• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Dogs. Especially canoe dogs

Reaction score
Doug D lost his canine friend today. We that have had dogs know how much of a family they are to us. Let's see a pic of a canine friend of yours with a short story.
Here is Lucy. She loved all animals even if they did not love back or showed affection with quills or spray. She needed a thwart of a certain height. Otherwise she stood in the canoe. Here she shows her disdain of the confines of a Colden Nomad.

IMG_0463.JPG

Very sorry to hear this Doug. Been a while since my last dog passed, a beautiful and gentle long-haired shepherd - had him for almost 14 years. I know how tough it is to lose such a close companion, but you will always be grateful for what he brought to you and your family.

Losing a dog hurts like heck. They are so full of love for us and enthusiasm for whatever we are doing.

My pup doesn't like the water or swimming but he wants to go paddling with me anyway, every single time!

This was at Little Tupper Lake last summer, the night after staring down a bear that tried to come into camp.

A3656EE7-52D5-483B-BB27-343738C9050B_1_201_a.jpeg

Doug - Sorry for your loss. I too, as do many, know the loss that comes when a dog passes. Thankfully you've got a bank of memories you can withdraw from as the need arises. It's not the same as having your dog by your side but it can help when you need it the most. Best to you going forward.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I shared this with Doug when I heard about Maggie, but thought I’d post it here for everyone who has loved a dog. The eulogy my late friend Dave wrote for his dog Biscuit. Dave was a prolific author, thousands of journal and magazine articles and several books; this was the most heartfelt thing he ever wrote.

Biscuit
1995-2006

It was just earlier this week when Biscuit was checking out, well thinking of confronting, a screaming bobcat in heat. The cat had been hanging about the property for 5 or 6 days vocalizing every evening and sometimes well into the night. That same day Biscuit also enjoyed a nice long swim in White Lake, one of his most favorite of all places.

And today Biscuit (alias B dog, and Biskie; most days he thought his name was "good dog," or "hey quit it") is discovering that there is not a dog heaven. There couldn't be, it would have been filled to capacity eons ago. No problem, unlike people dogs are able to appreciate the day, they are not compelled to dream of a future life where things will be better. All is dog perfect here, and now; a warm day, a soft bed, a ball that is easily carried about, and a full stomach. Heaven is being invited on a long walk, going for a swim, or getting your ears scratched. Except for maybe catching a squirrel, it's about all anyone in their right mind should ask for. And lets not hear any of that reincarnation crap where you get to come back as something better. What could be better?

While he was content with staying at home and happy pretending he was our shadow, he was from time to time a traveling dog. Car rides, sometimes some long ones. Smuggled under darkness into motel rooms, and uninvited visits to campsites and friend's homes from Maryland to Florida and west to Tennessee. Life was an adventure. Bat netting, turtle hunts, breeding bird surveys, he taught visiting interns from Asia how to find box turtles, and showed us snakes, toads, hatchling ground skinks, fox poo, and the nesting whip-poor-wills we walked right past. We learned that destroying sticks, naps and stretching were good things, and that dry dog food, unexpected strangers, fleas, and loud noised were not.

Of course he was loyal, loving, demanding and somewhat obedient-- he was a dog for Christ sake. He could get a stranger to pet him or play with him within minutes. It was his job. Upon entering a room full of people eating or snacking Biscuit could size up the crowd and go directly to the person most likely to immediately cave in and share. He instinctively could open hearts, but he also learned how to open doors; no I mean like real doors, he could open one! Self taught. If he had a few more years he would have figured out how to work the keys.
OK, you get it, he was just another dog (in itself a complement—big time) but we liked him, and over the years he managed to get us rather well trained.

