• Happy National Limerick Day! 🅰️🅰️🅱️🅱️🅰️

North West Canoe's Tadpole ?

Reaction score
I just downloaded Dennis Davidson's Tadpole design, from North West Canoe.
Has anyone built this canoe?
Or even have an opinion on it ?
Thanks !

Jim

I dunno. I wish they had the displacement specs on line. I wonder how much you can put in it? Is this for one of the grandkids Jim ?

I dunno. I wish they had the displacement specs on line. I wonder how much you can put in it? Is this for one of the grandkids Jim ?

Yes more than likely, but also for a smaller person.
More specs would be helpful, but for free, I have no complaints !

I've been looking at the plans, and noted there is very little flare, and a lot of rocker. Neither are conducive to speed or white water.

I maybe wrong! That's why I'm looking for someone that has built it.

Jim

No Title

just finished the build of the north west tadpole and am very unhappy, this canoe is very tipsy, i realize it was intended for a child but i wanted to try it out before i let my boys take it out, i had a very hard time keeping it balanced, there is no way i would allow my kids to use it. at first i thought it might be the seat placement so i sat down on the floor and it didnt help at all.

Attachments

• photo4468.jpg
    photo4468.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4469.jpg
    photo4469.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1
That's too bad. I can see where the narrow width and short length would be a little squirelly for an adult but I wouldn't think it would be too bad. Also surprised there was no difference when you sat on the floor. What boat do you normally paddle?

The seat looks like it's pretty far back from center (is that a permanently installed center yoke?). On such a short boat I'd think that would affect trim quite a bit and could make it a good deal tippier.

How big are your kids? I wouldn't give up on it yet. Kids adapt easily and usually have better balance than us adults.

Alan

I agree with Alan. One more thing to is the light weight nature of kids, and there lower center of gravity, that might make that boat quite suitable for a person let say less than 120lbs...

Looks like a downsized FlashFire, 4' shorter, half an inch narrower, complete with vestigial shouldered tumblehome, similar, symmetrical rocker. It should be a fine boat for those with shorter legs. At 165 lbs Flash is my go to boat for day and camping trips; equivalent wt in the NW boat maybe 150 lbs?

just finished the build of the north west tadpole and am very unhappy, this canoe is very tipsy, i realize it was intended for a child but i wanted to try it out before i let my boys take it out, i had a very hard time keeping it balanced, there is no way i would allow my kids to use it. at first i thought it might be the seat placement so i sat down on the floor and it didnt help at all.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to offer a reply.

Obviously Dale paddled this canoe in cold weather ! Going by his clothing .

It's gotta hurt to go to the effort to build a hull, and end up with it being unacceptable !!!

I hope Dale was able to make it work by lowering the seat !!

Maybe in warmer weather a kid might be able to get it to handle better !

Jim

Back