• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Ed's Canoe

Reaction score
I have heard others say they got this or that for their canoe from Ed's, so I checked out their website and found some neat stuff for canoes. I think their seats are very nice at a reasonable price. It's a family owned business, not a one person outfit, so I would say they fit into the spirit of this Forum.
http://www.edscanoe.com/index.html

Great company. I have had them make me a few custom sized seats. Custom work at a low price.

Funny, today when we, came home from store, there was a nice box on porch. Kneeling thwart for prospector. Craftsmanship, is great I liked the raduis on the wood. price was very reasonable, nice lady took my order. Ravenwolf'

There was a time when I made all of the webbed seats, yokes and thwarts for shop rebuilds. I think I first ordered a seat from Ed’s because I was in a hurry. It was well made and, upon reflection, relatively inexpensive considering what it took me to DIY a simple wood seat .

To DIY a seat I needed to rip and router, sand and varnish some lengths of ash for the frame. I am slow in the shop, and prefer to wait for good weather to varnish.

And varnish, and varnish. Three coats at least. A few more on the butt ends. Given a preference for good weather this could take me weeks. Stretched webbing, stainless steel staples. Time and materials are starting to add up.

So, materials + labor + a couple of weeks? Why the heck am I building seats? And those were the most simplistic of flat bench seats. Making a DIY contour seat is beyond my point of befuddlement.

Having accepted that, it was easy to see that the same applied to all but the most customized thwarts and yokes.

When I made seats and thwarts and yokes I would typically do a production run and cut and router enough pieces to do several boats. I still have a bunch of shop stock of yokes and thwarts needing final sanding and varnishing.

And I still just order from Ed’s instead.

Has anyone used Ed's contoured seats? I'm building a special canoe right now, instead of making my usual ugly seats, thought I might try them out. They look nice...wonder how they are for comfort...

Has anyone used Ed's contoured seats? I'm building a special canoe right now, instead of making my usual ugly seats, thought I might try them out. They look nice...wonder how they are for comfort...

Ed has a couple of contoured seats. I find for me the Contoured seat that came in my Nomad not quite right. I am old and my back picky. My back is not your back. I prefer Ed' s Contoured Bucket seats. Fine for kneeling and keeps me on the seat better for sitting with a footbar and using hit and switch technique.

Not only do they look nice, they are not cheezy. You might be able to build them for the price Ed charges, but I couldn't. I think I have the plain contour rattling around in the barn somewhere though. If you weren't UP there where postage is the equivalent of a daily food budget..

I have one of Ed's contoured seats. Just what I needed. Would use Ed again.

Back