• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Levitating the Echo

Reaction score
There have been earlier threads about hanging storage for canoes, but I believe none for a while, so here it goes.

My wife's new Esquif Echo started to develop mildew on the gunwales after a couple months of outdoor storage. (This canoe was a sudden purchase to replace one lost in a fire, so no time to prepare indoor storage.) I wiped down the gunwales with bleach to hopefully kill any mold or rot spores. After some time in dry storage, I will apply finish, probably some form of oil.

I wonder if Esquif omitted finish on these parts to avoid taking sides in the oil vs. varnish debate? Or were they just cutting costs?

It was time to scrounge around in the collection of sailboat hardware and other junk. The rigging turned out to be a bit complicated and has more friction than I would like. There was no out-of-pocket expense, and unlike the hoists from Harken, et. al. this one is customized to my installation.

It includes a cam cleat and fairlead from a Grumman sailing canoe rig (not shown). What was Grumman thinking, anyway? Who would belay the mainsheet on such a tender boat?

Webbing salvaged from a seat belt and a boat trailer winch strap became slings to support the canoe.

webbing resized.jpg

Here is the flying Echo, with a flying sailing dinghy in the background. Sorry about the fuzzy image. The 2x4s at ceiling level are attached to the second floor 2x10 joists with big timber framing screws. The garage has a 10 foot ceiling, and there is a minimum of 6' 10" clearance under the canoe. Thanks for reading!

echo and dink resized.jpg

usually the undersides of outwales are never varnished. Ash is probably what is on your Echo. it tends to pick up mildew. It's just unsightly.. You might consider this oil though others like Watco ( there are many Watco oils ..teak is probably the best IIRC)

You do need to work in several applications of oil and do it monthly for boats outside.

You don't say where you are but in the South, my friends treat their gunwales more often than in the North.

Thanks, yellowcanoe. Yes, I'm sure the wood is ash.

The Gunwale Guard looks like good stuff, but the shipping is steep relative to the price. I am going to look for something comparable at Jamestown Distributors. I can get free shipping there with a $100 order, and it's time to stock up on boat stuff.

I'm in western Virginia, not too far from W.Va. So warmer than Maine but not Florida. Now that the rigging is in place, this canoe will be stored inside when not in use.

Go to your local
hardwood store and look for Watco teak oil blue can
I agree its annoying when you find an item online where the shipping is more than the item!

Thanks. The hardware store's website says they may have Watco but I will need to phone the store.

I refinished a child's walnut rocking chair for my grandkids with leftover walnut oil from the kitchen. My wife thought it was too old to put on a salad. Think that would work?

No idea! I know its good for wooden kitchen things. Whether mice will now covet the wood I don't have a clue.

It's nice to see a canoe moved to inside storage. Now that it's stored inside I think the wood will last forever if you treat it occasionally with any oil. I'd try the walnut oil. In my experience watco is the most durable oil; I think it's because it contains some varnish. I think that's why some manufacturers use it to treat their bare wood. But it's nasty stuff that requires gloves and a well-ventilated place (and apparently there's even some risk of spontaneous combustion with dirty rags). It can take weeks to fully cure (so might be good for a winter project). I use hempseed oil now since it's harmless and cures overnight...super easy to do a light coat or touch up scuffed areas.
20200819_120202.jpg

If that is walnut oil, I now have a use for the bottle of it skulking in my pantry. I had a recipe that calls for it.

It is not to my taste!

Here is the MSDS for Watco: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/msds/watco-danish-oil-MSDS.pdf

If I am reading the MSDS correctly, 70-75% of Watco is a petroleum product or solvent of one kind or another.

Here is a thread about Watco on the WoodenBoat forum: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthr...g-Watco-Teak-Oil-or-other-wipe-on-oil-varnish

The stuff gets mixed reviews, including one from Todd Bradshaw that is highly critical. Todd is a former canoe dealer, and is a canoe builder and sailmaker. IMO he knows his stuff, and he says:

"Mad River Canoe originally used ash gunwales, decks and seat frames on their canoes, "finished" with Watco oil. Actually, they were shipped almost raw with only one or maybe two coats quickly wiped on and they were rough and looked like crap. As a dealer, we had to explain to the customer that it was a gradual building process. The claim was that dings, etc. would be easier to fix compared to a varnished gunwale. In reality, it got the folks at Mad River out of a lot of finishing work. Some customers re-oiled their boats regularly and eventually did end up with a good looking and reasonably durable finish. Many did not, and that black fungus that ash is prone to would eventually show up along with a rough weathered surface. I've had much better luck with Deks Olje #1 for use on boats, using their multi coat, wet on wet until it won't absorb any more application technique. Even so, those surfaces need recoating before they start to look like they need it. Let it go a bit too long and the wood will discolor."

Deks Olje consistently gets high marks from the guys on the WB forum, and they are a hard lot to please.

Here is the MSDS for Deks Olje #1: https://www.owatrolusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/OWATROL-DEKS-OLJE-D1-V.HCS_EN.pdf

Are there any organic chemists on the forum who can translate? I can't even pronounce the names of some of the ingredients.

Last edited:
I concur with his assessment but I am of the five coats of oil or varnish school. And oiled surfaces need attention once a month.

Here is the MSDS for Watco: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/msds/watco-danish-oil-MSDS.pdf

If I am reading the MSDS correctly, 70-75% of Watco is a petroleum product or solvent of one kind or another.

Here is a thread about Watco on the WoodenBoat forum: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthr...g-Watco-Teak-Oil-or-other-wipe-on-oil-varnish

The stuff gets mixed reviews, including one from Todd Bradshaw that is highly critical. Todd is a former canoe dealer, and is a canoe builder and sailmaker. IMO he knows his stuff, and he says:

"Mad River Canoe originally used ash gunwales, decks and seat frames on their canoes, "finished" with Watco oil. Actually, they were shipped almost raw with only one or maybe two coats quickly wiped on and they were rough and looked like crap. As a dealer, we had to explain to the customer that it was a gradual building process. The claim was that dings, etc. would be easier to fix compared to a varnished gunwale. In reality, it got the folks at Mad River out of a lot of finishing work. Some customers re-oiled their boats regularly and eventually did end up with a good looking and reasonably durable finish. Many did not, and that black fungus that ash is prone to would eventually show up along with a rough weathered surface. I've had much better luck with Deks Olje #1 for use on boats, using their multi coat, wet on wet until it won't absorb any more application technique. Even so, those surfaces need recoating before they start to look like they need it. Let it go a bit too long and the wood will discolor."

Deks Olje consistently gets high marks from the guys on the WB forum, and they are a hard lot to please.

Here is the MSDS for Deks Olje #1: https://www.owatrolusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/OWATROL-DEKS-OLJE-D1-V.HCS_EN.pdf

Are there any organic chemists on the forum who can translate? I can't even pronounce the names of some of the ingredients.
Cool, thanks for the information about Watco.

My buddy bought me a can of Badger Paddle oil (hempseed oil). I like it a lot. If it's used as a wood paddle finish it should be fine for my gunwales.

Just FYI many years ago I knew a canoe dealer that sold "Gunnel Lotion". It was 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 distilled white vinegar and 1/3 boiled linseed oil. I used it for years and it seemed to work fine and it gave the wood a nice natural look.

Back