• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

New Tripping Book - Border Country: The Northwoods Canoe Journals of Howard Greene

Reaction score
There's a recently published book that should interest some folks on the forums....

Border%2BCountry%2BCover%2BImage.jpg

Border Country: The Northwoods Canoe Journals of Howard Greene
Author: Martha Greene Phillips
Foreword by Peter Geye
$39.95 cloth/jacket ISBN 978-1-5179-0107-3
408 pages, 376 b&w plates, 9 x 10, 2017
University of Minnesota Press

The book documents the travels of a group of Milwaukee businessmen and their sons who completed a series of trips between 1906 - 1916. The trips were focused in northern Michigan, Minnesota and NW Ontario and include travels in the present day Boundary Waters and Quetico PP decades before Sig Olson and Rutstrum popularized conservation of the region. The leader of their group, Howard Greene, was quite the character and hefted around a camera and tripod taking hundreds of photos of their explorations. Once back home he would type up his notes, develop the photos, hand draw a series of maps and then bind them into leather covered mementos for each member of the crew.

Border%2BCountry%2B%2BImage2.jpg

The only surviving set of these journals was in the possession of his daughter who teamed up with the University of Minnesota Press to publish all the journals in this new hardcover format. The over 300 photos alone make it well worth the price IMHO. I was sent a review copy and posted a more detailed write-up on my site. Link is here for anyone interested.

I rec'd the book as a Christmas present. It's fun to imagine their trips and where on their trips they might have gone. I try to figure out if I've crossed their paths.

Back