• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Reflective Tarp Line, in quantity?

G

Ay caramba, I need a large quantity of tarp line. Enough to set up a long, between two trees ridge line and 4 corner ties on a new Noahs tarp, and enough to replace the gone missing lines on an old NRS RiverWing. Seven of the worst case wind scenario 10 Riverwing lines have disappeared. Which may be a good thing, the three survivors are stupidly black in color, and not reflective.

Set up in absolute bombproof mode the triangulated end pole guys at either high side of the Riverwing equals 60 feet of line. The shorter corner lines and directed center vee drainage lines probably add another 40 feet in line length.

A no pole, strung between trees, ridgeline on a Noahs tarp accounts for another 40 or 50 feet of line, 16 feet across the tarp and 15 feet or more tree free each side. Add the corner ties and etc to the Noah, probably 100 feet of line for each tarp. That is already 200 feet of high quality, non stretchy tarp line.

And, dammit, reflective tarp line this time. Our smaller parawing and giant Tundra Tarp already have reflective line.

Some of that line is highly reflective, some, meh, not so much. I know, both from witnessing and, um, experiencing nonreflective tarp line ankle entrapments and unexpected larynx garrotes, that high visibility reflective guy lines are a boon in nighttime camp when trying to walk around the perimeter of the tarp. Especially if alcohol and or clumsy friends are involved.

I have never regretted buying a 300 foot spool of high quality floating rescue rope for canoe painters, even with some going to the cause of properly outfit friends canoes. Thanks again Pete. I only have 100 feet of that BlueWater rope left, and am trying to reserve the remainder for best uses.

I already have need of at least 200 feet of quality reflective tarp line, and expect any excess will disappear in even shorter order. heck, I really need to replace the trippster prone guylines on the tripping truck tarp that stretch out awkwardly between the cap end and cab doors. Those are also OEM black and non reflective. WTF?

300 feet may be just enough reflective tarp line.

So, any source recommendations for a spool of non stretchy and highly reflective tarp line? Quarter inch or 3 16 diameter. 1 8 inch at minimum.

I have bought lots of various reflective lines, and without a doubt have no reservations in recommending Lawson Equipment. Lawson weaves everything in-house, and if you ever have any issue, either he or his wife will answer the phone or your email.

I like the orange or lime for daytime awareness, and at night, you don't even have to hit it directly with a light to see it well. At a distance, often you can see the line glowing from your lights beam before you see whatever it is tied to.

Check out his bootlaces. You will never need to worry about laces breaking ever again.
And I have used his spectra pull cord material to replace every pull cord on every small engine device I own.

If you want to see a picture of the Glowire at night, let me know, and tonight I will string up a piece of all three of the colors so you can see them illuminated.

http://lawsonequipment.com/Cordage/R...ire-p1024.html

Last edited:
i've bought several hanks of cordage from lawsons for various rigging projects and tarp tie outs, etc. Good quality cordage and never any issues ordering from them.

Have you tried Home Depot of all places? I bought two 300' spools there 6-7 months ago. I don't remember the price being too outrageous. As much as I hate HD, they are everywhere.

I have bought lots of various reflective lines, and without a doubt have no reservations in recommending Lawson Equipment.

I like the orange or lime for daytime awareness, and at night, you don't even have to hit it directly with a light to see it well. At a distance, often you can see the line glowing from your lights beam before you see whatever it is tied to.

Thanks, done deal. That sounds like the high reflectivity I am looking for. When possible my preference is for family run American businesses.

I bought enough 3mm yellow Glowire to replace the not very reflective OEM line on two of our tarps. And, pinching a few pennies, the last 50 foot hank of Kelly Green Glowire in the closeout section, which will make a suitable max headroom ridgeline for the missus tarp use.

Have you tried Home Depot of all places? I bought two 300' spools there 6-7 months ago. I don't remember the price being too outrageous. As much as I hate HD, they are everywhere.

This double braided Everbilt nylon line, or something else?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...id-Nylon-Reflective-Dock-Line-70762/206673460

I have so much made in China or Mexico crap line of various kinds from Home Depot that I am leery of their rope selection. Like several hundred feet, and that is after throwing the stuff that had any wear on it. I am at HD often enough, and will have a looksee.

The actual reflectivity of the line matters to me, and varies a great deal. Some of the reflective line we have is not very dang bright. Same story with reflective tape, the Campmor and REI reflective tape I have used is crap compared to the High Intensity stuff.

I also recommend the Lawson brand of reflective cordage. Just used it for a week in the bush and it performed exactly as expected - used as ridge lines and guy outs. Very reflective and strong as anything else ive used.

Back