw stacks of ridges rising up on the far shoreline, all of them heavily shrouded in the white that meant more rain was coming. I wasn’t particularly worried about the rain but was concerned it might carry even stronger winds with it. I made for the lee of a small island and cast anxious glances to the south where the islands and peninsulas were now starting to disappear in the haze. Soon enough I couldn’t tell where the line of rain started and within seconds we were in it. We’d just made the protection of our island which kept us out of the wind but not the rain. Thankfully the rain shower didn’t bring any extra wind with it and after waiting it out for 15 minutes continued our crossing through the large swells.

Rainy day on Kasmere Lake:
20160814_227 by Alan, on Flickr

20160814_230 by Alan, on Flickr

The rest of the paddle across Kasmere Lake was rather uneventful and at 4:45 we ran the small rapid at the exit of the lake and made for the first esker shown on the map a couple miles ahead. It hadn’t been a long day but it had been hard and not much fun at all and I really wanted to make camp. I was relieved to see a sand beach up ahead and when we made shore was ecstatic at the beautiful site we’d landed at. The site was huge and has no doubt been used for centuries. It was large and open with room for hundreds of people. Shelter poles were laying in bunches as well as moose and caribou antlers.

20160814_236 by Alan, on Flickr

20160815_248 by Alan, on Flickr

20160814_234 by Alan, on Flickr

We began to climb to the top of the rise and found a nice pond contained within the esker. At the very top of the hill I was surprised to find an old grave yard. I could make out what looked like 8 graves; most of which had once been surrounded by small picket fences that were now rotting on the ground. A couple still had the actual markers left standing.

20160814_239 by Alan, on Flickr

20160814_240 by Alan, on Flickr

The day hadn’t been terribly long but it had been a difficult paddle and not much fun at all in the rain and wind. But we were over Kasmere Lake and only 13 days into the trip. I studied the map, tried to estimate distance and time, set aside a few days for bad weather, and decided Nueltin Lake was still in play. The only decision left to make was would I continue down the Thlewiaza, which would be the shorter and faster route with more and bigger rapids, or portage over to the Putahow River, which would be a little longer but perhaps a little more tame. I was camped only 1/2 mile from where I’d need to turn either right or left.

That evening I distinctly remember walking down to the beach to get water. There was a confident swagger in my step I couldn’t stop if I tried and I was at least 8 feet tall. I’d been working hard for nearly two weeks and could feel myself getting stronger every day. I was all alone in the middle of the great Canadian wilderness and I was going to make it to Nueltin Lake after all.

Sunset over the Thlewiaza after a hard day crossing Kasmere:
20160814_246 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Last edited:
There was a confident swagger in my step I couldn’t stop if I tried and I was at least 8 feet tall. I’d been working hard for nearly two weeks and could feel myself getting stronger every day. I was all alone in the middle of the great Canadian wilderness...

Alan
bold/underline added for emphasis

Alan, you have lived and described that craving we all have... I'm enjoying this report/trip very much. Thanks again for writing this up.

Last edited:
I was all alone in the middle of the great Canadian wilderness...

Title for a book !!!

I can't add much to what others have said, I'm just in AWE !
Thanks Alan !

Last edited:
Glad to hear the sail came in handy a time or two. The ease of up/down with little tailwind sails is the real beauty when the wind picks up and then dies.

I love inquisitive Loon visits. Almost as much as inquisitive otters doing whack-a-mole around the canoe.

Another beautiful morning. Sunny, warm, and no wind. Remember that ‘warm’ is a relative term up there. I doubt it got over 75 degrees for the entire trip and most, I’m sure, were under 70. I’d started this trip intending to follow the Thlewiaza River to Nueltin Lake and decided to stick with the plan so off we went. The water was glass calm as we paddled across Graves Lake before it turned into an actual river again. We soon hit our first rapids which Hap Wilson had marked as a CII immediately followed by a CIII. These rapids are much longer than I’m used to and difficult to impossible to scout because of the length and lack of shoreline access. We ran the first drop, caught an eddy to scout the second and third drops from the boat, and went for it. Took two waves over the bow and thought we were home free as we neared the last set of haystacks. They didn’t look that big from a distance but as I got close, too close to avoid it, I could see the middle wave was a lot bigger than I thought. I muttered to Sadie, “I don’t like the looks of that one” and got ready to brace as it dumped another 10 gallons of water in the canoe. Thankfully that was the end of the rapids because the boat was getting pretty full and hard to control. Pulled over in another eddy to bail out and continue on.