For the record he was the grandson of Blackie and Spot, nephew of Brugal, and one fine and very spoiled, sometimes stubborn, Golden Retriever. How stubborn? He was expected to die 11 months ago from advancing liver cancer. Given two weeks to live, he pushed on for eleven months. This was not sickness existence but for the most part quality time. The good stuff that you multiply by 7. Most people are not as high spirited in the best of times. Biscuit had a lot to teach us, my only hope is that we were all good students. He was the owner of more people friends than we can tally, but trust me he remembers you all.

Glad you got to meet him.

Doug
Sorry to hear you have lost your friend. Keep her memory alive but get another dog, it's the best way to stay young.

This is Holly. Nine years old and stil plays like a puppy. Comes paddling though she's not a swimmer. Comes camping at -30 and never steals the blankets (much). If anyone is ever wondering what breed of dog to choose take a look at Bearded Collies. Holly is a Beardie cross. Fantastic dogs.

49595729978_f48fb1bb32_z.jpg

[/url]P9020488 by Chris Randall, on Flickr[/IMG]49596485867_c4558c87ff_z.jpg

[/url]P9020488 by Chris Randall, on Flickr[/IMG]

I thought I had the only dog who won't/can't swim but loves to hop in the canoe anyway.

Oh no you are not alone. Buddy the current dog hates the water can swim but panics.. He absolutely loves the canoe. And his distaste for water ensures he stays put.

Oh no you are not alone. Buddy the current dog hates the water can swim but panics.. He absolutely loves the canoe. And his distaste for water ensures he stays put.

My Airedale literally cannot swim. It's something with the breed. I've owned 4 and none could swim. And I know many other owners and they all say that none of their Airedales wanted anything to do with water deeper than their water bowl. But when Berk sees the canoe getting loaded on the car, he still gets frantic to go with me! In the canoe, I make him where a doggie PFD (as soon as I pick up his PFD he does his best sit so I can put it on him), and I haven't taken him in white water ever. It limits the paddling opportunities, but I can't imagine dumping in rapids with him.

I had dogs continuously from the time I was born until age 70. (Me, not the dogs.)

The long-haired German Shepard pictured below was the last of 12 or so -- Max. He was an incurable stickaholic, who would rip willow roots out of the ground, accompanying me for years as I maintained my 11 acres with my tractors. He never stopped chasing deer, though he never could catch one, but was lethal against groundhogs.

Yes, they all die. So do we. Those who remain, suffer.

I only ever took one dog in a canoe, my Lhasa Apso, Sasha. What a frenetically unpleasant experience. She leaped out of the canoe trying to attack ducks. Not surprising, since she'd regularly pussywhip Max.

I loved all my dogs. But many of them wouldn't have loved you -- nor you, them. So, I never thought it courteous or appropriate to take them into the presence of other campers or canoeists. Including myself.

QWFhS86KICUCf9V0U9XjNc5AD3D94GEoRjRpNa2lNOzF6cnhnCWO7ZgIYGdeaUCSDI1FIF4IhxsqJsM3fO4YMJ9w9DXJntD3a6LXLtilJs_vutNVQs1GjGAfGL4sPj3mCBdaUOYi1DRFhb-JpjM0v-MroBfVW7rJHS-HhUt_SCzbLH0o4Mj5kwno4PcBErmrycdb3XT0BHWUEOgZLGfohu98NybE50YA61iA-vR6gGvX63E8c_fnbzXPgQMi3v3UCeY9TKe8rxj9APfV0oed6nRjBl_QjK8R4-BH05jMn5BIyofT5NS2zYPZUprAbMwC1zBql_wvIpdUqKFI3pVxlUeX9NyQoY_q_y11YJHCKuJDAYMBcrbi2TN5FK-1pIa_y7Jwat5WUbnL3ejSVNzV173ittZYQdRI-cPkw7JtD4pvUydsUdCoBw8zuCPJzqQB1RlRGVRH3HcOqlxkB8kAYiMFkGdqS35QdHBlxS-l90Czs4SQxZfKe9O3kuvfoTQtAZ-XuLaR2sLgeoGftvsyphMEuv7r6d97HW-UX2N8o9SECaoOFNxyAcI1__TVzkt5GhtQAGuh-KpRIUa7PykBAe-OocrMiXef4iBxjE3U_JGM3KFrxIZC9nu71HG-odI2opD-i5UqWQgp275cS0FmgZCzpLyJeN5rqN0O5JoaT4otD7-dkvPSrLg=w1237-h925-no

Canoe dogs are special. OK, all dogs are special, but canoe dogs are in a class all their own. Those companionable paddling memories live on long after.

