• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Kevlar Canoes

Reaction score
Do old Kevlar canoe seem to still fetch a lot? I'm thinking of selling one my father left to me but I have no idea what to sell one for?

Sawyer not sure what year but early 80a maybe 16 17 feet. I probably should have mentioned that but I was thinking that the kevlar would be the only worthy piece.

A 35 year old Kevlar canoe is not particularly valuable.. It may fetch $400.. Kevlar degrades with age if stored exposed to UV rays. You can check out ranges of prices for your area on Craigslist.. There are always wildly optimistic selling prices..so go with a little realism.

Of course condition is everything. If it has been stored inside and the Kevlar is in good condition someone would be willing to pay more. Is it a skin coat (ultralight) or Gel Coat (expedition weight)? Location, length and weight and of course model would be helpful in pricing. A Cruiser at 17'9" would be desirable to a lot of folks, myself included.

Last edited:
If you are thinking of selling a used canoe knowing what you’ve got is an important first step.

The HIN (Hull Identification Number) is probably stamped or plated on the right stern below the gunwales outside of the hull. That HIN will at least identify the manufacturer and year.

Actual tape measured dimensions are equally important. Length from bow to stern, depth from bottom of the hull to top of gunwales at midships (just lay a board or yardstick across the gunwales and measure up from the floor), maximum width and width at the center of the gunwales (ie in the middle of the hull, measured from edge to edge of the hull material, not between the outer edges of the gunwales). I am surprised at the number of used canoes that are not measured, but only estimated, sometimes badly estimated, ie, 19 foot canoe that turned out to be a 16 footer.

Photos help, especially in determining kevlar or fiberglass, but those accurate measurements combined with the HIN will ID the model and year of most canoes. Post that information here and someone can probably identify the canoe.

Last edited:
If it's a Sawyer Champion, I'll call first dibs!! : )
Does it have to be the Champion or can it be a Champion 2?
There is a Facebook Page dedicated to Sawyers and other Michigan Canoes, boats found on Craigslist, EBAY and other sites, and the links are posted on the page. A few Champions and Champions 2s were posted in the last couple of months. It is a great site and the moderator, Joel, is near Flint. Where are you located? (You aren't Joel are you?) LOL.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SawerAndMichiganCanoes/

Last edited:
Back