• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Sanborne Canoe Company

Reaction score
I never heard of this company, I just found them searching the net. They have some neat stuff for canoe folks.

http://www.sanborncanoe.com/
The Gitchi Gummi $140

about.jpg
SANBORN CANOE COMPANY, at its origin, was a summer hobby by a few buddies to build a cedar-strip canoe with little more knowledge than we had gleaned from a how-to book, purchased at the local bookstore. By the end of that first summer we had a sturdy canoe and a keen interest in crafting a few paddles to ply it. Learning everything the hardest way possible, it seemed, by trial and error we succeeded in carving out a few paddles. Those first paddles led to the desire to learn more and then more about paddle making, until we had made more paddles than we could ever use. And curiously to us, some folks liked them. Wham-Bang, Sanborn was born!

From that all-too-clichéd “business in our buddies garage” we earnestly set out to carve out our niche in the paddling community. This was familiar territory for us, having paddled and extensively backcountry canoe camped throughout canoe country — for some of us since our early childhood. That heritage had been bred in the early years of the 1900s (and most certainly earlier still), through past generations of our families’ paddling in northern Minnesota and beyond. So through our history and eagerness to learn, we quickly grew as a paddling brand. We honed our craft and in time offered up our paddles to retail locations and to the veritable masses, through the almighty internet.

Thanks for a great website link Robin. I just found a perfect 60th birthday present for a paddling brother of mine. Now I just have to convince the kids that I "need" one of these beautiful paddles for Fathers' Day.
Take care.

Yes, They have some nice stuff, lots of great gift ideas. I liked the idea that their picture on the home page had two guys paddling an average aluminium canoe with those nice paddles. I guess they wanted you to look at the paddles rather than the canoe...good plan cause it worked with me.;)

I signed up to their blog, might be worth a look. Right now they are looking for ideas and there's a chance to win a nice pack saw just by responding.

Well Robin, I don't know. I always understood that steel wool ought not to be used where any "crumbs" left behind could cause rust stains. And that part about "wet sanding" was very peculiar. Nothing I'd try.

When you first posted about these guys, I looked at the site and liked the buck saw. Read over on Wintertrecking or what ever the name is, about poor quality buck saw blades sneaking into the market place. So I sent Sanborn Canoe an e-mail asking where they got their blades, to be assured that I could get replacements. Never heard back from them. Seems like to me if a company offers an e-mail address then they ought to answer it.

Best Wishes, Rob

p.s. over on that thread with "Fireman" that little bit about canoes; you're more than welcome to it and glad you liked it!

Thanks for the thoughts Oldie, you raise some good points.

You are correct about a company answering questions, makes you wonder what's up if they won't answer before a sale, what would they be like after the sale.
Well, they had their 15 minutes of fame....

Back