• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

I think I'll just put this here (gruesome)

It was a pretty simple mistake, really. Making a lengthwise 3/8" x 3/8" dado cut on a 20" 2x4. I am normally very careful with the table saw, and especially with a dado blade. I'm almost a safety nazi at work, and it usually spills over into my shop at home. Blade always backed down when stopping work for any amount of time. Pusher employed whenever it's called for. Blade changes are made with breaker turned off at the box. Breaker is restored with the blade retracted.

Pusher was right there next to the fence - but this time, I let myself get in a hurry (too many tings on my schedule) and thoughtlessly neglected to pick it up and use it.....thinking foolishly that such a shallow cut wouldn't be such a threat. For whatever reason, the piece kicked back when I was almost done with the cut. This 3 hp saw spins really fast and will launch a block of wood like a bullet. That piece cleared the blade so quick that my hand was in it before I could react.

Without going into too much graphic detail, I think it's important to know that the blade nicked my ulnar artery. Had I been home alone when this happened, I would have been in much more serious trouble. As I was stemming the bleeding, my first thought (other than the horror and the pain) was that I simply must not pass out before I got help. Remember that when you are planning your work. My wife was a real trooper under stress - thank God.

Expediency is our enemy. My employer knows that if I am rushed I automatically slow down and raise awareness, as a habit. The company actually promotes that behavior, at the expense of local managers' stress levels. I am not such a good boss of myself at home, it seems. That problem ends right here, right now. Just as in my professional life, all work will begin only after answering the question...."what could go wrong?"

Making a lengthwise 3/8" x 3/8" dado cut on a 20" 2x4.

That's a little sobering. I'd hardly think twice about making such a seemingly simple cut. My push stick is always close by as well and I use it often but that's an instance where I know I've done without thinking it will be fine to push it through by hand. Getting bit by something so seemingly simple is a good reminder to be more religious about saw safety; especially since I'm always home alone and my dog probably wouldn't be able to dial 911 under the pressure. Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Well, that's why I started this thread - so I'm glad to see you getting some benefit from it, Alan. If it keeps others from going through this, I won't say that it's worth it - but it helps me feel better about it.

On the bright side, stitches are out now and I got the go-ahead to try some paddling on Monday.

Hey,
I'm new to this forum and also a keen woodworker. You are a very lucky man. You will make a full recovery and might even laugh about it one day. Just don't do it again!

Naw, I don't think I'll be laughing about it. I am a lucky guy though. In all my life, that is the only time I have experienced such true personal horror. I'll take that over a lot of things I've missed out on. Odds are very good though that I won't be doing that again.

Welcome to the forum, John!

You don't need power tools to mutilate yourself. On a trip down the Allagash in the late 1970s, my bride decided she wanted a pole to propel the canoe. I dutifully sawed down an aspen sapling and she set to work stripping the bark, using my Buck folder. As she prattled on about her theories of poling, she distracted herself and sliced off the tip of her little finger.

The first words out of my mouth were, "Wow, I got that knife pretty sharp, huh?" Her facial expression informed me of my communication error and I hurried to dig out the first-aid kit, which I employed with an abundance of solicitude.

We searched for the missing fingertip but did not find it. Strangely, our traveling companions' dog did spend the rest of the trip hanging around my bride.

You don't need power tools to mutilate yourself. On a trip down the Allagash in the late 1970s, my bride decided she wanted a pole to propel the canoe. I dutifully sawed down an aspen sapling and she set to work stripping the bark, using my Buck folder. As she prattled on about her theories of poling, she distracted herself and sliced off the tip of her little finger.

The first words out of my mouth were, "Wow, I got that knife pretty sharp, huh?" Her facial expression informed me of my communication error and I hurried to dig out the first-aid kit, which I employed with an abundance of solicitude.

We searched for the missing fingertip but did not find it. Strangely, our traveling companions' dog did spend the rest of the trip hanging around my bride.

The Allagash must have a propensity for fingers. Or was that your finger? The sawn off finger we dealt with had formerly been on a guy.
This was 1978 or so. We had just run Chase and the ranger was waiting for us and a few others at Bissonette Bridge The ranger had our gear and we had run empty IIRC ( at that time there still was a bridge). It was about lunch time and there were our two canoes and a couple of others. One of the other guys offered us a slice of homemade sausage. Who could resist?
He promptly sliced off a piece of sausage and a piece of third finger. I had just become an EMT and LO this was MY time to SAVE the day!! ;) He was bleeding a great deal. The Ranger just stood there kind of in shock. Hubby yelled at the Ranger for a 4X4 ( bandage not truck). Ranger kind of did not move. Hubby saw first aid kit in the cab grabbed it , shoved Ranger aside and I just held direct pressure to the hapless finger owner. He was now sitting down. I don't remember what happened to the sausage.
A few more 4x4 layers and the bleeding stopped. We found the finger tip.. put it in sterile gauze and cold water ( we had no ice) in a baggie. By this time Ranger had called for air evac. from Umsaskis. the next lake down

We sent the finger owner with his baggie back in the canoe and a float plane picked him up on Umsaskis and took him to Greenville for consult with doc. We did see him back on the river, some dollars poorer with a fixed "FU" finger all bandaged up( it was his grip finger so this was interesting). It was just a hiccup in the trip.

We will be back this year for the 50th anniversary. Perhaps we should buy Kevlar gloves?

And that's the reason I started using short stubby blades for dressing my deer years ago.

Back