• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

8 pound canoe build

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/aNYG0JD7Ot8

I thought of Stripperguy, when I saw this !
A guy could carry this around ALL day ! Even use it for an umbrella !
I think my boots weigh that much !
Anyway interesting !

Jim

I really like the skin on frame boats... I think one can achieve a 20-25lbs 16 foot tandem fairly easily. And they are tougher than people think. I think they would be awesome boats for lakes and portages trip even for boulder free rivers!
I would like to try my hand at one when my shop is finished!

I friend of mine has one of those little ones. We saw him last night and he said it took him about 4 attempts at entry into the boat before he was able to get in without it flipping over on him. I don't know what design he had but I'm sure it would make a difference.
Jim

I friend of mine has one of those little ones. We saw him last night and he said it took him about 4 attempts at entry into the boat before he was able to get in without it flipping over on him. I don't know what design he had but I'm sure it would make a difference.
Jim

I'm sure design is really important just like in any boats!!
I honk I would start with something proven, like a prospectors or the like!

https://youtu.be/aNYG0JD7Ot8

I thought of Stripperguy, when I saw this !
A guy could carry this around ALL day ! Even use it for an umbrella !
I think my boots weigh that much !
Anyway interesting !

Jim

You should have thought of my son when you saw that!!
He built a 12 footer that weighs 10 lbs, when he was 12 years old...MDB kept ridiculing it, said it would never be practical. She even named it "The Lampshade". Ha!! Here he is on Duck Hole (now known as Muck Hole) with it.

View attachment _S0AeSUJXUTLWLldUxphMks4fDfMAwK4BQIdhOeHHeCKmYX6BJVVCA-WZUowvc0dfm8HdyLTFSznmxCPshyfnqohJFruz5pMCYsa

I really like the skin on frame boats... I think one can achieve a 20-25lbs 16 foot tandem fairly easily. And they are tougher than people think. I think they would be awesome boats for lakes and portages trip even for boulder free rivers!
I would like to try my hand at one when my shop is finished!

I'm seriously thinking of building one !
The 8# is to small !
The One Stripperguy's son built, might be right ! It appears to be similar to the Wee Lasse.

8 lb canoes have been around a long long time
Platt Monforts designs are well tested
http://gaboats.com/
Like any boat they have to be sized appropriately for you
I've paddled a couple. A friend with lifting limitations fits the 8 lb. she is small

8 lb canoes have been around a long long time
Platt Monforts designs are well tested
http://gaboats.com/
Like any boat they have to be sized appropriately for you
I've paddled a couple. A friend with lifting limitations fits the 8 lb. she is small

Lots of choices there ! Thanks for the link !

Ya those skin frame boats might be nice, but the question is - can you put packs in it and travel with it? And will it hold up?

I ran into a group of Urban Boat Builder kids in the Boundary Waters a couple years ago. They had built the canoes they were in and were quite proud of them. I wouldn't say they treated the boats with any special care at the portage other than trying to avoid hitting rocks, but we all know how that goes. I made a skin kayak a few years back and I was surprised how tough it is. I would certainly canoe trip on lakes in a skin boat if I had one. As long as you bring enough gorilla tape and some of that lashing cord I think you could repair just about anything.

Ya those skin frame boats might be nice, but the question is - can you put packs in it and travel with it? And will it hold up?
The ones that I have seen designed for wilderness travel have a slat floor. SOF kayaks have been around forever. The original Greenland Kayaks were covered in seal skin. Nowadays we dont do that but dacron is pretty tough. I have three dacron covered canoes.

I built the arrow 14 a number of years ago. It was 22lbs I think? I used Doug fir and white oak which explains the extra weight. I would still have it today but when I planned on that design, I had grossly underestimated my tripping weight and only had about 2 inches of free board when full. It was a little twitchy! If I were to do it again, I would purchase plans for the larger snowshoe 14, and use cedar.

Jason

Back