• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Pearl the Kevlar Plug

Reaction score
As I have planned to use my Pearl as a plug for a one off Kevlar canoe.
I finished feathering the S-glass on the football, and the stem bias pieces, on the ends.

Now it was time for to lay the heat shrink window film. Everything went fine, except the window film didn't shrink.
Tomorrow I need to find better heat shrink window film.
Here's a pic of how I'm handling the tumblehome.

Jim
IMG_0382_zpsrjihuooi.jpg

Last edited:
Have fun Jim! Will you have any helpers for the layup? I don't remember if we discussed the lamination schedule in another thread. 8.9 oz Kevlar and a full layer and football of 6 oz S-glass?

I always try to get the shrink film as tight as possible when taping it on. It makes it easier to get the wrinkles out.

Nice. Should be fun to watch. Please keep Alan's pace ... 2-3 months max.

I believe the last time, it was Duck brand, and it worked fine. This was an off brand that was cheap ! Lesson learned ! Trouble now is a lot of places have put that stuff away until Fall !
I'll be on the hunt tomorrow!

I'm retired, and I still don't think I can keep up to Alan's pace ! I'll give it a go. It makes for a good incentive for sure !

Home made boats are just EVOLVING ! Ha !

My plan for the Kevlar, is once it's wet out, to let it cure just past tacky stage.
Then treat it like a sealed wood hull, and apply E-glass. With an additional layer over the football of S-glass.
The ends will be left open, to ease removal.

Once removed, and I'm not totally set on this, I plan to lay my Pink foam with slightly thickened resin between the Kevlar and foam.

Vacuum bagging this would be the best option, but last time, I supported the hull with planks, covered the foam with plastic, and poured sand on top of the foam, forcing it on to the resin and hull.
The 1/4" foam is actually perforated, this allows air and resin to escape
I spread the resin before laying in the foam.
Once the resin between the foam has cured, I feather the edges of the 1/4" Pink foam with sand paper, apply a layer of E-glass, Then assess what is needed to support the side walls.

As always, I welcome any comments !!

Jim

Great idea pouring sand in to hold the foam down.

I wouldn't wait for the epoxy to tack up between layers. I don't think it matters either way, I'm just impatient, and I like to soak up any extra resin I put on the Kevlar with the fiberglass.

I don't have any experience with whole foam cores so I can't comment on that. Are you going to paint the inside or just deal with the pink foam?

I'd would love to put the E-glass on immediately after wetting out the Kevlar. It's just to hard to manipulate, without distorting the weave of the E-glass.

As far as the sand idea, I'd prefer a vacuum.

Jim

Today I found some better heat shrink plastic. It's on, but still have some wrinkles, I don't think it will be a problem, beings the kevlar is 8.9 oz.

Looks like Monday I'll start cutting cloth, and wetting it out.

Jim

I wish I had an excuse to head up your way on Monday, but I have to work, and it is our busiest time of year. You are killing me with your heated shop. I'm four hours south and haven't dreamed of mixing epoxy yet. Stick a piece of clear packing tape over those wrinkles to smooth them out, the epoxy won't stick.

Good trick Muskrat !
This film is so thin, that I don't think it will be a problem, but I may try that on the ends where the wrinkles are more prominent.

It amazes me how handy a heated shop is ! I've gotten so many things done, that I wouldn't otherwise do !
It makes a great place to escape also ! HA !

Jim

IMG_0392_zpsbujlbqdu.jpg
I have the Kevlar cloth, on Pearl, with the window film layer between.
Trimmed, ready for epoxy.

I'm a little nervous, and wondering if I should have a lamination roller on hand before proceeding?

Years ago using 9 oz stitched, I had small voids. This Kevlar is 8.9 oz woven. What do you think ?

Jim

IMG_0394_zps9aze0kdm.jpg
Here is how I fastened the window film to Pearl. I used double sided tape, attached to the bottom of my forms.
You can see a lot from this pic. One, I used hot melt glue to hold Pearl tight to the forms. This was needed in the tumblehome area.

You can also see how far in the Kevlar must go to match the hull tumblehome.

Jim

I think the woven will take up resin better than the stitched. I'd be a little nervous not pre coating the mold with epoxy before laying the fabric out. You'll probably just have to put extra resin on to make sure it's good and wet out and squeegee out the excess.

I'd get a lamination roller if that made you feel better. I hate starting a lamination and feeling nervous about that one thing.

I don't think you should get a lamination roller before starting because I don't want to wait until it arrives to see how it looks!

Just looking out for your best interests. ;)

Alan

Alan
I hate to wait TOO !
But I'm going local, in search of a lamination roller tomorrow ! If That Fails ! Well, we'll see.
Maybe try a test.
So far I like the cloth, it handles great, cuts fine, looks good on the hull.

Muskrat
The Kevlar might work to put on a wet hull, as its woven and thicker than the E-glass. I'm just TOO much of a Scaredy Cat !

I need to order some 4 oz E-glass, so it might be better to wait.
Thanks Guys !

Jim

If you want to take a road trip to Estherville I'll give you mine. Pretty sure I can put my hands on it. I just saw it a couple weeks ago.

Express composites could probably get it to you next day with regular shipping. Don't think they have 4oz. glass listed on their website but it may not be up to date either.

Alan

I just made 4 lamination rollers. So I'm going for it tomorrow

I retrieved a few of those USED Cigar foam roller covers, that I like for resin application.
Made saw cuts with a jig on the table saw.
IMG_0404_zps366em5vu.jpg

Jim

Back