• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Klean Kanteen 64 oz Insulated Water Bottle on sale Monday 6/8

G

Just a heads up, REI Outlet’s Deal of the Day on Monday June 8 will be the Klean Kanteen 64 oz Insulated Water Bottle. Those are usually $40+, Monday 6/8 only price $24.73.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...p-cap-64-fl-oz

Klean Kanteens are well designed stainless steel water bottles, leak proof, with rounded threads on the screw top and rounded edges inside the on the bottom for easy cleaning.

I have a couple of the non-insulated versions and those are my go-to water bottles.

Thanks for the heads up, but it weighs 1 lb. 13 oz., which is more than both my carbon canoe paddles together. I also don't see how one could get ice cubes, if necessary, in that small screw mouth to take advantage of the insulation feature in hot weather.

I like wide mouth soft plastic water bottles, which are light, collapse as they empty, and don't roll clanking around on the floor of a canoe or kayak. No insulating value in those, of course.

On the other hand, your recommendations did induce me to buy two Luci Lights on one of the virus desperation sales from EMS, which I haven't yet even opened and about which I think I'll start a thread.

Thanks for the heads up, but it weighs 1 lb. 13 oz., which is more than both my carbon canoe paddles together. I also don't see how one could get ice cubes, if necessary, in that small screw mouth to take advantage of the insulation feature in hot weather.

I like wide mouth soft plastic water bottles, which are light, collapse as they empty, and don't roll clanking around on the floor of a canoe or kayak. No insulating value in those, of course.

I never thought about using a water bottle in lieu of a paddle. If you mean simply drinking from it I’m not lifting my water bottle thousands of times a day, and unless I’m drinking air 64 ounces of air, well, 64oz of water is 4lbs of contents.

We have a couple of (insulated) Kean Kanteens, a 40 (1182ml) ounce and a 27 ounce (800ml). The 27oz bottle has the wide mouth 2” diameter opening. The 40 oz has the narrower mouth, but that opening is still 1 ¾” in diameter and fits ice cube insertion.

Ice cube aperture doesn’t much matter to me in a tripping context; I don’t bring my solar powered ice maker in the backcountry. The insulated part might be nice when filtering cool water on a hot day.

It is helpful that Kleen Kanteens can fit a variety of “sport caps”, “chug caps” and “sippy” lids, so when taking a gulp on the fly I don’t have to unscrew and rescrew the lid.

https://www.kleankanteen.com/collect...ucts/sport-cap

https://www.kleankanteen.com/collect...kwide-chug-cap

Whatever water bottles I bring they aren’t rolling around underfoot in the dirty bilge water, they are usually in the (insulated) minicel canoe console or otherwise restrained.

PC290270 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those are actually fuel bottles for the little Suzuki, but same idea.

There's always trade offs isn't there? The ruggedness of metal, the lightness of plastic. The insulating of double walled, the lightness of thin single walled. I covered all the bases by acquiring a selection of whatever was going at the time. I even have several different Thermoses, 'cause like ya never know.
Our 1 L plastic wide mouths are light enough when empty but are a hefty 2.2 lbs each when filled. And the screw opening fits my new water filter, so that's a bonus. They're keepers. Although it's nice to know the aluminum and/or stainless steel containers will withstand a plinking when kicked around the campsite but that's never happened. Yet. And the cooling factor is moot. The lakes are always cold and usually within arm's reach. My wife swears by her plastic collapsable wine container (the swearing starts when it nears empty. lol). As much as I'd much prefer to forgo this tomfoolery of which water container to consider and just dip a cup, but I'm uncomfortable with the quality of du l'eau au naturel. 'Cause ya never know. Squeamish may lead to foolish to hurlish.
Speaking of water containers I have a small collection of growlers. Nice art work printed on the sides. But they're usually empty and gathering dust in my basement pantry. So too does a lovely gifted ceramic growler from a favourite brewery. Like it's container cousins it's breakable, not unattractive and always empty. A contemporary cousin is a stainless "picnic" growler looking sad and out of place. Perhaps it wouldn't look so foolish if it were filled but keeping beer growlers filled is my department and I've been lax. This ss version is what sprang to mind when I saw those impregnable Primus flasks in the photo above. It wouldn't be too out of place on a picnic canoe trip. But chances are the beer would run out far too soon and someody'd have to refill it. And lug the heavy beast. No, methinks it'll stay home and keep good container company in the pantry.

