• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

First day out with new boat and new canoe dog

Reaction score
Last week I picked up a late 1980's Old Town Camper 16 in Royalex layup. My mother had bought it new for my father way back. He'd used it 2 or 3 times and left it in the garage.

So I took the wife & kids out for a recreational paddle today. Wife & I were in the OT Camper with my puppy, Otto, the Miniature Schnauzer. My oldest kid got the Old Town Next (and she digs it) with her Miniature Poodle, Teddy. My youngest wanted a kayak, and took out my Dagger Axis 12.0 (which she also liked). The location is Robertson Millpond Park, which is a lovely little (man-made) black cypress swamp just outside of Raleigh. We're only just outside of alligator range, so none to be seen here.

This boat has sat an awfully long time. So of course within 30 seconds of pushing off the shore, wifey & I both burst through the seats. We spent the remainder of the adventure sitting on the seat frames. There's my first project.

The dogs were awesome in the boats. The Poodle was easily the more seaworthy canine; if boats got close together he would go ahead and board your boat with or without permission. Otto the Schnauzer had never been that close to water before, and spent most of the day shifting his 13 pounds from one side of the boat to the other (which we could really feel) and hanging over the gunwhales.

The kids want to do this again. Kid #1 said she likes the little canoe a lot because it gives her dog lots of room compared to the kayak (which she's paddled before). Neither kid enjoys single blade paddling. Nor does my wife. Well, I rather enjoy it anyway, though I can go either way on the subject.

Wife is now warming up to the idea of investing in lighter boats after helping me to carry all those boats around. ;) They all want to do this more regularly now.

y6Y1NuT.jpg

NMAFZGn.png

XvkL2ZQ.png

Z3mSIvM.png

l4Se7xx.png

Sorry to hear of the unexpected seat implosion! You can get prewoven cane for two seats and the spline from Eds Canoe
The hardest part is digging out the old cane and spline. Good to do while you wait for the new to arrive

I am not fan of cane seats after having one or two let go on trips one of those being a month long trip, good to have duct tape along. I switched over to webbing and have never had a problem with it. I can PM a link to how I do it, very easy. Great shots!

dougd

Or you can order seat webbing, it's dirt cheap, and staple it on to the existing frame. I use stainless steel staples.

Webbing can fail. Miserably. And when it's about to let go it gives no sign. That's why we trust webbing less. It let go on a long river trip.
Not really an issue. Canoeists always have rope eh?
We wove rope like babiche and the results while not as tush friendly were esthetcally pleasing.
I'm on that side of having cane seats last a long time. Over 20 years in one instance. And yes it was going on lots of trips

Great pics. Everyone looks totally content and it looks like an awesome place to paddle.

I just replaced a cane seat today......as yellowcanoe mentioned, getting the old spline out was a job. I used an 1/8" chisel and a razor knife to get the get the bulk of the old spline and cane out. A mixture of warm water and distilled whited vinegar helped dissolve the old glue. I soaked the new cane for 20-25 minutes in warm water and it pressed right in. Make sure you check the spline size as well as the cane.....what I ordered was too small.

No Title

Work in progress!

Attachments

• photo7404.jpg
    photo7404.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7405.jpg
    photo7405.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 0
Interesting turn of events in the household...

Wife + 2 of the kids prefer kayaks after having tried a few different types of boats out. I'll respect their choice...

The oldest kid (pictured in the OT Next) really loves being able to paddle with her dog.

EVERYBODY wants lighter boats. Dad included.

4/5 of the family wants this to be a regular family event. There is another kid (not pictured) who doesn't handle the Carolina summer heat well and will join us outside when it's cooler out.

I'd already been planning to invest in a carbon or kevlar boat for myself. Kid #1 might be getting one, too.

That looked like a great family trip and it sounds like everyone is "on board" for more.

I just removed the cane from a seat two days ago, it wasn't too bad. I used a small flathead screwwdriver that I ground down to about an 1/8 inch wide and a utility knife. It took a little over an hour to get it all cleaned out.

Good looking family trip Mags. Excellent result. Even the seat fails will become a favourite story for years to come.
That one canine is becoming a poodle pirate, boarding unwary vessels at sea. Lots of fun!!
Plan #2 - Involve the crew in the next trip planning, and watch (and enjoy) the trips evolve. Good stuff.
Thanks for taking us along.

No Title

If you do go the web route with those seats, order webbing in some interesting colors to personalize your boat. These are the web seats (formerly cane) in my Penobscot 16. [First attempt at an attached pic ... sorry in advance if it doesn't work.]

Attachments

• photo7406.jpg
    photo7406.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 0
How did you fasten the webbing to the frames? I recently bought a webbed seat from Ed's that has a single smallish staple at each end holding the web to the frame. I'm surprised that a narrow fastener would hold a 2" wide strip.

Thanks for the photos and update on your family adventure. I'm happy for you that they all want to get out again. My days of paddling with my kids are mostly behind me but thankfully now the grandkids want to go. I'm hoping in the near future we can get the entire family out on the water again.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

How did you fasten the webbing to the frames? I recently bought a webbed seat from Ed's that has a single smallish staple at each end holding the web to the frame. I'm surprised that a narrow fastener would hold a 2" wide strip.

I used 5/16" staples and 1.5" strapping. If you wrap the strap around you can staple to the inside surface as well as the bottom -- IIRC I used 5 staples per strap end. Ed's must use a heavier staple, I just used what I had on hand.

I mostly followed the video in the link below. A neat trick is to cut the straps with a soldering iron, so there's no fuzz (... in a well ventilated area, etc.)

I loved the pics, great looking family, even with busted seats, still a pretty cool day. Paddling with dogs is the best!

Bob.

Back