• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Hello from NY & a question.

Reaction score
Hello canoe people,

First time poster who just found the site. I've been paddling since I was a kid, started around age 6 with the scouts so thats about.... 30 years... whoa that snuck up on me.

My wife and I are experienced backpackers and are lucky to enjoy trekking for work and play. We are due for our first child in a few months and I'm seeing a little less backpacking and a lot of canoe tripping in our future.
Up until recently we've not had the space to own a boat but are looking to buy one. Usually I'll rent from an outfitter. I describe the trip and pick up a boat (so far always Wenonahs, no idea which model) and now that I'm shopping for one I'm realizing I don't know much as far as makes, models and what makes a good touring canoe.

So heres my question to you all. I've got the opportunity to buy a 16' kevlar Mad River Malecite in great shape or a 17' tuff weave Wenonaha escape with a minor damage both at a pretty good price. Which should I go for?
Things to consider:
-I'd like to use this boat for multi day trips (up to 5 but usually 2-3) with my wife and one or two kids for a few years?
-I will get an additional boat once they are toddlers.
-I mostly paddle in the St. Regis Canoe Wilderness (small lakes & plenty of portaging) but may take it on slow moving rivers
-We use ultralight backpacking gear for the bulk of our equipment
-I do like to carry a little weight in the cooking department (fresh foods and some pots/pans for cooking on the fire)
-I love the fact that it seems like I'd be able to use the Mad River as a solo canoe.

I'm happy to hear your thoughts and happier to have found this community!
-Henri

This post is more a question than an introduction so I thought this was an appropriate place to post. Please move if I should have posted in introductions.

Hey, welcome HDLV.

I've never paddled either of these canoes, but I'll share my thoughts based on their specs and the other canoes I've paddled, including the Malecite's bigger brother, the Explorer.

Both the Malecite and Escape are similar, being a touch skinnier than normal canoes. The Escape is marketed as a tripping canoe, so that would match your needs. My guess is it will paddle faster too.

The Malecite is a touch short for a dedicated tandem tripper. But I like your plan of adding a second canoe as the kids get bigger. The Malecite might really excel as a 1 parent + kid canoe. It works as a solo too. Bonus if it is in good shape. Fixing stuff gets hard once the baby comes.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Welcome. I'll second MrPoling's suggestion; between those two models I think the 17ft Wenonah Escape is the better canoe for your needs. While 57 lbs isn't light, it's manageable. If the damage is easily repairable and the price is right it would be a good start. As you imply, you can always sell it and find a longer (and lighter) canoe with more capacity as the family gets older.

First time poster

HDLV, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

To me, the Malecite is not really voluminous enough, because it's fairly narrow, to be a tandem tripper unless the two people are very light by today's standards with lightweight gear. It wouldn't have been on my list of tandems when I had two small kids to carry all four of us. I'm not personally familiar with the Wenonah Escape other than lookiing at its specs, but I'd probably choose it just because it's a foot longer and has a wider beam and hence can carry a bigger load with less tip-over potential.

I’m late to this thread, but just wanted to say welcome from a fellow paddler in the Hudson Valley!

Which (if either) canoe did you end up choosing?

Back