• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Knife build / canoetripping.net fund raiser thread.

Reaction score
I made an announcement over in the news section of a knife build / fund raiser for this site. The last two winters Robin has kindly allowed me to do a knife build with pictures here in the DIY forum. This year I offered to make the winter knife build a fund raiser for the site, and after the last hacking Robin has agreed that maybe it's time to start said fund raiser. I will build the knife in this ongoing interactive thread and then ship it to the happy winner. Robin will be in charge of rules if any, and the drawing of a winner. He has indicated that it may be a "so many dollars" per chance thing.

This winter's knife build will be based on a design I have built before. To me it is a traditional style knife in honor of Robin's preference for a WC canoe and traditional gear. It will have a 4 1/2" clip point blade out of 5/32" thick D2 tool steel. The overall length will be 8 5/8". The handle will be wood. I am going to let members choose the type of handle wood from my wood stash. You will also pick bolster material (brass or nickle silver) blade finish (polished or satin). The sheath will be leather. I hope to get a drawing posted here this week end and maybe we can come up with a name for this knife after seeing it in the drawing. See you all later. Dave

Wow very generous, I'm sure you'll get lots of bidding from this site. Everybody love your knives!

Here is a drawing of the knife. So far it is just a number. It needs a name. Could be a proper name like Fred. Could be pig schtiker. Could be edged cutting tool. You guys can come up with something and decide.
12274344_1114786765222509_2961858845769038568_n.jpg

Clip point blade. Hmm. The clipper "Tripper"? Can you do stacked wood handle with canvas and leather?
Classic tripping materials for a classic knife?

Looks very much like an old Marples knife, very fitting.
I like it.
Jim

Ya Jim, good eye. There is definitely some Marble's influence in this blade design as I wanted it to have a classical hunting knife appearance, and hearken back to the period of the WC canoe. I read here http://marblesknives.com/ that the founder, Webster L Marble was a timber cruiser in the UP in the 1890's and loved the outdoors. Kind of ironic that he helped cut down the forests.

You can't tell much by the picture but handle has a Nordic influence and feel to it. Sort of a strange marriage but I have made this knife before and it feels good in your hand.

Brad, I really appreciate the thought and the input, but the leather will have to be in the sheath on this one. I'm very nit picky and leather is too unstable to go in the handle of one of my knives. It draws moisture (not good for the knife tang), shrinks and expands with the humidity changes. It would expand and stick up in the summer and shrink and create an adjacent sharp feeling edge on the wood in the winter. I select materials and take steps during my knife builds to ensure longevity. I expect with normal knife use and a little bit of care, this knife will still be around in a 150 years. What's a little bit of care? Wipe the blade off if it looks dirty and don't store it in the leather sheath for long periods of time, leather draws moisture. Pretty much the same care that you wood give a gun.
Got to go snow blow the drive, we got dumped on last night. Dave

The CT Special.

Good for you Karin to get the name game started. I'm hoping several will chime in with suggestions and you guys can decide among your selves. If there's a tie you might have to get together and Indian leg wrestle to determine a winner. Watch out for Mem if you do, he's a ringer. Just look at those calves. Ya, we're going to make a knife and have a little levity and fun while doing it. In fact the longer the winter lasts the nuttier I get. Dave
389631_10151506985830721_1188302805_n_zpsa23c99b9.jpg

Ok, I'll bite, here are a few:

The Chummy

The Chestnut Chopper

The Mad River Trapper

The Swift Slicer

The Old Town Terror

The Robin Roy

My favorite so far......."The Ripster"

Cute Mem. "The Ripster" is funny. No comment on the above pic? I'll be disappointed if we don't get the thread derailed from time to time. We are going to have some fun this winter and raise some money for Robin to maintain the site with in the process.

Keep them coming guys! Anybody can play the name game.
Dave

OK I'll make a name entry" Ripper" !

Hope I'm allowed more entries !

Jim

Thanks Dave!

I'll put in another vote for "willis" Don't know if its because i'm a stripperguy stalker, or the name just has a ring to it! ( A lot of the guys my father grew up with call him Willis, ... , and cleaver, as he almost chopped off his thumb with one back in the day) hahahaha

Thanks Dave!

I'll put in another vote for "willis" Don't know if its because i'm a stripperguy stalker, or the name just has a ring to it! ( A lot of the guys my father grew up with call him Willis, ... , and cleaver, as he almost chopped off his thumb with one back in the day) hahahaha

Willis was the former owner of this site who committed suicide a few years back. He was a great guy and is missed by many. Robin stepped in and took the site over before it lapsed and we lost all our connection with each other. He invested his time and money to keep the site going. I would rather keep this a fund raiser to help out Robin with the costs of running the site rather then turning it into a memorial to Willis. I also would like to keep it feeling light and not like a funeral. That doesn't rule out having a separate memorial to Willis in another thread. Dave

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to seeing another knife come to life and making it a donation is a great thing to do.

I know you threw the name 'Fred' out there as a joke but I kinda like it.

"Fred and I are going on a trip."

"Just an afternoon out with me and my friend Fred."

"Time to put you back to bed, Fred."

"Is that Fred in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

"Me and what army? I don't need an army. I've got Fred."

Alan

Back