• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Curtis/Colden Nomad mold

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the Nomad mold has gone? My daily driver is a 1987 in fiberglass and I'm seeing if I can get one laid up in Kevlar.

From an earlier post:

"DY and Curtis updated the larger Solo Tripper in 1985 with Nomad, at 15’4”X28.5/26.5”, symmetrically hulled with shouldered tumblehome and symmetrical rocker. The hull had increased stem layout so waterline is shorter than overall length indicates. Yost also designed a wood and Dacron 15’ X29/26” solo tripper, Mistral, for Loon works in1989. Molded by Colden Canoe in the mid 2010s, the Nomad mold was destroyed at DY’s suggestion in 2021."

From an earlier post:

"DY and Curtis updated the larger Solo Tripper in 1985 with Nomad, at 15’4”X28.5/26.5”, symmetrically hulled with shouldered tumblehome and symmetrical rocker. The hull had increased stem layout so waterline is shorter than overall length indicates. Yost also designed a wood and Dacron 15’ X29/26” solo tripper, Mistral, for Loon works in1989. Molded by Colden Canoe in the mid 2010s, the Nomad mold was destroyed at DY’s suggestion in 2021."
Destroyed?!?!? That's tragic. I wonder why that decision was made?

Thanks for letting me know!

I have a Kevlar Nomad that is my favorite boat and I’ve had since new in the ‘90’s. I paddled Hemlock‘s Peregrine at the western PA solo canoe rendezvous and if blindfolded wouldn’t have known the difference. If blindfolded I would have run into the shore or another canoe for sure... Rob

Thanks for letting me know!
There are 2 newer generations of DY's large solo touring designs in production (Swift Kewaydin 15 & Northstar Northwind Solo). Dave Curtis at Hemlock Canoe has his redesign of the Nomad in the Peregrine and it appears Red Feather may be putting the old Bell Merlin II back into production. All of those hulls are at least 2 generations newer than the Nomad, so that makes a very crowded market to continue what DY would probably consider an outdated design.

[Quoting a DY history authored by Charlie Wilson:]
Molded by Colden Canoe in the mid 2010s, the Nomad mold was destroyed at DY’s suggestion in 2021.

There are 2 newer generations of DY's large solo touring designs in production (Swift Kewaydin 15 & Northstar Northwind Solo). Dave Curtis at Hemlock Canoe has his redesign of the Nomad in the Peregrine and it appears Red Feather may be putting the old Bell Merlin II back into production. All of those hulls are at least 2 generations newer than the Nomad, so that makes a very crowded market to continue what DY would probably consider an outdated design.

Roger, nice to see you post again.

A more cynical interpretation as to why DY would have suggested destroying the Nomad mold after Colden Canoe went out of business—Colden having been a company with which DY had an affiliation—is that DY wanted to minimize any potential resurrections of the Nomad by another, competitor company with which he currently has no royalty agreements. I'm not saying that's a fact or there's anything wrong with such a position, but I'm just putting it out as a logical possibility as to why the destruction of the mold might have been suggested.

Roger, nice to see you post again.

A more cynical interpretation as to why DY would have suggested destroying the Nomad mold after Colden Canoe went out of business—Colden having been a company with which DY had an affiliation—is that DY wanted to minimize any potential resurrections of the Nomad by another, competitor company with which he currently has no royalty agreements. I'm not saying that's a fact or there's anything wrong with such a position, but I'm just putting it out as a logical possibility as to why the destruction of the mold might have been suggested.
DY resurrected the Nomad but did not get royalties. Thr money that was to go to him went to a charity he worked closely with
Each Colden Canoe has a different trademark: DY kids
Erica it on your DF too

Back