• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Big Boundary Waters Loop - 9/4/23-9/11/23

Reaction score
I'm finally writing a trip report for the 71-mile (almost) loop a group of four of us paddled in early September this year. It was a fabulous trip completed by my 75-year-old father-in-law, 60-year-old female friend, my 46-year-old wife and me (50-year-old male). We are an experienced group having completed a few week-long or longer paddling trips together and numerous backpacking trips from a weekend to 10 days long. This trip would include about 32 total portages with the longest being about 1/2 mile. We generally found the portages easy to navigate and well-traveled. Typically, the portages were a welcome opportunity to stretch out legs and do a little fishing from the bank.

9/2/23

We left the Cleveland area around noon. I had just returned home late the night before from a business trip to Lake Tahoe, so my packing happened the morning we left. We made the trip with all 4 participants and gear in one vehicle. It was tight! We drove through to the upper peninsula of Michigan. I had previously scouted a place to hike in and camp for the evening along the North Country Trail about 15 miles NW of the straits. It was Labor Day weekend and none of us were interested in staying in a hotel room or a noisy and full campground. We arrived at the trailhead about 45 minutes before sunset and hiked a mile in from the parking area to a delightful backcountry campsite. We use our backpacks when canoe tripping, so it was simple to remove some gear for an overnighter on the North Country Trail. It was a gorgeous moonlit evening that cooled off into the 50's. We shared some wine and watched the stars getting to bed about 11:00.

9/3/23

We were up with the sun and quickly packed up our tents. For this trip, my wife and I shared our Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 3, my father-in-law soloed in his Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2 and our friend Heather enjoyed her gigantic REI 3-person tent solo. We hiked out, loaded up and hit the road again. We would drive straight through to our outfitter in Ely, River Point Outfitters. We stopped a couple of places along the way for fresh fruit, pasties and beer. We made the outiftter's a bit before dark and tent camped in their grounds. We were the only tent campers there and a quiet night was had. We took advantage of the shower, shared a bit of our wine and went to bed about 10:30 to the loons calling.

9/4/23

We met with the outfitter at daybreak to settle up and get our canoes, identical 17' Kevlar Souris River canoes. The outfitter trailered the boats and loaded us and our gear. We stopped for fishing tackle in Ely and put in at Moose Lake (25) by 10:00. I had warned our group that our start would be a bit unpleasant. We had opted not to be taxied off of this lake, instead paddling its length. Moose Lake allows motorized boats and it was busy. It was also unseasonably warm with temperatures approaching 90 degrees. Stable flies (at least that's what I call the spawn of Satan, hard to kill, elusive little b*st*rds) harassed us as we paddled our first day. We did enjoy the loons, eagles and beaver lodges as we entered Sucker Lake, completed our first short portage and made it onto Knife Lake on the Canadian border. We completed one of our longer portages and made camp just southwest of Isles of Pine. We kind of rushed our campsite selection here as the weather made a sudden change with a stiff eastern wind whipping up white caps and bringing some ominous clouds. I thought we were in for a thunderstorm, but it never materialized. We made camp at 4:45. It was the longest day of the entire trip, aided by having only a couple of portages. We traveled a bit more than 12 miles. It would set us up very nicely for the rest of the trip.
We had already settled into our portage routine. I would carry a canoe with food pack on the first trip over. My wife would carry the other canoe. We would both go back for whatever gear our other two companions were unable to carry on their trip over. My wife and I didn't mind doubling the portages as the leg stretching was welcome. Later in the trip, we did manage a few single carries. In addition to the two canoes, we carried 5 paddles, 3 fishing rods, 4 backpacks and a large food pack with 3 of the bear canisters. The 4th bear canister was in my pack.
We switched around in the boats quite frequently. However, I was most often in the stern of one canoe while my father-in-law (JD) handled the stern of the other.
Our campsite was a very nice one. I was a bit nervous that we'd have some trouble finding unoccupied sites this early in the trip and this close to the holiday. While Moose Lake was busy, once we got a couple of portages away from it, canoe traffic decreased significantly, and finding good campsites was not difficult. We had a lovely evening, finishing our wine, enjoying a refreshing swim and having a wonderful dinner of dehydrated tofu vermicelli. We caught a few smallmouth bass in the evening but released all of them. The stars made it difficult to go off to bed, but we did by 10:30.

