• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

FS: Mad River Kevlar Explorer and Roylex Flashback

Reaction score
Advanced age forces us to sell our 2 Mad River canoes which we have owned since the 1980's. I would like these to go to good homes and be appreciated as much as we have over the past 30+ years, so have them priced low to reflect this.

I don't want to clutter up the ad with photos but if you want to see more, just ask in this thread and I will put more in for you to view.

$800.00

MAD RIVER Explorer KEVLAR Canoe16 ft 6

Strong Kevlar hull and extremely light at 57 lbs. This is a long distance canoe. Perfect for canoe camping and exploring. It has the padded portage yoke so it is comfortable to carry.when you have to.

Great older MAD RIVER large Explorer model CANOE. One of the best of the Mad River canoes, it is useful for touring and camping and also for day paddling around the pond.

Made of strong light weight Kevlar material, all hand made in the 1980s. Easy to paddle and maneuver, holds lots of gear and is very stable. One of the best Mad River designs. We have owned it for many years but are now selling our lake place so have to sell both canoes.

In excellent condition, stored inside for the last 30 years. I removed the MR Kevlar decals ages ago as I did not want to advertise that it was an expensive canoe.

Lightweight, strong, and nimble in the water. It is easily handled by 2 people, a fun canoe, hate to see it go. Good family canoe since it is so stable, take the kids and show them nature!

Local Pickup: Near Keene NH. SW New Hampshire

20180815100548-732b7274.jpg

$550.00 SOLD

MAD RIVER Flashback Canoe 13 ft

Rare MAD RIVER Royalex Canoe, circa 1982,"Flashback" model designed by National Champion John Berry in the early 1980s. Bought new in 1982 for $1800 with custom seat and flotation bags.

Always stored inside, rarely used, in excellent condition. These do not come on the market anymore.
A fun canoe designed for both calm water or for white water, prefect for the solo paddler.

Paid $1800 new in the 1980s.. Great little canoe! These rarely come up for sale, and are not made anymore
From the original 1982 catalog -- "A slim, yet surprisingly stable canoe with high rockered ends designed for extra maneuverability. It handles like a closed canoe, yet has the comfort and roominess of the open boat. It is a length and weight that a solo woman paddler finds ideal for pleasure paddling."

Specifications from the catalog --
Length -- 13 ft
Weight -- 52 pounds
Width -- 29 1/2"
Depth at center -- 14"

Local Pickup: Near Keene NH.

Last edited:
What is your location?
Need to know information for anyone who purchases one of your canoes/

BOB

photo10198.jpgphoto10199.jpgphoto10200.png I'm afraid a trip from central Missouri to New Hampshire for a canoe is out of the question.
If you were a hundred miles away; it might already be in my canoe barn/loafer's shed.
I have a Flashback (pictured), but would really like one with wood trim, and yours appears to be in excellent condition.
Fun little canoe to play around with; if you have the skills to deal with it.

BOB

"You can dance with the river, but you have to know the steps".

Last edited:
It is hard to read the SN stamping in the hull but it appears to be 1982 (which is around the time I recall purchasing it). This would be either the first or 2nd year they were made.

I agree, you have to know how to use a whitewater canoe to get the most enjoyment out of it.

Condition of the Flashback is "as purchased" 36 years ago. It has always been inside our boat/guest/ house when it was not on the water.

Last edited:
Back