There's always trade offs isn't there? The ruggedness of metal, the lightness of plastic. The insulating of double walled, the lightness of thin single walled. I covered all the bases by acquiring a selection of whatever was going at the time. I even have several different Thermoses, 'cause like ya never know.

Brad, we have that varied selection as well, from old Mirros (once my favorites; I could squeeze the sides on hot sweaty days and gullet-force down something exceeding a mere gulp) to freebie boat or bike race plastic sip bottles to junky aluminum water bottles to Klean Kanteens, some with insulating KK accessory coozie neoprene sleeves.

If I want something kept hot our stainless steel Nissan vacuum bottles are good for near 24 hours still hot, or at least coffee-drinkable warm , in most conditions. I enjoy walking into a gas station convenience store in the wee hours, holding one of those, asking “How much to fill this up?” And hearing “Same as a large cup of coffee”.

Not just that; half the time a bored clerk will offer to make a fresh pot. Yeah, I got 5 minutes to wait for a fresh pot of coffee to keep me going all night.

I bring those two (27 oz and 40 oz) Klean Kanteens on every canoe trip, and on no-potable water tidal trips, often bring a third. I trust those Klean Kanteens not to puncture or leak. Dromadary bags and the like, eh, not so much. Has not happened. Yet.

I keep those two (three) canteen filled, and figure worst-case scenario I have 67oz of potable water to puzzle out my next hydration step, or to thirsty beat feet. I guess I could boil tidal water to kill the Vibrios, bacteria and such, and rehydrate a Mt House pouch. But that’s gonna be really salty meal.

Our 1 L plastic wide mouths are light enough when empty but are a hefty 2.2 lbs each when filled. And the screw opening fits my new water filter, so that's a bonus.

That screw-cap adaptability to filter is a huge bonus, especially with a gravity filter. I’m still working on adapters so the gravity filter and pump filters fits all of our dromedary bags and water bottles.

As much as I'd much prefer to forgo this tomfoolery of which water container to consider and just dip a cup, but I'm uncomfortable with the quality of du l'eau au naturel. 'Cause ya never know. Squeamish may lead to foolish to hurlish.

Brad, from early childhood to age 16 I roamed the wood around our farm, and later, further afield around our family camp, all day long and into the night. With no canteen; I knew every spring head and creek in a 10 mile radius and suckled directly. Never had a problem, but I was a dirty faced farm boy, with lots of acquired immunity.

In my 20’s, roaming into the Rockies, I caught Giardia. Even with my largely asymptotic (except for stanky farts and malabsorption weight loss) I do not want to do that again.

I Don’t ever again want to see a more symptomatic friend endure it; stopping the ’67 VW bus every 30 minutes so Alan could run a (too-short) distance into the weeds beside I-70, groaning piteously while squirting his guts out, pants around his ankles, waving at passing traffic just off the shoulder. Man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

Including buying new underwear once you get home.

Yeah, I didn't consider the dromedary bag. While it is a water carrier it is not the first container type I reach for. My wife and I each have one. A very considerate daughter gave them to us. Each in an overbuilt pack they did came in handy once on a too-hot-to-ride-but-we-cycled-all-day-anyway Sunday in July. Heavy? Sure was, relatively. Life saver? Sure was, probably. But I can't see one or both tripping. Not when we're never too far from a fresh water source. (The whole point of our tripping really.)
Salt water tripping I'm unfortunately unacquainted with. I expect there's no messing around when it comes to ensuring a reliable supply of water. A day without food is a discomforting inconvenience. A day without water is a dangerous situation. I'd be tempted to bring blue water barrels or water pails with gamma lids. Crazy? Crazy heavy for sure. I've never considered how much potable water is required per day, especially for a tidal trip. I'd become obsessed with my water supply. I can imagine those 67 oz Kleen Kanteens could be the answer.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't consider the dromedary bag. While it is a water carrier it is not the first container type I reach for. My wife and I each have one. A very considerate daughter gave them to us. Each in an overbuilt pack they did came in handy once on a too-hot-to-ride-but-we-cycled-all-day-anyway Sunday in July

Brad, I wasn’t referring to wearable hydration packs with a sip tube, but to dromedary bags that hold 10 liters (2.6 gallons) of water. These things

P7261161 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those are Kelty Isotainer 10L dromedary bags. They are insulated and have a convenient pour nozzle at the bottom, which is a dispensing help. A lot of dromedary bags have only the fill cap, which can make dispensing water into a canteen or pot sloppy water wasteful.

