• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

nice little overnighter!!

Moose meat is delicious, Maine moose my son harvested a few years back. Great tasting meat.

my son and I making some great tasting steaks,

I usually do my hunting in other peoples freezers. They always seem to have too much and need to make room for this year's. Works for me. I am not really a big game type anyway, just rabbits and ducks. Big game is too much work for delicate little me to deal with once it is shot.

PPine...I made deer chili for the guys at work once last year and I thought they were going to lick the pot out.Gooooood stuff that.

Christy

No Title

Nice moose Robin... I wish we could hang ours like that... This one is last fall, not a big one, actually the smallest of the two, they were two together and since we are "smart" we took the smaller one. The one I got before that was quite bigger, we had 750 pounds of dress meat. Yukon Moose tend to be a bit bigger than there eastern cousins!!
I do all my hunting by canoe, no motors.

Attachments

• photo1641.jpg
    photo1641.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2289.jpg
    photo2289.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 0
Sadly my sons moose was taken on a logging road, perfectly legal, but not a canoe in moose hunt. He was 750 lbs dressed, so much smaller than a Yukon moose, which I have heard are pretty big.
I just picked up an 18' w/c Old Town Guide canoe today, along with a 20 footer, so if I get drawn for Maine's moose lottery in June, I'll be ready for a canoe in moose hunt this fall.
Your pics should be in Outdoor Life, Thanks for sharing them here.

Good luck Robin. One day I'll have a w/c canoe to hunt from, I have my eyes on a Kildonan timber cruiser made by Doug Ingram, I would like to go make it with him.... But I need the time and the money cause they aren't cheep but ti would be the best hunting canoe for up here I think!!

Robin, you gonna post pics of those new canoes? I was sitting around having a beer Friday night when I suddenly realized I had forgotten to enter the Moose draw, which expired yesterday I think. Luckily, the interweb never sleeps, so was able to to enter. Probably have the same results as most years, a hangover, a spruce grouse and seeing more people in three days than actually live in our town.

Canotrouge,
I can't remember a recipe from last week much less 9 years ago. I do remember a half a bottle of Whestershire sauce, plenty of garlic, and some ground New Mexico red chilis, a little cumin. Most Americans outside of Texas and the southwest make chili that is very bland. I suggest no chili powder, the dark red stuff in the spice aisle. Go for flavor not heat. Good chili has 3 different types of chilis in it and no beans. Green peppers and onions are good. I like Walla Walla sweets and Vidalias. I have entered only one backyard chili contest and won easily because the other entries were terrible. Antelope is another common game meat that is great in chili. Elk is very good and buffalo meat.

I used to have a Sawyer Charger that was built in 1978, an early Kevlar boat. It was over 18 feet and my all-time favorite canoe. The ad for it at that time showed two guys returning from a successful moose hunt with the antlers prominently displayed on the top of the load.

Last edited:
Thank you PPine, that give me a place to start!!
Mem, as per canoe making, I'm sure I could do it... but if I start, I'm afraid I will end up building more than one...
Look like a noce boat, but I want to keep it under 18 feet ut being able to cary a heavy load and that Kildonan Timber Cruiser, when looking at the specs, my be the solution!!

Don't be afraid, drink the Koolaid and join the Cult of the Stripper! Do you guys have cedar up in the Yukon? Wait I'll google it.....hmmmm, can't find any info. I used to think 18 feet was ideal too, so I built two canoes at 18.5. Now they are small fry....once you go big, you never go back. My 20 footer probably weighs about the same as that Cruiser model you are looking at, but it will hold you, your moose, your fat buddy, several cases of beer and a small cannon mounted on the bow.

I believe taking moose with a bow cannon is frowned upon. Though I could be wrong.

I paddled my share of 18 and 20 footer canoes, even 30 footer for that matter, but like the look and the shape of that Kildonan!! As for strippers, I don't have much interest in them, even if I'm a wood worker. No cedar up here, but not far there is, but expensive for sure. I could build it out of Sitka spruce... Would be heavier, but a lot stronger.

I really would like a w/c canoe, and if I get one it will most likely be a Kildonan Timber Cruiser. Maybe for my 45th BD.

No, Mem, I think that qualifies as a cannon, especially in a canoe.

Canotrouge, lovely pics. I moved from the NWT a couple of years ago, and we made regular trips down your way - I sure miss it! In fact, I bought my MR Explorer at the big canoe shop downtown Whitehorse. Looked funny lashed to top of the police truck all the way back to Inuvik...
Of all the places I've been fortunate enough to see and explore, the Yukon tops my list.

Thank you for reminding me that I never ever should have sold my Marlin 444. :(

Robin, you gonna post pics of those new canoes?

Here's the 20'er next to a 16' Explorer,

DSC00811.JPG

You can fit alot of gear with room for a moose on the return trip,

DSC00813.JPG

The 18' has a perfect color for hunting. It looks purplish but is actually flat black, an unusual color for w/c where looks are important nowadays, but the PO floats his own canoe and I think it's just a great looking canoe.

DSC00815.JPG

DSC00816.JPG

I have always liked big canoes, although I have never paddled a freighter. Currently paddling the OT Guide 18, and Wenonah Cascade at 17 1/2 feet. I wish there was an equivalent to the Sawyer Charger, 18 1/2 feet with rocker and depth. The McGuffins paddled one across Canada.

It is great to hear some enthusiasts of the big lever guns. I carried a 444 Marlin working in SE Alaska years ago and wish I never sold it.We saw bears every day often at close range. I acquired a Winchester Model 71 in .348 from my great uncle. It is the original going to Alaska gun from the 1930s. Recently I traded an old Belgian Browning A-5 for a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. It is stainless steel with the laminated stock and just the thing for the rain. Marlin is the new Winchester. There is a guy on the Last Alaskans, carrying an old Winchester 1895 with most of the bluing worn off it. Big canoes are lever guns are hard to beat.

Moose meat in Lasagna! Probably can't beat that, would like to say that I have tried it though!:D I will have to run that past the wife, though, she is a purist!

Jebus! What make is that 20 footer? Don't think I've lusted after anything so much since I was a teenager. You planning on selling that? How wide is the beam at center?

Back