TO BE CONTINUED

9/5/23

Our first evening and night on the water was just lovely. Morning was wonderful as well! We were up by about 7:00 or so and I made pancakes! I surprised my traveling companions with some new additions: powdered butter and powdered maple syrup. Wow! I further simplified it by just mixing the two together so that the pancakes could be dipped in the butter-syrup slurry. It was fantastic! All meals were cooked on our MSR Dragonfly stove fueled with white gas.

We hit the water about 9:00 under sunny skies and temperatures that would rise into the 80's and get a little uncomfortable. We had a bit of a warm breeze all day, mostly behind us, that created some chop on the larger bodies of water. We traveled east on Knife Lake leaving the border with Canada mid day to enter the South Arm of Knife Lake. It was a LONG stretch of paddling before we reached the short portage to Eddy Lake, where we had some lunch. Then a short portage into Jenny Lake. A big storm was brewing and I was getting nervous. The wind was kicking, whitecaps were forming on even these small lakes and the sky was black. Thunder was sounding closer and closer. We found a nice site in the eastern bay of Jenny Lake in time. We got there around 2:30. We had time to get the tarp and tents up before the skies just opened up. I'm not sure I've experienced heavier rain in the backcountry. The lightning crashed all around us. While Heather and JD waited it out in their tents, Jodi (my wife) and I sat under tarp and boiled water for tea. It was during this time that my old steripen finally bit it, the bulb choosing day 2 of an 8-day paddle to finally fail. I had backup iodine but was relieved to learn that Heather had also brought her (much newer) steripen. We'd use hers without fail for the rest of the trip.
The rain was so heavy that rivulets were forming throughout camp, including under shelters. However, everything stayed dry. The heavy stuff ended by 5:00 and we had dinner shortly after. This was the promised cold front and the temperatures had plunged! It would drop into the 40's overnight as rain continued intermittently. Dinner was dehydrated lasagna. We did a bit of evening fishing again releasing the smallmouth bass we caught. We enjoyed the active and entertaining loons in camp and hit the hay early; about 9:30.

9/6/23

It took us a bit to get going today in spite of having a much simpler breakfast of oatmeal and granola. The rain continued intermittently and we were all a bit slow to pack up a wet camp. We finally hit the water about 10:00. The spitting rain continued on and off all day and it was rather windy out of the southeast. We portaged to Annie Lake and another short portage to Ogishkemuncie. This is a big lake and the chop out in the lake was significant enough to force us to take some precautionary measures. We used the islands in the western part of the lake as wind shadows and then hugged the southern shore. While it was a little misty and foggy, it was clear enough to see that this is a beautiful lake with outstanding island camping. We paddled to the 107-rod portage into Mueller Lake having some lunch at the end of the portage. We caught a couple on a 10-day trip on this stretch, the only paddlers we'd see today. We made a couple of more short portages into Agamok Lake and paddled west to east across this interesting body of water to a very short 18-rod portage to Gabimichigami Lake. My heart sank a bit when we reached the end of the portage. The lake looked rough with the east wind pushing white caps left to right directly across our route. We huddled up to strategize. The group wanted to get across the lake today as it was early in the day. So, we hugged the shore creeping east to a peninsula where we gained some semblance of shelter. I insisted that everyone have some rope in their pocket and we did a bit of trimming of the boats. This peninsula would be the shortest route we could paddle in the wind and cross waves, but still be about 2000 feet (1/3 mile). We did it fast. Everyone dug deep. We had one wave crest our gunwale on the trip. I can't believe it wasn't more. We made the shelter of the opposing peninsula and caught our breath. It was smooth sailing now. We picked our way down to the 21-rod portage into Rattle Lake and then the 26-rod portage into Little Saganaga Lake. This is another gorgeous lake. We were being misted on and pushed by a tailwind as we rolled into camp on the head of an island on the eastern half of the lake. We made camp by 4:30
It was a rather raw evening in camp, but not enough to put a dent in our good time. I think all of us even took a swim. However, waters around us were a bit rough for fishing this evening. We had a dehydrated Asian-themed stir fry for dinner with our hot beverages, occasionally retreating to the shelter of the tarp when the rain got a bit heavier.