(Those were the best “deal” ever on REI Outlets Deal of the Day; regularly $30+ each, they were somehow mispriced on clearance at less than $3. I bought 10 and gave 5 away to friends)

We have 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon Nalgene carboys. 5 gallons of water weighs 41 lbs, which is a hefty load in hand just to carry to and from camp; one 10L dromedary bag in each hand is easier. And, like Glenn’s soft plastic water containers, the dromedary bags get smaller as they are emptied.

Salt water tripping I'm unfortunately unacquainted with. I expect there's no messing around when it comes to ensuring a reliable supply of water. A day without food is a discomforting inconvenience. A day without water is a dangerous situation.
I've never considered how much potable water is required per day, especially for a tidal trip. I'd become obsessed with my water supply.

Living near the coast there are a lot of tidal tripping choices, but I bring dromedary bags of potable water in other places as well; silt laden desert rivers, and Carolinas blackwater rivers bounded by too many pig, chicken and turkey farms and runoff. I don’t even try to filter out that effluent (and most filters don’t remove viruses).

I’ve run out or nearly out of water a few times, couple of desert hikes, couple of tidal trips. I do not want to repeat those episodes. I’m not quite obsessed with my water supply, but I don’t waste it either. I watched a novice friend open the nozzle on a dromedary bag and leave it running while he washed his hands. Alan, what are you doing? STOP!

I keep the two (or three) Klean Kanteens topped off. The dromedary bag could leak or get punctured or critter nibbled, I have a lot of faith that those stainless steel water bottles will remain sound, and that I’ll have at least that much water left.

Er, “almost” topped off. I had a full to the brim SS Klean Kanteen sink like a rock in a capsize yard sale; I now leave a little buoyancy headspace in those water bottle. I expect the double-wall insulated ones do float.

EDIT: About that photo, I bring an empty dromedary bag even on freshwater trips. With a gravity filter I can fill the dromedary bag at camp and hang 10L of easy-to-dispense water.

Last edited:
You can boil water in the single wall Klean Canteens. It would probably be futile with the insulated version, assuming it wouldn't suffer damage.

Thank you, Mike. I guess. I can't resist a bargain, and of course, as long as I am ordering from REI, what else do I "need"? Of yes, this, that, ...

And a week from now the Deal of the Day is polarized sunglasses for $30. I don't know the brand quality as I wear corrective glasses and have prescription polarized sunnies.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/deal-of-the-day

Lance, I always look ahead on the REI Deal of the Day. Those may be good sunglasses, I have no idea.

I do know that good sunglasses, or at least sunglasses with good optics, make a huge difference. I wore inexpensive sunglasses for years, at best some $5 WallyWorld polarized sunglasses from the fishing aisle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...sses/186031810

The idea of sinking $70 sunglasses in the river was too much for me. Then, 15 years ago when I was doing gear reviews, I received a pair of $80 (at the time) Smiths. Good lord what a difference quality optics make; it was as if a literal veil had been lifted from my face.

I baby them, and still have them. I lost them once progging around on an overgrown marsh island; an hour’s desperate search later I found them in the bush. I figured I ought to have a second pair, just in case, and REI had a nearly identical pair of Smiths on sale 50% off.

“Nearly” identical; the second pair of Smiths are too tight on my head to wear comfortably and got relegated to backup sunglasses in the truck. Sunglasses are like shoes, I think you have to try them on before you buy.

I still have $5 Walmart polarized fisherman’s sunglasses as spares. I have been snowblind twice and cannot do bright light without sunglasses.

Thank you, Mike. I guess. I can't resist a bargain, and of course, as long as I am ordering from REI, what else do I "need"? Of yes, this, that, ...

Dave, 64oz is a massive water bottle. You could build up your muscles doing curls.

Walmart has a huge selection of double wall stainless containers for less than half the price of yeti, hydroflask, et al. It's all made in China anyway.

Well, haha, the skeptic -- me -- ordered one of those 64 oz insulated Klean Kanteen daily deals with an hour to go. But not for canoeing. Much too heavy.

