• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Discontinued canoe you wish was made again?

G

Thinking about the Sad to Hear no-more Malecite thread, if you had to pick one discontinued canoe model that you wish some manufacturer, past or current, would bring back, what is it?

It’s hard to pick just one, I can think of several canoes I would lust after, especially if produced with modern materials and construction techniques, but expect most are on other paddler’s Wish they made them again list.

A modern composite Mad River Courier or Guide, or even Freedom Solo, would be at the top of my list.

Based on my VERY limited experience with solo canoes, my choice would the Mad River Independence

Not in the same classic class as the Malecite, but I like the Wenonah Canak concept a lot. I was surprised it was not received more favorably. I've paddled one quite a bit. Discontinued roughly 10 years ago.

The Canak is sort of half way between the Bell Rob Roy and the Kruger Sea Wind. Low 40s lbs, similar to a decked, lower profile Prism.

As an aside, I see in the Piragis catalogue that Wenonah is evidently collaborating with Northstar for special editions Prism and Polaris in carbon/innegra/kevlar. Now if Wenonah would make a Canak in carbon/innegra/kevlar, or make a modified Canak with carbon hatches, or eliminate the hatches, scale it up, put a rudder on it, and call it a sea canoe. Man, that would be interesting! Not that I would or could buy it, heh heh.

I would love to have a Bell Morningstar in Blacklite or carbon fiber/innegra as Dave mentioned. Greatest solo tripping boat ever made! Alas mine is only in kevlar.

Not in the same classic class as the Malecite, but I like the Wenonah Canak concept a lot. I was surprised it was not received more favorably. I've paddled one quite a bit. Discontinued roughly 10 years ago.

The Canak is sort of half way between the Bell Rob Roy and the Kruger Sea Wind. Low 40s lbs, similar to a decked, lower profile Prism.

As an aside, I see in the Piragis catalogue that Wenonah is evidently collaborating with Northstar for special editions Prism and Polaris in carbon/innegra/kevlar. Now if Wenonah would make a Canak in carbon/innegra/kevlar, or make a modified Canak with carbon hatches, or eliminate the hatches, scale it up, put a rudder on it, and call it a sea canoe. Man, that would be interesting! Not that I would or could buy it, heh heh.

Have you seen these? https://www.clippercanoes.com/collections/solo-canoes/products/sea-1. 56 pounds, though.

Another vote for Bell Morningstar. Very nice small tandem, solo for big guy. Wonder where the mold is? CEW probably knows but haven’t heard from him recently.
Also Curtis Nomad. Understand Colden is no longer active.
Two boats (of many) I wish I hadn’t sold.

My second choice, but in carbon fiber

I have a friend with a skin coated kevlar. It's a sweet little boat. It's the only one I've seen in person. Must have been only a handful of them ever sold. I remember trying to research it online and finding next to nothing.

Alan

I have a friend with a skin coated kevlar. It's a sweet little boat. It's the only one I've seen in person. Must have been only a handful of them ever sold. I remember trying to research it online and finding next to nothing.

Wenonah Whisper

https://wenonah.com/Retired/Whisper.aspx

The Morningstar is a canoe I lust after to soloize, but it would have to be in need of repair cheap to loosen my purse strings.

A friend who was ISO such a canoe found a Blackgold Morningstar in perfect condition on Ebay a few weeks ago. It came with – no joke – 11 paddles.

I figured it would go north of $1500, maybe closer to two grand. It went for $1350, but said friend had already bought a different canoe.

Now if Wenonah would make a Canak in carbon/innegra/kevlar, or make a modified Canak with carbon hatches, or eliminate the hatches, scale it up, put a rudder on it, and call it a sea canoe. Man, that would be interesting!

The mention of a modified Canak reminds me of one of my Holy Grail unicorns, the Wilderness Systems Pamlico 145T-Pro, a kevlar redesign of the poly 145T. Soloized the poly Pamlico 145T makes a delightful decked “canoe”, and sails like a champ.

The 145T-Pro was a bit bigger, 15’ 1” x 30”, 425lb capacity, 56lbs in kevlar with rudder. Also $3500 when last produced nearly 20 years ago.

At that price Wilderness didn’t sell many of them, and in a decade of searching I found exactly one for sale used. More than I wanted to spend, and a 12 hour drive away. None the less, I was in.

Then the seller mentioned that it had “a crack”. Not a problem, but can you send me photos?

She had stored it in her garage and backed her car into it, pinning it against the wall, crushing both sides, shattering the gel coat and splintering the kevlar fabric. Despite trashing the hull she wasn’t budging on the price. I passed.

I just glad i have a Colden Nomad. it's the best lake solo I have tried, sexy too.

Back