9/7/23

Up about 7:00 for another leisurely breakfast and packing up of wet camp. We were on the water by 9:15 as the wind began to subside. It was still out of the east and pushing us along Little Saganaga Lake. We used the islands that dot the lake as wind shadows. We had a 20-rod portage off the big lake onto a series of very small ponds. Another 33-rod portage took us into Elton Lake and a 60-rod portage to Makwa Lake. Temps remained pleasantly cool in the mid-50's and the wind pretty much stopped. It was cloudy, but nice paddling and portaging weather. We completed a 58-rod portage and then an 86-rod portage into Panhandle Lake (noted for its walleye fishing). Then a 56-rod portage took us to Pan Lake. We landed some nice smallmouth here, all of which were returned to the lake. Portages of 19, 11 and 19-rods took us to Kivaniva Lake and a 50-rod portage finally got us into the Kawishiwi River. We were all alone today. It felt as if we had the Boundary Waters all to ourselves. I think it was my favorite day of the trip.
We did have a little trouble on the portage off of Pan Lake. We made our initial portage on what ended up being the old portage trail. On the return trip, more out of curiosity than anything else, Jodi and I hiked the newer portage trail back finding that it ended back on Pan Lake about 1/4 mile north of the old trail. The new trail was vastly superior and I had fought hard to get the first canoe over the old overgrown trail. We bushwhacked over to the old trail where the second canoe and a pack remained. But we had no paddles! Jodi and I found a couple of makeshift paddles in a dead spruce tree and a long pole-like log and made the paddle back to the new portage trail. I thought it was totally worth it. Jodi perhaps didn't. We did spot some pitcher plants on our detour. I always find them fascinating. There were also moose and wolf tracks along this portage!
Paddling the river was lovely. We also enjoyed the scenery, the birds, loons and tremendous fishing. We spotted a pair of swans shortly before making camp. We camped at the last campsite before a 23-rod portage around a small rapid. We made it here by 5:00 It was my favorite site of the trip. Here, we caught a few large smallmouth bass that we cleaned and, for the first time this trip, ate. They tasted so good! We all had swims and even enjoyed our only fire of the trip. The skies cleared and stars came out in abundance. It cooled into the low 40's tonight.

9/8/23

Pancake morning again with the now very popular powdered butter-maple syrup slurry adding to the anticipation. An eagle joined us in camp; one of hundreds we'd see the next couple of days. We spent most of the day rather leisurely paddling down the river. We saw two solo paddlers all day long. This is a spectacular part of BWCA I've never before visited and I love it. DON"T GO THERE!
We had 4 short portages today, but they allowed us to stretch, fish, eat lunch. We caught a LOT of fish today; Northerns, Walleye and Smallmouth Bass. They all went back, but some were lunkers. This is particularly true of the smallmouth. I caught a couple that were among the largest smallmouth bass I've seen. We just had a fun day in really good paddling weather. It was sun dappled and temps topped out around 60 degree. Very comfortable.
We camped in the far east bay of Lake Insula at the junction of the 17 and 53-rod portages. It was a tremendous western facing campsite and we had a spectacular long sunset and equally wonderful stars to view as nighttime set in.

9/9/23

We awoke to some light rain that would continue on and off through the day. This was a day spent entirely on Lake Insula. We did not portage today. We also saw very few people; only one party until we reached the western edges of Lake Insula, where we saw more people. It was another incredible day of fishing with all of us pulling in smallmouth, northerns and walleye. This was done by casting and trolling both. JD called it one of the best days he'd every had fishing. Lake Insula had a big burn a number of years ago which made the day of paddling in the mist rather eerie. Our constant companions were the eagles. They were everywhere and their chirping was ubiquitous even when we couldn't see them. It felt like a vacation day from our vacation. We made camp pretty early by around 2:30. It was raining the heaviest we'd experienced today, so we set the tarp up and made tea. The rain eventually gave way to another amazing sunset and star display. We lazily fished and paddled around our island as the evening went on. We noted wolf and moose tracks in the sandy beach around our site. Beavers patrolled with the loons.
We did have one of the most frightening experiences of my wilderness traveling career tonight. We were sound asleep in the tent burrowed in sleeping bags as temps would drop into the 30's. On this island in Lake Insula, the recent burn had resulted in the typical recovery landscape of thick brush of spruce and other trees all similarly sized. This made tent siting difficult. Jodi and I ended up at the mouth of the trail to the privy. About midnight, I was awakened by crashing around in the woods. Then I heard heavy hoofs. It was definitely a moose and it was headed our way. I had visions of us getting trampled.

A smattering of photos from a beautiful trip.

