• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Toward The Source: An Arctic Odyssey

Reaction score
Spent an enjoyable rainy evening watching a hour long Public Television program on our local PBS. A inner spiritual and physical journey up the Yellowknife River to the source. Got to see some beautiful country, saw twins to my my bug shirt, old Sigg pots and a Bill's Bag in use too. I also thought to myself, "tough country, no place for me to travel anymore" so, if you are young an want to do a trip like this, better do it while you still can.
More can be found at the the web site.

www.towardthesource.com

Here is a link to the Trailer.

Last edited:
Thanks for this find... sounds great, at two hours tonight or on the weekend. Interested in hearing about the spiritual journey side of things, I've always looked for places that seemed to have something extraordinary.

Is the full movie on line somewhere? I just found the trailer, and the "buy dvd" section on the website is restricted to US sales.

I've paddled this route (years ago) and would really enjoy some up to date visuals to complement my fading slides.

If not, I will email him and see if arrangements can be made to obtain one.

wjmc

I didn't have time to read the full text yesterday and thought it was a two-hour youtube vid. But it is being broadcast later from Buffalo PBS so will wait. Will try recording on PVR.

Toward The Source: An Arctic Odyssey
Saturday, September 19, 03:00 am on WNED-TV

To find where it is being broadcast near you, click "change station" and then search for Toward The Source.... station search for NY stations found WNED

https://www.pbs.org/stations/

Last edited:
I don't know anything more than I posted. I was clicking through the TV channels the other night to see if there were any shows that caught my eye, this one did. So, yes I would just contact him, as it says on the web site about international orders. He seemed to me to be a nice man, he reminded me of some of my better friends, that were somewhat "social distancing" prior to CV-19.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Frozentripper suggestions maybe your best bet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I don't have cable. I have sent him an e-mail, will update here when I get a reply, in case any other non-US members are interested.

wjmc

Thanks Birchy, Frozen and wjmc. The promo was a good teaser. I also have cut the cord and so only rely on streaming. I'll look for this and hope to get lucky.
I especially appreciate this tripper speaking of the inner journey aspect of his trip, not merely a weekend warrior attitude towards Youtube glory. (Rant over Lol.)
Thanks guys.

I offer the following to illustrate Odyssey's perspective regarding the inner journey versus the weekend warrior attitude.

img071.jpg

In 1999, Kathleen and I spent January 31 to spring breakup in a one-room cabin north of the Arctic Circle. From my journal on Monday, April 12:

This morning we loaded the sled with spare

clothes, lunches, water, mail, tripod and camera, and began dragging 6 km (3.75 miles)

south to the Tent Camp on the Big Island. We had gone there several times

before to use the outhouse, but had never dragged a full load, and had never

expected to see people. This time we hoped to find James and Sharon, and

we also wanted more practice at hauling our gear. The day was sunny, bright

and -13 degrees (+8.5 F). I felt euphoric, much as I imagine Victoria Jason must have

felt as she was dragging her gear from Spence Bay to Gjoa Haven in June

of 1992. Spence Bay is a small Inuit community at the southern tip of the

Boothia Peninsula in the Arctic Ocean. Gjoa Haven is a similarly small community

on the southeast side of King William Island, very near to where the

sailing ships Erebus and Terror, under the command of Sir John Franklin,

met their fatal end searching for the Northwest Passage. But that’s another

story.

Jason’s book, Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak, is truly compelling and inspirational,

at least for me. A grandmother, who took up kayaking at the age

of 45, Jason spent four summers travelling through the Northwest Passage.

As the title of her book implies, much of the journey was by kayak. The

175-km (110 miles) stretch of the frozen Arctic Ocean from Spence Bay to Gjoa Haven,

however, could be completed only on foot. The following passage is from the

seventh of nine days during which she struggled across the ice with Don, her

only other companion beneath the midnight sun:

"At midnight, the glorious sun did a glancing bounce on the

horizon and started rocketing upward. The snow crystals

turned a trillion dancing, twinkling prisms. The wind gently

caressed my face. The air was crisp and clean. I could contain

myself no longer. I snapped my harness and danced in idiotic

abandon on the ice. I love it! I love it! A claustrophobic’s

paradise!"

