• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

One Fugly Canoe Seat

Reaction score
As part of the rebuild of the Bell Mystic was taking the bow seat out to make way for a new sliding seat from Wenonah. Due to it being custom made it will take more time then we have before the race so the old seat is going back in. Problem is the cane was rotted out, spline broken, cane a mess. I contacted my buddy and letting him know I could put webbing in with the caveat that the only webbing I had was pink and orange. After some bantering back and forth he gave in and told me to go for it, a temp seat for now. He's only condition was to forgo the varnish after sanding and paint it with as many fugly colors as I could. I will let you judge for yourself if I did a good enough job. Granted I do need to to a little touch up of the hearts, paint bled through some. Maybe this could be the new trend, fugly seats in a canoe!

I really need to heal up so I can go paddling! This down time is killing me and I have better things to do then to make a perfectly good seat look like a circus act!

dougd

Attachments

• IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 0
I would just go with the bleeding hearts, makes for a good story and fixing them wouldn't help the overall vibe much anyway. I'm wondering is that a baked potato the frame is propped on in the first pic? :)

Well deerfly, considering this project it probably should have been the way the better half sometimes cooks but it was just a rock, actually about the same!

the pink webbing will complement the rest of your pink gear doug

Fun to read your write up Doug. Congrats on putting that Mystic back into service...pretty heroic effort on your part. I remember test paddling a Mystic when they first came out and from what I recall they just pop up to a fast cruise with very little effort and then maintain a fast cruise with almost no effort at all. Like cheating.

Back