• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Time for Maine, looking for ideas

I've been burned on Chesuncook. Twenty-one years ago, I was a young man who didn't know any better and we were a big group, setting out across the lake from the Village, having just snacked on some of their legendary fudge. We were "supposed to" camp on Gero island but never should have left shore given how the wind was coming up. About halfway across, canoes started swamping and we did our best to tee rescue one another until we were all too swamped to help anymore. Thankfully, someone from the village had their eyes on us and came out in a power boat to save us, one boat after the next. The calamity divided our group on each side of the lake, with half of us camped on Gero Island for the night and the rest back at the village with tents pitched on someone's front lawn. I lost my own bag of personal clothing and did the rest of the trip (through Chamberlain, Telos and Webster Brook to Mattagamon) with little more than the shirt on my back and a few precious borrowed items. Learned more than a few lessons that day!

Yikes!

Pretty common. However the bush radio works pretty well just when you thought you were all alone. Help comes.

yellowcanoe, I know a little bit about VHF marine radios, but nothing about bush radios/frequencies. I'd like to get one. Could you please point me in the right direction?

yellowcanoe, I know a little bit about VHF marine radios, but nothing about bush radios/frequencies. I'd like to get one. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Its called talk
People notice that truck thats parked for a long time
Planes notice your tarp and that it hasnt moved
People notice your canoe
Why? Because there are few people.
Its called word of mouth and its not a piece of stuff

On the roads in the North Maine Woods and in Downeast the logging trucks use a combination of CB and MURS radios to communicate with. Some people have these radios in their personal vehicles to monitor and communicate with the traffic. Most CB’s are tuned to channel 19 while the MURS radios use one of 5 channels. There’s usually a sign posted at intersections on which MURS channel to use, especially if there is active logging going on.
I don’t know of any radio that would work for a canoe tripper. Hand held radios have a very short range and pretty much useless.

Ha, that went right over my head! Didn't realize I had benefitted from the bush radio in the past already.

I took two of my sons up to Rocky Lake this past week and it was lovely. We arrived Thursday with a plan to paddle from Mud Landing out to one of the lake sites, but the wind was blowing far too hard out of the northwest for an open paddle with two seven-year-olds. We set up at the Mud Landing site and stayed for three days, doing short day paddles instead.

We also drove over to the southern tip of Rocky and Second Lakes to scout them out too. I think the chain of Love, Rocky, Round, Second and Hadley all seem promising for us in the years to come and it starts to get a little easier for the boys to do a point-to-point trip, rather than just a basecamp.

Thanks for everyone's insight on Rocky Lake!

Back