I ordered it because, now that's it's finally hot and things are growing, I spent many hours this week mowing on my tractor, lopping branches and vines with my machetes and saws, and putting all sort sorts of fallen and chopped wood in my bucket loader -- all in 80 degree weather. I easily drink more than a liter of water every two hours, and my liter plastic soda bottle is always falling onto the deck of my tractor or the ground not long after the water, too, reaches 80 degrees.

So, I rationalized buying that 64 oz monster, which I hope can keep the water cool and can survive bashes and fall in the brush and woods. I think I'll tie some sort of lanyard on the loop top that I'll secure to the tractor. The dark amber color even sort of matches the Kubota color scheme.

tractor.jpg

This also gave me a chance to research things to save the $6.00 shipping -- my desire for a backup to my Jet Boil. I'm closing in on a Toaks alcohol burner and Firebox Nano stove.

^^^^For those of you always whining about portages, here you go! With another over head bar, it'd make a fine canoe hauler

Walmart has a huge selection of double wall stainless containers for less than half the price of yeti, hydroflask, et al. It's all made in China anyway.

Not just in China, in the same factory in China.

I have a friend who spends time in Chinese factories inspecting products, and his stories of knock offs, made on the same line with the same materials in the same way, but simply badged differently, are crazy.

The Yeti insulated tumblers are a good example. $30.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/yeti-...yABEgI8o_D_BwE

Ozark Trails $9 insulated tumbler. Exactly the same shape, same lid, made in the same factory with the same materials. Identical in every way.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...SABEgIb2fD_BwE

I’m uncomfortable with that design rip-off. I’m also uncomfortable with paying $30 for something that can be manufactured and shipped across the Pacific for 1/3 the cost.

What’s a man to do?

^^^^For those of you always whining about portages, here you go! With another over head bar, it'd make a fine canoe hauler

Naahh....he can just grab it with that three way bucket and carry it sideways.....

We've made a pot of morning coffee and put it in a 64 ounce Thermos for nearly 40 years. It keeps it fresh and hot all day but I ain't taking it on backpacking or canoeing trips.

Best regards to all,

Lance

So I've now put my 64 (liquid) oz, 29 (gravitational) oz insulated Klean Kanteen through several paces and it's a keeper.

This thing is a structural beast. Empty, Mickey Mantle could hit a baseball out of Yankee Stadium with it. Full, he could knock one out of a football stadium.

The mouth is big enough to take ice cubes. I put in one tray, 14 cubes, which might fill the beast up half way. Then I fill it with cold tap water. The ice lasts about 24 hours and the water, if there's any left, would surely stay cold for several more hours. I doubt the 100 hour advertising claim. However, it did stay iced in the blazing sun today, even though the outside was hot to the touch.

I was sure I was going to have to jury rig some sort of attachment mechanism to keep it still on my tractor . . . but, no . . . it fits snugly between my seat, the fender and my cruise control lever (which I've never used in 20 years).

tractor kleen canteen small.jpg

On non-tractor days, I use it in the house instead of the room temperature water bottles I've used for 30 years.

Thanks, Mr. McDIY, for the heads up on this fine product, which will be useful for many drinkathons . . . except while canoeing.

So I've now put my 64 (liquid) oz, 29 (gravitational) oz insulated Klean Kanteen through several paces and it's a keeper.

it did stay iced in the blazing sun today, even though the outside was hot to the touch.

Glenn, I know you declared that you don’t want to make a Reflectix Coozie for your tractor-borne 64oz Klean Kanteen that gets hot to the touch in the Connecticut sun. But I have lots of leftover Reflectix, the end of a roll of Flex-fix tape and your address. BWAHAHAHA!

P9110031 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Expected Delivery September 18. Or by Christmas.

Should be plenty of material to make a heat-shield coozie, maybe enough left over to make a holster for your dueling Titanium sporks.

Being No Tools Glenn I even included a pair of scissors with the kit. While those have “Safety Edge Blades”, appropriate for ages 4 and up, they are still pointy. No running with scissors.

P9110033 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

To complete the ensemble I included a DIY instruction sheet. In keeping with the tradition of late night screwups after I’ve had a few, an instruction sheet with a mistake. I printed a corrected version, had another beer and managed to stick the incorrect instructions in the package.

So you will have no excuses, here is the corrected version.

P9150005 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Back