• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Solo Paddling the 6th Great Lake: Nipigon

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The largest lake entirely within Ontario, the largest tributary of Lake Superior, and the site of the world record brook trout, Lake Nipigon is sparsely documented for paddlers. What reputation it has is somewhat negative: potentially huge winds and waves, relatively few campsites, and a lot of which are junked up. Nevertheless, Jon decides to see for himself. The video is somewhat talky but has very good photography of the terrain, wildlife, aurora borealis, and night paddling.

50 km of fetch should strike some fear in the hearts of men.
Canadians are famous for paddling in salt water and really big lakes.

I've been a fan of Jon's videos for a while now. At first known as "Backcountry Angling Ontario", now known as "Lost Lakes", Jon and his fiancee Erin are no strangers to arduous tripping and 'backcountry' travel. Lots of hot tent and ice fishing in winter as well. Excellent photography. I can't imagine the effort he goes to to photograph/video all his travel and the work involved in editing and producing each final YouTube video. Good stuff.

His pal, Xander Budnick, who has his own channel as well, is entertaining. If you enjoy fireside cooking, Xander's imaginative meals are quite something to see, and his videos are laced with humor.

That is a great video, very talented guy. Probably his best effort to date, or at least close, imo.

Too bad he lost his kayak paddle.:cry:
His Northern Lights videography was amazing. I also agree this is his best work to date with capturing moments on video. Canoe tripping sometimes can be difficult enough and when you add the video element it becomes even more difficult. Lots of work and John does it very well.

Back