It wasn’t long until we reached another rapid, this one rated CIII followed immediately by a CIV. Didn’t even bother trying to scout this one and set off looking for a portage. River left had rocks and boulders extending far out from shore so we tried river right. Nothing. Broke through the willows and alders to find ourselves in a low bog. Spent 30 minutes walking through this to the end of the rapid but impractical to carry gear across that route. On the way back we went farther inland to higher ground. After getting out of the bog we were able to follow the edge of the rise and it wasn’t a bad walk but was difficult to follow on account of no trail whatsoever. Carried the 60L barrel and thwart bag with maps over first. After crossing the bog to get to the river the last obstacle is to punch through a thick stand of tall willows about 30’ (9m) deep. As I dropped the pack at the edge of the river I saw a bear swimming across the river, to our side, about 125 yards downstream at the very end of the rapids. I was happy to have seen him and had no concern until he reached our side of the river and started ambling up the bank. That put us and our food directly in his path.

I stepped out onto a rock, waved my hands, and yelled obscenities at him. I got no reaction whatsoever, presumably on account of the noisy rapids. Started thinking about what to do should there be a confrontation. I brought along bear spray but of course it was safely secured in another pack back at the canoe. I decided, should it come to it, that I wasn’t going to give up my food without trying to call his bluff so I moved the food to a more defensible position and looked back downstream to check on the bear. He was still coming our way and had closed the gap to about 70 yards. He must be able to hear me now so I went back out on my rock to flail my arms and call him more filthy names. Still no sign of him acknowledging my existence but unmistakably he picked up his pace considerably. Coincidence? Did he smell the food? Who knows how the wind is swirling around at the base of this rapids but any wind advantage would be to the bear. I looked to Sadie for some support but she was clueless that a bear was closing in. All she knew was it’s just me and her and she had no idea why I seemed to be upset and yelling. To play it safe she hunkered down by the willows, out of the way, eyes averted, just in case I decided to turn my yelling on her. I tried to tell her there was a bear but she doesn’t know that word yet. I pointed but anyone who has owned a dog knows how useless that is when you really want them to look at something. I told her “deer!”, which she most certainly knows, and she immediately started looking upstream, away from the bear. Now the bear was less than 50 yards away and I went back to yelling from my rock. He stopped, looked up at me, seemingly unconcerned, and stepped away from the river bank into the brush.

Why? Was he leaving or was he just going to come from a different direction? We’re stuck behind a wall of willows and can’t see anything. I decided to wait around a while just in case he was still planning to rob us. Hung out for about 15 minutes with no more sign of the bear and no reaction from Sadie smelling anything so decided to go back for the rest of our gear. But first I walked the perimeter of the willows and marked my territory.

It was a little unnerving walking through the dense under brush until we got to the higher, more open, ground. I kept talking to the bear just in case it was close by and realized I’m only able to say “Hey bear” in a thick Chicago accent a la George Wendt from old SNL sketches. Coming back to the end of the portage it again got a little tense when it was time to walk through that wall of willows wondering if I’d find a bear on the other side wrestling with my food barrel. I told Sadie to go first and when I didn’t hear an uproar figured it was safe to follow. All was well and one more carry had the canoe and rest of my gear across. The sun was still out and after working up a good sweat on the portage I was determined to take a swim. I managed to get crotch deep before I decided maybe I didn’t want to take a swim after all. That water was chilly! I settled for stripping down and using my shirt for a sponge bath instead.