The rest of the trip report is coming

Attachments

• IMG_4517.jpeg
    IMG_4517.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4640.jpeg
    IMG_4640.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4633.jpeg
    IMG_4633.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4628.jpeg
    IMG_4628.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4576.jpeg
    IMG_4576.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4569.jpeg
    IMG_4569.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4555.jpeg
    IMG_4555.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4537.jpeg
    IMG_4537.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4659.jpeg
    IMG_4659.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4627.jpeg
    IMG_4627.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8731.jpeg
    IMG_8731.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8742.jpeg
    IMG_8742.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8785.jpeg
    IMG_8785.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8807.jpeg
    IMG_8807.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8828.jpeg
    IMG_8828.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8832.jpeg
    IMG_8832.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8868.jpeg
    IMG_8868.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8883.jpeg
    IMG_8883.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8956.jpeg
    IMG_8956.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8990.jpeg
    IMG_8990.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9009.jpeg
    IMG_9009.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9111.jpeg
    IMG_9111.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 43
9/9/23

Picking up where I left off, as I shook off the grogginess and came to the realization that it was a moose crashing through the heavy brush right toward us, I began yelling my head off. Jodi awoke next to me, her heart pounding audibly asking me what was going on. I exclaimed that a moose was outside the tent and she immediately understood the concern in my voice. While we had the fly on the tent, the doors of the fly were wide open and, at this point, the dark shape of the bull moose head and antlers were visible outside Jodi's door. The moose realized it's own predicament and was trying to turn around in the brush. In the meantime, I continued to yell and it seemed to take forever for the moose to successfully turn around. I was pleasantly surprised as I heard the crashing brush and sound of the hooves begin to move away from the tent. How did that moose not trample at least a corner of the tent or tear the fly off in its antlers. We soon heard the moose munching willow lakeside and splashing in the water. Our travel companions finally awoke and heard the moose doing moose things, but they missed all the drama!

9/10/23

Pancake day again today! Also lots of fishing, mostly trolling. We caught mostly northerns today. It was a bright, sunny perfect day. Temperatures remained in the low 60's and there was very little wind. Eagles and turtles were our constant companions. We made the 95-rod portage around a set of rapids that was mostly boulders. Water levels were very low for our trip. We caught a number of northerns as we paddled across Hudson Lake. A series of 3 short portages got us into Lake Four and paddler traffic picked up significantly. We paddled to Lake 3 and found a beautiful, unoccupied peninsula site facing west. It was the final day of our fishing licenses, so we did a lot of paddling after setting up camp catching more fish, but really doing more sightseeing. The scenery, particularly as the sun set, was spectacular. Beavers and loons abounded. We enjoyed a wonderful final evening in camp and the stargazing and meteorite watching was topnotch. We heard wolves howl; only the second time of the trip and one of my favorite things about paddling BWCA. The very clear skies resulted in our coldest night of the trip as it dropped down to the mid-30's overnight.

9/11/23

We were up with the sun. We had a rendezvous with the outfitter and plenty of time. The last day of a longer trip is always kind of melancholy for me. I love the routine and the work of a wilderness trip. I also am in love with the simplicity. There are so few things to worry about while traveling through the wilderness.
We were on the water by 9:00 with another gorgeous day to paddle. Clouds cover would increase as the day went on. We paddled into Lake 2 and then did two short portages into Lake 1 with heavy paddler traffic. We made the takeout by noon, had a hot lunch and beverages while waiting for the outfitter who arrived promptly at 1:00.
The outfitter had lots of questions about our trip. They reported that we had taken one of the more ambitious trips amongst their clients that season and were especially impressed with my 75-year-old father-in-law. We swung into Ely for a beer and dinner and then drove straight through home to Cleveland.

This was a wonderful revisit to BWCA. The trip could not have gone more smoothly. A wonderful time was had by all.

Enjoyed reading your report and it brought back memories as the center sections of our trips overlapped quite a bit. I distinctly remember how much of a PIA the false portage out of Pan lake was and I too seemed to have the entire Kawishiwi River to myself. Kudos to the father-in-law too... an object in motion remains in motion...

Curious: was this your Kawishiwi river site?

IMG_20210523_131954668.jpgIMG_20210523_132016575_HDR.jpg

Enjoyed reading your report and it brought back memories as the center sections of our trips overlapped quite a bit. I distinctly remember how much of a PIA the false portage out of Pan lake was and I too seemed to have the entire Kawishiwi River to myself. Kudos to the father-in-law too... an object in motion remains in motion...

Curious: was this your Kawishiwi river site?

View attachment 138331View attachment 138332
I think that’s the one! Loved it there.

I have fond memories of an 80 mile loop from Moose Lake to the Big Current and back in 1985. I always planned to return. The portages and the distance to get there have stopped me. In those days outfitters rented 17 foot Grumman alum canoes. It would be a lot better with a kevlar boat.

Back