Lucy, a Golden Retriever, whose preferred vessel was a tandem canoe paddled bow backwards, so she could sit, hindquarters always centered on the keel line, crouched low but upright, with her front legs on resting on the bow seat, paws folded over the front edge. Lucy had balance. Lucy knew how to lean coming out of an eddy. Lucy was golden, the rare friend’s dog I would request as my bow-not-man.

Doctor Bob, a lazy “West Virginia Porch Hound mix” who had his own inter-net persona, with mysterious tales and trip reports, not written by his owner. Doctor Bob had quite the vocabulary, and offered interesting and at times biting insights about his human companion.

Demented, stick crazed Moby, who was afraid of the water as a pup but learned how to swim rapids, complete with ferry angles, catching eddies and attainments. Moby could be a barking PITA, but watching him puzzle out a rapid was a joy. I swear he would use his tail as a rudder. Moby was actually taken to a pet psychologist, who diagnosed him as being so enthusiastic about life that he was deemed irreparably “leaky”.

Topher’s Mollie (small Pit mix) and Ruthie (Dachshund); those dogs had more canoe experience than 99.9 percent of paddlers. Ball crazed Mollie would carefully set her tennis ball on the gunwale, attempting to balance it perfectly so the ball would roll back along the wales towards Topher. If the ball fell off the gunwale prematurely Mollie would snatch it in an instant and try balancing it again. Ever-calm Ruthie would just sit watching Mollie, probably thinking “dang, take a chill pill girl”.

Wilma the Weimaraner. Gone now 20 years, but I have more tripping time with Wilma and her people than any other dog. Such a good girl, on so many trips. I was with her the last time out in her elder years.

Tiff, the Blue Heeler. OK, I liked Tiff more than I liked her owner. Tiff’s one flaw, if you could call it that, was that she was very protective of her owner’s gear. When he wasn’t immediately present she would ears back/teeth-bared let you know “Keep yer mitts off the kit mate”.

Pyker’s GreyDog, friend to many, on many trips. Johnny V’s dogs, Mollie, and now Abby. Both folks who wisely invested the time to train their dogs from puppyhood. It is such a pleasure to be around a well behaved dog. And vice versa.

Too many other canine tripper friends to list. Bless those of you who bring a dog on trips, you have added a hundredfold to my memories, and having a well behaved dog in camp is a pleasure. I always felt honored to have them come and sit next to me in camp.

Sorry for your loss Doug. I just got myself a new pup this past summer, took her on two canoe trips and she was great. Little bit worried about how big she getting though, this summer may be more of a challenge. IMG_20200227_115711_175.jpgIMG_20200226_100101_904.jpg ​​​

Very sorry Doug.

My pal Sophie turns 9 this month. She’s starting to slow down, but still enjoys our adventures. A flat coat retriever/border collie mix.

Attachments

• photo14292.jpg
    photo14292.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
Jessie was our pup when I was working long hours and paddling almost every day on my off time. On weekends sometimes I'd paddle three times a day and the first two times she'd wait eagerly and the third time she'd quickly close her eyes if I tried to make eye contact. She'd sit in the canoe for hours on end and sometimes she wanted to play so she'd nip at me until I giggled and then we'd wrestle in the canoe and she'd roll over on her back and bark at me. She's less than a year old in the pic and she barely made it to her ninth birthday due to leukemia. Although she didn't live very long we sure had a lot of good times together in canoes.
image.jpeg

Back