Jason’s story, particularly this passage, instilled in me a desire to travel

on the ice. Like Jason, I wanted to experience living out on the ice. I wanted

to sleep out on the ice. I will likely never have the opportunity to live and

camp on the Arctic Ocean, but I will soon be going across the ice to town – a

distance of 40 km (25 miles).

That's the inner journey part. Now comes the weekend warrior part. Again, from Jason's book:

I turned to confront the scowl on Don's face.

"I can see you are not taking this expedition seriously," he growled. I was dumbfounded. Couldn't he see any of the beauty? I was gesturing, but the words wouldn't come. Then I took a closer look at his hands, and cracked up with laughter. The serious expedition leader was wearing McGavin's bread bags to keep his hands warm.

We walked side by side for awhile. He didn't affect my mood at all. Still, I was puzzled.

"Don't you enjoy any of this trip?" I asked.

"No," he said, "the only part I enjoy is when I am safe in my sleeping bag."

I couldn't understand. To go through all this agony and not to enjoy any of it was plainly tragic. I felt nothing but compassion for him.

"What do you think about while you walk?" I asked.

"Nothing," he answered. "I just keep saying I'm the mean machine and nothing can stop me. I'm the mean machine and nothing can stop me."

What a waste.

Victoria and Don never travelled together again.

IMHO - Jason and Don are both weekend warriors. One is more introspective. The other is less introspective. Neither will likely make their lives living off the land in a harsh environment, but if they do they will most likely do so with other human beings, not alone, I am a weekend warrior too. I enjoy short periods of solitude. But, I need, maybe crave, relationships with other people. I think the craving for human relationships may, with rare exceptions, be part of human nature. Perhaps it is similar to the inner drive that herd or pack animals have to be with their pack. We may be a lot like wolves in this regard. Maybe that is why we humans have a connection with wolves that is different from our connection with most other creatures.

Last edited:
A very interesting thread. Not everyone is prone to the introspection that these odysseys provide.
Having had an outdoor career, there were times when time off meant time at home with my sweetheart, close to my dog, a shower, and an ice maker.
In last 60 years of spending time outdoors, I have never built up the desire to go on a long trip say over a month, especially not solo.
It is always interesting to hear from the people that have.
My most avid backpacking and canoes days were when I was younger and lived in an apartment.

There ya go. I should have planted a keener eye on my dictionary and looked up Weekend Warrior. Instead I mini-ranted my way thru misunderstanding misapplying a term that didn't quite fit. It is not synonymous with ego tripping glory hunting. So I'm still learning something new every day. Ha. Come to think of it I've been a weekender myself for most my life. Only because my weekdays are generally filled with less fun stuff. (sigh)
As for this Arctic Odyssey doc I'm looking forward to watching it. And I accept not everyone has to hang prayer flags on every portage. The trip can be whatever you want it to be. Introspection, just plain fun, or everything in-between. This "An account of the inner and outer journey of a 55 day solo canoe trip in Northern Canada." really appeals to me. And I bet it'll be just plain fun too. And it'll take them a whole lot longer than a weekend to complete this inner/outer journey.

Last edited:
I've been in touch with Norton Smith. He has no problem shipping to Canada, it's just a different rate that the website doesn't handle. I've ordered a copy with payment via PayPal, and am looking forward to watching it.

wjmc

I also prefer to go on a trip with others, even just one person. Karin and I did that for years until age caught up with us. Part of that is having someone else to share it with.

I grew up in the forests and lakes and am very comfortable there. It is like my second home. I dont have the conquerer mentality when I am there. I am home after all. I just want to visit my favourite parts of home and see the ones that I have not gotten to yet.

A trip like Alan Gage's norhtern odyssey would be outstanding with a partner or two but alone I fear I would become the reincarnation of Albert Johnson, the mad trapper.

Back