• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Any experience or reviews of Abitibico canoes?

Reaction score
It's one of the few brands I may be able to get here in NL. I've never heard of them and would like to know how they stack up. Thanks.

If you mean Abitibi and Co canoes, they picked up the Bluewater and Scott designs when Mid Canada Fibreglass of New Liskeard went under in 2013. I like their commitment to being local in Canada. ( there are boats made in China from other makers!)
I think you will enjoy this article
http://www.canoekayak.com/news/industry-updates/let-my-people-go-paddling/

I would so go for them if I were in the market for a canoe. Bluewater is a little more performance oriented.

One shop I use to work for in the past up here always carried Scott's freighter canoes, and he did continue to do the same since the new owners Abitibi and Co took over. he brought in a canoe this year, and it look great, nothing fancy but look like it is well made I think it is the river dancer, a prospectorish 16 footer I think. The one he brought in is a fiver glass layup, but I think the same boat with a finer/lighter lay up would actually be a good canoe.

The only thing that I didn't like since the guys from Quebec took over, is the cheepo pill and stick "skid plate" instead of the kevlar Mid fibreglass was using.. on a hot summer day, the stuff was actually peeling off!!

Other than that I wouldn't be afraid to go with one of there boats!

They have excellent options for customization. Their collaboration with Norquay Co is just beautiful, but it adds quite a lot to the price.
You should also check out completepaddler.ca - they're based in Toronto, but offer free shipping across Canada. The owner, Kelly, is a really cool dude. I'm sure he'd help you find what you're looking for.

Back