• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

West Branch of the Sacandaga (NY) - narrow solo or soloed-tandem with pole?

Reaction score
Well, after 11 months of owning my first solo canoe, I finally have a short weekend to get away and do my first overnight with it. I'd keyed in on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River and the connected Trout Lake, Chubb Lake, and Good Luck Lake as an area that's a shorter drive for me, and sounds like a fun spot to explore with lots of options to camp. But, in reading more in the guide books, it sounds like the area might lend itself to poling in stretches. So...do I bring the Phoenix or the tandem for poling?

Many times I've paddled the West, Middle, East and main Sacandaga, which are all whitewater runs. I suspect you are talking about much further upstream on the West Branch. I've never paddled that per se, but the Kunjamuk River in that area, just east of Speculator, is a nice day paddle up to Elm Lake and back. I put a quarter in a crack in a big resting rock on the bank of the Kunjamuk last century. I wonder if it's still there.

There are many formal and informal places to camp in that area.

I'd much rather pole in a tandem but would rather solo paddle in a solo canoe. Bring both. I regularly used to travel with three different boats on top of my van, all for different purposes: a solo canoe, a sea kayak, and an outrigger canoe.

3 boats on van.JPG

If you are going to paddle upstream and back for a day trip, like the Kunjamuk, I'd choose the faster canoe because of the upstream half of the trip. If you just want to play with poling on a section of a river, use the tandem.

Glenn, I was hoping you'd chime in, since your mention of the Sacandaga was one of the few that showed up in a search of past posts. But I guess you were running the whitewater, not flatwater sections.

If you are going to paddle upstream and back for a day trip, like the Kunjamuk, I'd choose the faster canoe because of the upstream half of the trip.
Well, that depends on water depth and flow, right? If there's more current and the sides are shallow enough (and solid enough) for effective poling, a pole could be much faster going upstream than paddling. But I tried to take a buddy poling the other day on Wappingers Creek, usually great for poling by late summer, and all the rain we've gotten meant it was almost too deep to pole effectively, at least on the reach we picked that day. Would have done better with a fast solo and a paddle that day.

Indeed, my Sacandaga question is really one about water depth. It sounds like the channels going into the ponds (and campsites) from the river are shallow, winding, narrow, and maybe log-choked. Potentially good poling territory, and a good place to use a pole to jam my already-beat-to-heck royalex tandem over logs. If depths are deep, I'd rather be paddling the solo.

Bringing multiple boats is a nice idea, though with just enough time to get into a campsite Sat pm and back out Sun am, I'm not sure I'll have time to play at poling. Plus I can pole near home (on the Roe-Jan, which I think you know well). I could bring the royalex tandem and poles just in case, but then I'd want to lock them to the car overnight while I'm camping at one of the primitive sites on the ponds. Perhaps more headache and better to just spend the time paddling the one boat.

I have done the Kunjamuk in the tandem as a day trip (before I was poling). It is a beautiful day trip, but lots of beaver dams to pull over. More fun for warmer weather, and without the overnight pack. The dog loves pulling over dams, because he gets to look for beavers while I do all the work.IMG_20170917_143211026_HDR.jpg

I have no idea what the water levels are right now in the southern Adirondacks, but there are a lot of waterbodies up there. If you've had places to pole play near home and you only have one day to paddle, then I think you've answered your question with this set of facts:

after 11 months of owning my first solo canoe, I finally have a short weekend to get away and do my first overnight with it.

You can't get up there Friday night for two days of paddling? It's only about a three hour drive from MHV.

Work and family obligations dictate leaving tomorrow am, thus my selecting the Sacandaga, about as far south as you can get in the Daks, to maximize time on the water. But next weekend I have a friend coming and we'll do 3 days 2 nights somewhere farther north with the tandem, location TBD. I've got more over-thinking to do on that next week!

From Good Luck Lake you can do a very short bushwhack with your canoe and carry to Spectacle Lake.
I can just about guarantee you’ll be the only boat on the water…
At the far end of Spectacle, the outlet of Dexter Lake (or is it Dry Lake) cascades directly into the lake.
Even if you just day trip to Spectacle, I think you would enjoy it more than the West Branch.

20230929_220734.jpg
Thanks for the tip, @stripperguy ! Looks like there's a 1.3mi trail to Spectacle from Good Luck. Given those backpacking trails around there, I wondered if I wouldn't have a better chance at a campsite and solitude at the single site on either Chub or Trout Lakes. Any insights from your experience in the area?

Never visited Chub, Trout IMHO is a shallow mud hole.
I have seen folks camping there, but never spoke with them to field their opinions.
Good Luck has quite a few sites, but also easy access and some rowdy crowds on occasion

Last edited:
I ended up portaging over to Spectacle from Good Luck and camping there. The 1.3 miles portage (maybe 1.4 or 1.5 from the shores of Good Luck) wore me out. Is there a secret bushwack route that's a lot shorter, or are you just a lot tougher than me, @stripperguy ? :)

Spectacle is really pretty though, and more interesting than Good Luck in terms of islands, peninsulas, etc. If I were to do it again I'd camp on Good Luck and just portage the boat to Spectacle for a day trip (for me, that'd be once each way instead of 3 times each way, carrying pack and canoe separately). But I really appreciated the suggestion, thanks!

To the original post about poling, the short section of the West Branch that I saw between the put-in and Good Luck was definitely better paddled than poled.

What?? No pics?
I’m away in Yellowstone and was rushed with my reply.
Camping on Good Luck and day tripping to Spectacle would have been my suggestion, sorry I didn’t take more time…
Did you happen to bushwhack to the cliffs at the end of Good Luck? It’s a fun and scenic effort.
Now, let’s see some pics (please)
Oh, and were the little falls from Dry running much? That’s a scenic spot that few ever see, since most visitors are hikers or winter trekkers.

No worries about the rushed reply, I should have thought it through better and considered how out of shape the dog and I both are before deciding to camp on Spectacle. My phone logged your reply but I didn't see it until after I lost service approaching the put-in, so I made some last minute decisions. In hindsight it was clearly too much for me, which I should have figured out sooner. It's been too long since I had a long portage. Unfortunately I spent too much time portaging and didn't get much time to explore Spectacle or Good Luck (neither the cliffs nor the Dry falls, sadly). But now I know the lay of the land better I'll plan to make the most of the area next time. The good news is that it's much closer to me than most spots, so I will plan to return.

If I get my act together I'll do a more in-depth trip report, but here's a teaser pic.

1696339304989.jpeg

Enjoy Yellowstone! I spent a season working out there and would love to get back some time!

Back