The wall of willows. Will there be a bear on the other side:
20160816_260 by Alan, on Flickr

Again only a short paddle to the next set of rapids and some storm clouds began to appear. Reached the rapids, rated a CIII-CIV, and it was the same story: “where’s the dang portage!?” Set off through the brush on river right and made it to the end of the rapids by bushwhacking but no good way to carry gear that way. A thunderstorm popped up and it started raining a little. Then it started raining a lot. Sadie and I both sprinted to the biggest spruce we could find, which isn’t saying much, for protection. A 10 minute wait and then back to the canoe with still no idea how we were going to get over the rapid. Tried the other bank and found nothing even resembling a landing. More storms were rolling through but kept missing us. Paddled back farther upstream and around a small bend on river right where the shore made for a better landing. Here I scrambled up a steep hill and began following the narrow ridge that paralleled the river, farther inland than my first foray. Other than perhaps a few oddly placed rocks and an ancient blaze on a long dead spruce just before reaching the end of the rapids I saw no sign of human travel on the trail. But a trail it was and not that bad to follow. But did I want to follow it?

I was getting very frustrated and wondered if I wouldn’t be better off turning around. It was already mid-afternoon and I’d only gotten a few miles downstream. There were still a lot of rapids yet to come before I reached Nueltin Lake. Could I expect it to be this way for all of them? If so it was going to take a lot longer and be more dangerous than I thought. How much farther did I want to keep going down the rabbit hole? If I turned around now I’d only have three rapids to ascend. Rattling around in my mind were a couple small sections from Downes’ book, Sleeping Island:

“Both of us agreed over our evening tea and dried meat that this was one of the worst rivers of our experience at a hellish thing to struggle through if one had a real load.”

“…we soon became involved in the longest rapid either of us had ever known. It was simply mile after mile of fast water and boulders. At noon we were still in it….Hour after hour this went on until the river, as if exhausted in its endless struggle against the rocks, spread out into a delta-like fan and became a congested confusion of boulders with scarce four inches of water to be found.”

This last quote was about the next to last rapid before the Thlewiaza debauched into Nueltin Lake. Hap Wilson, in his book, Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba, called it “4km (2.5 miles) of fun and games.”

I decided to make an early camp and think it over. I started looking for a camp site couldn’t find one. Made a couple landings to scout but nothing was flat and nearly everything was rocky. It was getting to be late afternoon and I was forced to start paddling back upstream to try and find someplace to set up shelter. The rain storms we’d been dodging finally hit their mark. It began to rain, softly at first, and built in intensity until it was an absolute downpour. Sadie and I were both soaked to the bone but there was nothing to do but keep paddling and look for a place to camp. Finally found a small rise that was far from ideal but that would work. I got the shelter set up and Sadie dove right in. The rain had backed off a bit and when I looked to the SW I could see blue skies approaching. Since I was already wet I chose to stay out rather than sit on the wet ground under the shelter. Ten minutes later the skies were clearing and I was setting things out to dry. I cut down some dead spruce trees and started a fire to help warm us up and promote drying.

I was stupid. I knew good and well bad weather was in the area but I was fixated on finding that portage. I was needlessly caught in the rain without a good place to set up shelter. Thankfully the weather stayed warm so it was little more than a nuisance but there’s no rule that says the rain had to stop and the sun come back out. Or that the temperature couldn’t have dropped 15 degrees and the wind begin to blow. I got lucky.

That night I decided to turn back in the morning. These rapids were more than I could handle in this boat. I knew that going in but I didn’t expect the portages to be so difficult to find and follow; or to be wholly nonexistent. I spent a day getting this far down the river and knew I’d spend another day getting back. That didn’t leave enough time to reach Nueltin Lake via the alternate route down the Putahow River without putting my schedule, not to mention food supply, in jeopardy should I encounter weather delays. These are the final lines from my journal entry that evening:

“Despite a hard day yesterday I felt great last night. It was the high point of the trip. Today was definitely the lowest. I hope it stays that way.”

Alan

Last edited:
Back